R6 fork mod, would this work?

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
eBay Motors: 03~05 YAMAHA R6 06~09 R6S FRONT END FORKS SUSPENSION (item 190301110060 end time Apr-25-09 17:55:00 PDT)

Pretty good deal at $300 shipped, if no one else bids.

Is this what one would need for an R6 fork mod?

If it is, I REALLY wish I knew about the stability of my job (I'm the only intern that has been working through school, they haven't decided yet if they're going to have any interns come back for the summer yet due to budget cuts and they haven't invited any of them back, even though I'm still here and working and the semester is over, they might come in and say next week, sorry, good luck finding other summer work after everything is already gone 2 months before the semester is over) otherwise I would buy this up.

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well.. i am in the same boat.. if i knew the job was fully secure, i would buy up the stuff for an r6 fork conversion right now..

other than the forks and calipers, you'll need the shims or have someone machine a set of wheel spacers for you.. if you want the spacer information, shoot me a pm with your email and ill email you all the master cad files and some of the more in depth pictures i have.. good luck with the job.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
Yup, that is a pretty good deal. Just need the axle & brake spacers, and something to get the front fender back int he right spot (or R6 fender).

You sure won't regret the mod :rockon:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
could someone who has a bit more info on this post up everythign he needs to do this mod or at least correct my list if i am missing something

-r6 forks 03-04 / r6s forks 07-on
-r6 calipers -03-04 / rs6 calipers 07-on
-r6 axel
-r6 axel nut

-either the wheel spacers or the shims

thansk all.. just want to make sure this member has all the correct infomation to do this swap..

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
Doesn't need the R6 calipers since he's putting them on an '07, which is the same caliper.

It must be R6S forks, not R6R.

R6S axle & nut.

Wheel spacers

Brake caliper shims

Fender set-up like I mentioned above.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't need the R6 calipers since he's putting them on an '07, which is the same caliper.

It must be R6S forks, not R6R.

R6S axle & nut.

Wheel spacers

Brake caliper shims

Fender set-up like I mentioned above.

thanks for the correctiong and help man :thumbup:

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I got the files. I am going to model them up, and create prints and save them as a .pdf so anyone from now on will have access to the required part prints so long as they can print the .pdf's off and take them to a local machine shop.

I am also going to have several sets of these made.

As I understand it, this is what is needed from the 03-05 R6 / 06+ R6S to modify a 2007+ FZ6:

Forks
Axle
Axle nut

What needs to be machined:

Front Brake Spacer x 4
Front Wheel Spacer x 2
Fender Tabs x 2

What would a set of the req'd machine parts sell for?

Maybe if I make enough I can finance my swap. But, I don't want to rip anyone off.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I got the files. I am going to model them up, and create prints and save them as a .pdf so anyone from now on will have access to the required part prints so long as they can print the .pdf's off and take them to a local machine shop.

I am also going to have several sets of these made.

As I understand it, this is what is needed from the 03-05 R6 / 06+ R6S to modify a 2007+ FZ6:

Forks
Axle
Axle nut

What needs to be machined:

Front Brake Spacer x 4
Front Wheel Spacer x 2
Fender Tabs x 2

What would a set of the req'd machine parts sell for?

Maybe if I make enough I can finance my swap. But, I don't want to rip anyone off.

i believe that last time they were sold it was around $55.. but im not 100% on that.. oh and you'll need some screews for the fender tabs.. i have no idea what kind/slize as i never was told.. im sur it's an easy find.. oh and shoot me back the pdf's whne you are done.. i kinda help host some of these files so that we all have access to them.. thanks man..

let me know how much a set would be from your pop's :thumbup:

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
4 fender tabs, 2 front & 2 rear.

I hate that SBN is down right now, but there is an EXCELLENT fork mod thread in there, and there are already drawings of all the parts you need (I made dwgs and parts). I could send the dwgs to you if you'd like, but it would have to be later, from home. They are TIF's.

You could also go here: 2008 Riding Photos pictures, photos, and videos, from motorcycles on webshots and click on the drawing you want, then click the image & make it full-size, then right-click & save-as.

Here's more pics of the install. I don't remember I made a thread on here or just on SBN :confused: 2008 Riding Photos pictures, photos, and videos, from motorcycles on webshots

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I remember whoever used to machine the R6 adapter kit for our bikes on SBN offered the cad files for anyone that wanted to recreate them. I have that kit on mine and it's really top notch, especially the fender mount adapters

One thing I'll add to everything that's been said above, you might want to budget in a set of front braided lines (FZ6 length, not R6), since you're replacing the calipers go all the way

I gotta say I really lucked out when I did my conversion. Found a local guy who sold his FZ6 and never bothered to put on the R6 forks which he bought all of the parts for to get it done. I got the forks/full R6 brakes/braided lines/adapter kit for dirrrt cheap

oh and I think it's only the forward fender tab that needs to be moved a tiny bit so you only need two fender adapters

Last edited:

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
One thing I'll add to everything that's been said above, you might want to budget in a set of front braided lines since you're replacing the calipers.

caliper replacement is optional on '07 and newer. It is the same caliper that is already on the R6S, except for the blue plugs.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
caliper replacement is optional on '07 and newer. It is the same caliper that is already on the R6S, except for the blue plugs.

you're right, I just have an '06 centric mind :)

still not a bad idea to get the braided lines though

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dako81 - yes you only need 2 fender tabs..

regder - i wasnt the original person who made the spacers, i just got all the files from him and decided that I'll host them.. if anyone wants them shoot me an pm or email me @ [email protected] and ill send you over all the files that a machine shop will need..

anyone who is getting a set machined, please let me know because i would really like a set and the price would be better if more sets we made... thanks all

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Dako81 - yes you only need 2 fender tabs..

regder - i wasnt the original person who made the spacers, i just got all the files from him and decided that I'll host them.. if anyone wants them shoot me an pm or email me @ [email protected] and ill send you over all the files that a machine shop will need..

anyone who is getting a set machined, please let me know because i would really like a set and the price would be better if more sets we made... thanks all

I'm sure if you called around some local machine shops they wouldn't mind whipping them up for you on the cheap. The wheel and caliper spacers are dead simple, the fender adapters are trickier but I'm sure any decent shop could figure them out no problem.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure if you called around some local machine shops they wouldn't mind whipping them up for you on the cheap. The wheel and caliper spacers are dead simple, the fender adapters are trickier but I'm sure any decent shop could figure them out no problem.

oh im sure.. but last time i check it was like $80 for a set and that wasnt the brake shims (yes i know we can buy them from mc-master)... no one here at the time thought it was a worthwhile venture... maybe now since the economy blows we could get them cheaper, but i'd have to check... figured if someone else was getting a set done, let me know how much and i might be up for a set...