Quick question - How to remove drive chain

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
The service manual says to use a "Drive chain cutter". Whatever that is. How do I remove it? Move the rear wheel forward enough to take it off, or what?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends if you want to use it again, but assuming you want to fit a new continuous chain you will need to take the swing arm off, so no need for the cutter.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't have a master link to remove, then yes, you need to first GET a master link then cut a link to remove it. Reassemble with the new master link.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't have a master link to remove, then yes, you need to first GET a master link then cut a link to remove it. Reassemble with the new master link.

Hmmm, don't know if I would feel comfortable riding a bike with a master link in the chain... my old 50cc had one but that was it.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, don't know if I would feel comfortable riding a bike with a master link in the chain... my old 50cc had one but that was it.

EVERY aftermarket chain comes unassembled with a masterlink.
I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you're riding a turbo busa.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Argh! I just wanted to take it off to clean it, no can do without putting a masterlink in it apparently. Thanks for the replies! I'll just do my best with it on.