Questions for fathers

sfcali86

Proud Dad
Reaction score
Visit site
im gonna be a dad in less then 4 weeks im a little worried that once my baby comes along my ridding time will be vastly reduced i curently use it for commute, but i like having a fun ride when i can any of you dads out there stop ridding at all, when you became a father? or anybody experience a reduction of ridding time? just curiouse to hear some opinions. Dont get me wrong ill want to spend time with my new born, just wondering if ill end up stuffing my helmet in the closet for a while i know its not a bike question but hopefully i get some replies:D

buccs40oz

Reaction score
Visit site
i was a dad when i got mine. with my wife working and me working it is hard to find time to get out and ride(for me). i ride to and from work all the time when it is nice but it all depends you may find your self making excuses not to ride so you can spend time with your kid. it will be a great trip being a dad. i am sure it will all balance out for you. you may not ride as much but it will be worth staying home

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was riding off-road when I became a Dad. I had a Yamaha DT175 that I had converted to dirt only and modded the crap out of. I also had a Honda ATC 350s, the big 3-wheeler. My ride time was significantly reduced and after two years of being Dad, I realized that I wanted to devote all my time to the kids and my wife so I sold all the toys.

The kids came first for the next 16 years. We did our best to spoil them when it was right without making them Apron-string Brats. Worked out well! As soon as they were all 18 yrs old, we went out and bought the bikes. We felt we deserved being able to treat ourselves and sort of felt guilty for it, actually. But now, I have no issues buying something new.

I ramble.... sorry! The answer is yes as it should be. You need to be there for your child. This is a big part of being a parent, being there for the tike to hug, laugh with, teach, learn, help, read to, explore with and impress upon them to simply be the best person they can be.

16 years sounds like a lot right now, doesn't it? Guess what? It seems like YESTERDAY for me still! My God, how the time just disappeared! Please, take ALL the time you can and be an involved parent, every moment you can. Your child will thank you someday (ignore the days they scream they hate you because they didn't get their way... and parents are stupid.... and "It's MY life, Dad!") and you'll then understand where all this came from.

Congrats! Good luck! Hug your child often!

Dunny

Hit the road jack
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now the juggling act begins, yes it is fair to say that your riding time will be reduced, but what a way to have it reduced. There still will time to have your time. (you will think there isn't) use it sensibly you will have more responsibilities soon.

hope all goes well.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have ridden bikes all my adult life,well before kids.I bought I new one when my oldest was just four months old .I didn't get to ride socially much then because all my mates gave up bikes when they had kids..........and they hated it !

My wife actually encouraged me to keep riding ,she said I would be miserable if I didn't .I commute on it everyday but family commitments do greatly reduce your riding for fun moments.I don't regret having kids,Tomorrow is my sons first game of football for a club and I wouldn't miss it for anything.

I look forward to the day when my oldest can come with me and we can enjoy the freedom together,father and son,could there be anything better ?

What I,m trying to say is yes your riding time will reduce ,but the replacement is worth it ,but don't give it up completely ,you will live to regret it .

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
First off - congratulations on the upcoming addition. Yes I ride less since my son was born (he's 18 months). I commute more but my random fun rides are down - in frequency but mostly in length. It's much easier to shoot out for a quick hour ride than it is to squeeze in a day trip now.

Unfortunately it's just the way it is - you will have this new, ultra-important person around and you have to put time into it - that was time you used to something else with - ride, watch TV, hang out with your friends, whatever. IMO you have to make sure you still do some of all those things but it just won't be as much as it used to be. About the only thing you won't do less of is work.

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it will depend on how flexible you and your significant other are. I've got three young kids (6, 4, & 2) and still find time to ride/work on the bike to even include going to the track. Things at first with an infant will be rough will less riding time, but it will pick up as he/she gets older IMHO....

Oh, hope for a girl :)

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the upcoming baby. You will find that this will be a life changing event. It really matters to you what matters the most, but you'll see that you wouldn't want to miss those precious childhood milestones. Like mentioned before your time on the bike will probably be cut down to hour trips instead of day trips. For obvious reasons you'd need to tag team the care for the new baby.... you would need to step up while the wife takes a mental and physical break from the full time job of caring and vice versa. You will find in the end that it's all worth it and all your worries about ride time was uncalled for. Besides there are weekend rides that can be coordinated with the wife, I'm 40 this year with a 12, 7 and 5, on certain weekends I go for a bike run with my buddies down the shore but before or after I make sure I have some time with the kids. I love having time with the little ones and you'll see they love it too by the looks on their faces. This is always something to look forward too more than my bike ride, but I still enjoy riding.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! Nice shootin' Tex!:D

You may see a reduction in riding time immediately after the big event. A newborn is a major life change. There will be times when you will need to have some "me" time, and what better way than to go riding. Just remember, mom will need some "me" time too.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org

You may see a reduction in riding time immediately after the big event. A newborn is a major life change. There will be times when you will need to have some "me" time, and what better way than to go riding. Just remember, mom will need some "me" time too.

