R6 stator LH engine cover on fz6

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there my names dan this is my first post. I love this forum and always get the info I need on here from you helpful people. Unfortunately this evening whilst riding home I hit some gravel on the rad at about 30 and I've managed to damage my gear lever, rear axle thread, scratched the LH engine cover, the bar end and the brake lever (pazzo) :( . This is the first off I've had and I'm pretty gutted. But hey these things happen and I'm ok. What I was wondering was whether a r6 cover would fit, the bolt pattern looks very similar. The reason Im considering a r6 cover is that they're a lot cheaper than a fz6 cover. Any insight would be much appreciated. I should phone my local council and complain! Cheers guys

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
No it won't fit, the cover may, but the old stator inside won't as the bolt hole patterns are different.

I bought an r6 stator to replace my broken one, but it doesn't fit. You also wouldn't be able to use an r6 cover with r6 stator as it is wound the wrong way for our bikes and won't produce much power

Last edited:

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
No it won't fit, the cover may, but the old stator inside won't as the bolt hole patterns are different.

I bought an r6 stator to replace my broken one, but it doesn't fit. You also wouldn't be able to use an r6 cover with r6 stator as it is wound the wrong way for our bikes and won't produce much power

ah ok i thought somone on here would have tried. ive looked on the net and you can get an oem cover for 50 usd but i called my local yam dealer here and its £118! im not desperate for it im just really picky and hate seeing my bike this this as its my only form of transport and i look at it every day. thanks guys.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure and check to see if your bar is bent. I just installed a new one, only to see when comparing bends between old bar and new bar that the old bar was bent and I didn't even know! Though I had been wondering why the rear view mirror in one side showed a lot more elbow than the other. From the drop that caused the bend, there was only a small scratch on the end to clue me in.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
depending on the damage you could try getting it repaired/resprayed

some people hae had success just colouring it in with a permanent marker...

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
depending on the damage you could try getting it repaired/resprayed

some people hae had success just colouring it in with a permanent marker...

I bought a tube of Yamaha black touch up paint and painted my scratches, but in direct light you can tell the difference between the shades and it's hideous. Nothing beats a full sand/respray.

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
Bringing up an old thread... but has anyone actually replaces the cover? Is it literally unbolt, replace gasket (?), bolt back on? I've read about other bikes on which you need to drain coolant, oil, etc.

If anyone could chime in I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what you need to know:

How to: Replace Stator (Generator Rotor) Cover : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

I just replaced the cover and the only difficult part is removing the bolts holding the stator (the inside torx bolts). I put the old cover on the ground between my knees and used and extension to allow me to lay on top of the wrench so it wouldn't slip; if you have a vise that could make it easy as well. Don't forget to use loctite for the four inside bolts.

You will need a new gasket, some high temp RTV (to seal the plug pass through), threadlocker (medium), and the cover itselft. Tools: hex key/wrench to lift tank, hex key to remove case, torx bit to remove stator/wire hold down screws, torque wrench to assemble.

If you can get your hand under the tank, you don't necessarily have to lift it, but I was think I ended up trying to undo the wrong plug initially and found it quicker to just slightly raise it to reach in and disconnect the plug.

All in all quite simple, no need to drain any fluids. Use care if working on it on the center stand.

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
Thanks man. I think this <mostly> confirmed my thoughts that I'd rather have the dealer do this during next oil change... small piece of mind vs regretting it down the line.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what you need to know:

How to: Replace Stator (Generator Rotor) Cover : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

I just replaced the cover and the only difficult part is removing the bolts holding the stator (the inside torx bolts). I put the old cover on the ground between my knees and used and extension to allow me to lay on top of the wrench so it wouldn't slip; if you have a vise that could make it easy as well. Don't forget to use loctite for the four inside bolts.

You will need a new gasket, some high temp RTV (to seal the plug pass through), threadlocker (medium), and the cover itselft. Tools: hex key/wrench to lift tank, hex key to remove case, torx bit to remove stator/wire hold down screws, torque wrench to assemble.

If you can get your hand under the tank, you don't necessarily have to lift it, but I was think I ended up trying to undo the wrong plug initially and found it quicker to just slightly raise it to reach in and disconnect the plug.

All in all quite simple, no need to drain any fluids. Use care if working on it on the center stand.

+1 on the above.

The only thing would do differently is not unplug the stator. Once the cover is un-bolted from the engine, put the old cover on a very sturdy work stool right up next to the bike. Don't bother raising the tank.

Using a HAND IMPACT wrench (turns as you hit it with a hammer) is a must have tool, especially in this application. Put your torx bit in the impact tool and break her loose. Heat to the loctite usually helps its really stuck...

If you strip the torx heads up you'll now need to start drilling the bolt heads off, get new bolts, etc.

As stated above, reinstall the stator and bolts with locktite and button her up. You may get a little dribble of oil come out and may possibly need a new gasket if it tears coming off...