Premium Fuels - V Power

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a buddy of mine recently tell me about buying gas at Shell and how it is supposedly cleaner and helps the engine run better. Naturally, I looked it up and Shell claims that it reduces frictional losses and cleans the engine due to additives, and another article explaining that it's practically the same grade as fuel used in race cars. Cool, alright...

As per the manual for our bikes, I use regular grade fuel. Were I to start using V-Power (or other premiums) I'd be paying a whole whack of extra money that I don't really have available to me, and I haven't a clue what I'd really be gaining. Couldn't running some sort of engine cleaner through your bike once in a while accomplish the same thing? What's your take?

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
Shell does put extra detergents in their premium gas. That would be the only benefit to you, since your bike won't gain anything with the higher octane.

You're better off putting in 87 and putting the money you save toward the occasional bottle of Techron.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
In Europe you can get 100 in some places, my fz6 loved that! In the UK I think it's 98, again it's great. Though if I use it in my Speed Triple it runs like a dog. So stick to 95.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Only rarely I run 87, Usually because its the only thing available sometimes when you show up to the pump. Otherwise its always ethanol free premium. Ive never noticed that its run better or worse or gotten better or worse fuel mileage.

My only reason to run premium is that its the only fuel without ethanol. Living in WI I have to store my bike for nearly 6 months of winter; fuel with ethanol DOES NOT store well for that long.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I did similar research(within and outside this forum) when I first got my bike couple of months ago, I found out, we don't need to use.
But on my car, I used to use Lucas fluid, but I might do a research between that and Techron from Chevron, as patrickb37 suggested.

Techron appears to be only a decent FI system cleaner... While the Lucas product appears to do additional functions in the upper cylinder area, perhaps cleaning the faces of intake valves, too.

Read more: Techron or Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant? (fuel additives, brakes, best, MPG) - Automotive -Sports cars, sedans, coupes, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, tickets, dealers, repairs, gasoline, drivers... - City-Data Forum
My research starts with this guy, ChrisFix,
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...DmGjPPXSU9DvGpD7w&sig2=4CwG7RNbNF6g2sPSkDMQdA

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...FCDDIOvvGXpYFjv2g&sig2=vNAkSiwuEAY5avktI5D-bA

Last edited:

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
In Europe you can get 100 in some places, my fz6 loved that! In the UK I think it's 98, again it's great. Though if I use it in my Speed Triple it runs like a dog. So stick to 95.

Europe uses a different rating system (RON) than the US (AKI), so the numbers will be different.