Well said, I would change You may see to You will see, but the rest is spot on :)

Congratulations :steve:!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
you won't worry once it's here. my hobby before my kids was building tube guitar amps. 3 years and counting and i've yet to build a new amp. sometimes i miss it, but i wouldn't trade my two girls for anything. and yeah, i don't get a whole lot of - i'm going out for a ride - time... but i commute to work and take it on longer trips. so i still get plenty of ride time in.

congrats btw. :thumbup: life will never be the same. :rockon:

S

somedayrider

coming from a kid my dad said he didnt ride that much unless weekends and work but now adays me and my dad cant get separated from each other or the bike defenetly give away some time but not all of it and hopefully theyll love motorcycles to and you can do alot of it whith no complaints! :) o and congrats

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
This is one of those "you have to decide what's right for you" things. I did give up bikes for about 15 years after our son was born. Plenty of personal reasons but they made sense to us. Now my son's 19 and I've been back on the bike for two years. I missed riding back then but have no regrets - had plenty of Dad + family time with our son. In some ways, maybe I appreciate the me time more now...

Crotalus

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't learn to ride til about a year and a half ago, when my daughter was just over 2 years old. Making time for the family will be of the upmost importance right now, but once things settle down I don't see riding once or twice a week for pleasure being an issue. Most of my jaunts are no longer than 2 hours, mind you, but I don't like riding for longer than that anyway. Also, my dad didn't have a bike most of my youth, as he couldn't afford it with the family. But I have taken a half day trip with him since he got his new bike (some kawi cruiser).

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
5553915.png

Attachable passenger seat for two-wheeled vehicle - US Patent 5553915 Description

You're welcome.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Or if that doesnt work for you:

monotracer-image-4.jpg

The two seat MonoTracer is an enclosed motorcycle that allows you to ride your bike with out messing up your hair - no wind and no helmet. If you miss the wind on your face, it has a small moonroof.

Available in 6 colors, the MonoTracer has motorcycle-type handlebars and retractable tires that can be down if you are calmly commuting through rush hour traffic or moved into the up position if you are working out your road rage at the race track. Just so you make it back to work on Monday, it is reinforced with aluminum crash and roll bars.

With a 4 cylinder in-line BMW K-engine, it accelerates from 0-62 mph in 4.8 sec with a top speed of 150 mph. It gets about 47 - 57 mpg, depending on your speed.

We don’t know which side of the gene pool is responsible for the single gull wing door, but we like it.

The company said they are only going to make about 100 per year, and at about $68,000, you will probably be the only one on your block with this toy.

smidge

Reaction score
www.mightycarmods.com
that thing would be interesting when you stop at the lights

i reckon it would take about 3 times before you ruined it

and back on topic, really interesting thread as some friends of mine who are nearing the kid producing time of their lives have said they're going to sell up while the kid is young

fair enough, i'm not sure i would

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First things first....Congrats!!:cheer::cheer:
Not a father here...obviously, but as a Mom... I got my bike when my youngest was 2. That year didn't see too many Kms but the next couple got better. Then last year, my oldest could babysit the youngest and yeah! I rode everywhere!
Last summer I actually trailered my bike to my folks house, (7hours) and rode back the way I came (10 hours) for a sportbike rally. (spent 22 hours on the bike in 3 days) mmmmmmm:drool:
I think as long as it is everything in moderation, you will be fine...I still spent everyday with my kids as an at home mom, but when I got the chance to go for a rip...you can bet I grabbed it.
Then there is the issue of the significant other....I can see that I was far more tolerant than most wives about my ex going for rides (overnighters)because I would've LOVED to be the one going. But when all the people you ride with are guys....kinda puts a wrench in the plans, I wasn't going to go on the rides and leave the ex at home with the kids while I hung out drinkin and hootin it up with the boys.:rolleyes:
Hopefully everything will work out ok for you...just remember that me time is really important too, for you and your wife. If you can still use the bike to go the loooong way to get milk? do it!

david223

Reaction score
Visit site

I second this one. DON'T give up things you love because you have a kid. I have four at home, so I speak from experience.

Make sure you have your priorities straight, and obviously the kids are your number one priority, no matter what. But sometimes, what's best for your kids is for daddy (or mommy) to escape for awhile into that all precious me time.

The kids will become the most important thing in your life, but they should not BE your life. You have to maintain your own life as an individual, as much as you need to maintain your life as a couple with your wife, as well as your life as mom, dad and the kids. The balance will be drastically skewed to the last one for the first few years, but use every chance you have to give some attention to the other two. The family life will be all the better for it.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Congrats on the upcoming bambino. You'll love it. Now, on to more serious matters...

Oddly enough I didn't have a bike until we had the baby. A friend who works in PR got me a month testing a Piaggio scooter with all the kit and lessons included. All I had to do was pay for gas and keep a journal of my commute.

On the bike my commute is 25-35 minutes. On public transportation it took 1:15 on a good day. :eek:

About a week before I had to give the scooter back my wife actually said, "Why don't you get a real bike?" (I knew I married her for a good reason.) It's been great since then.

I understand that the gains in travel time won't be as good in the US since you can't lane split and filter, but you should still be able to ride every day if you want.

Good luck whatever happens!