Problems re-installing down-pipe after polish.

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I took the exhaust off my bike and polished it to a silvery shine. While trying to reinstall the exhaust on the bike, I couldn't get the rear-most portion of the down-pipe to reconnect up into the rest of the exhaust. There is a wire mesh in the inner perimeter of the exhaust that the down-pipe connects inside of. This wire mesh keeps getting pushed up, preventing me from sliding the back of the down-pipe into the rest of the exhaust. Has anyone had this problem? What is the solution?

P.S. I'm connecting this rear of the down-pipe to the exhaust first, then the four pipes to the engine, and then finally the down-pipe to the frame.

pkoosa

Reaction score
Visit site
try pulling the wire mesh out, it's probably the gasket. Install the wire mesh donut on the pipe prior to connecting it, that way it's on the pipe and not inside where it's not fitted right and taking up space where the pipe needs to be. good luck.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
try pulling the wire mesh out, it's probably the gasket. Install the wire mesh donut on the pipe prior to connecting it, that way it's on the pipe and not inside where it's not fitted right and taking up space where the pipe needs to be. good luck.

What he said ^

I polished mine without taking them off the bike, of course you don't have access to the whole header so, one day I decided to paint them since the ceramic coating is to expensive and the place closest to my home does not give warranties for used pipes.
I did have the same problem with the gasket so I did what n00dle said.
Check the link http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/33141-how-have-nice-looking-headers.html

So far they are still looking good and only few small scratches from road stones are noticeable only if you look close.