PTT question

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a system of two speakers (earphones) and a microphone that installs inside my helmet and then plugs into my iPhone. I have tested it and the thing works great! Of course this was in my living room and not on the bike with wind noise. My question is the PTT button. It signals to the phone that I want to contact SIRI or to turn things off immediately or to hang up a call (I'm not anticipating using this for phone calls but for GPS and changing music)

My question is where to install the PTT? It looks like it can be mounted on a finger but wouldn't that get in the way? Does anyone else use something like this? Thanks!

Matthew

Here is the link for the system I bought
Noise Reduce Close Helmet Motorcycle Headset Mic for Apple iPhone 3G 3GS 4 4S 5 | eBay

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to have a chatterbox that had a 2 way radio. It had PTT (Push To Talk)

It also came with a PTT button with the velcro strap. I never did use it because there was a PTT right on the Chatterbox unit itself and the unit was mounted (left side) on my helmet.
I would imagine you would mount it on the left handle bar area since your right hand is usually busy maintaining throttle. :)

Question. Why do you need the PTT feature?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also...Noise reduction today usually consists of active electronics with digital processing run by software. I've used the chatterbox (The should have called it the Breadbox) for years, and they even came out with a smaller unit but their support service was silent. When you needed help no one was there to respond it was just an email address.

I bought a Sena unit and have never looked back. Ultimately you want a unit where the human voice comes through and where the noise reduction components,circuits and software make your voice more intelligible through helmet wind noise. The Sena units do this really well and I doubt any unit on the market does this better. Listening to music is secondary to me and to tell the truth I don't listen to music while riding with ear plugs through the wind noise. Even with ear plugs and wind noise the Sena pushes the voice communications through the earphone speakers and my wife is always surprised when I tell her I'm on the bike at 70-80 MPH :rockon:

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
The PTT does the same thing as pushing the button on the iPhone. It was only $40 and will help me monitor the phone/GPS/music. I'm not planning on talking on the phone but knowing a call came it helps. The PTT can answer the call or not pressing it can ignore it. Holding it down activates SIRI and I can do anything on the phone including dictation of a text.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion on the handlebar. It just looked like it was supposed to go on a finger but that seemed pretty weird. haha

When I get a really nice helmet someday, I'll upgrade the com system. For now this is it.