power commander or not?

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my PC yesterday and installed it!:rockon: Total install time took about 30 mins cause I didn't take the tank completely off and the instructions where clear and helpful. After I got everything back together I loaded the "Stock air box and Leo Vince slip-on" map. I chose this map because both Leo and Two Bro's exhaust's got rid of the cat converter.
As soon as I started the bike I noticed right away a smoother idle and then even smoother after warm-up. I also noticed the throttle response was quicker and more crisp and this is all pre-ride checks.
After everything checked out I took her for a spin. As soon as I got started I could tell right away the difference. I didn't get my usual hick-up if you will when going slow and either doing throttle on or off. Also I noticed the injector ticking noise went away almost completely (yes i could hear that). All around the bike felt smooth and solid. Once I got to know my bike again after a short in town ride I took it on the highway and oh wow:D. Instant smiles for me! The acceleration was soo smooth and when I looked down I realized I was already triple digits in 3rd at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle:eek:
Once I got to some good open stretches I opened her up and like a rocket ship I was off. I could feel the torque difference and shear pulling power it had to offer. From cruising to WOT, it was an awesome feeling!
All and all I would definately reccomend a PCIII for your baby. I am very pleased. The only drawback I had is I lost most of my crackling on decel:( and not very many specific maps available. I would recommend getting a dyno/tune done as it help fine tune everything. I will as soon as I get time.
Hope this helps those considering or the skeptics out there! :Sport:

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to throw my .02 in. I have a stock 06 bike and I am very happy with my power commander. I installed it in order to smooth out the throttle and it does exactly that. I found the stock bike very abrupt and jerky in the corners during the transition from off to on throttle. No matter how smooth I was there was always a bit of a slam as the throttle was applied. No more with the PCIII, it has the smoothness that some of my previous carb bike had. More power in the sense that I had to add less throttle to maintain speed in and out of the twisties. They say 07+ bikes are improved but on mine it made it a much more enjoyable riding experience with only a small penalty in cost and mileage.

n3lrk

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just installed a PCIII last night and I am very happy. Bike runs much better, throttle response is improved. I have Leo Vince cans with CAT eliminator.

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i've got my two bros coming to me today... hoping to get it monday. was really hoping to monkey with it this weekend but oh well. i was reading a thread the other day about this and a few people were saying that disconnecting the battery to reset the computer or whatever was a good idea after putting on a new exhaust? it's not a power commander, but it helps.

gbbisi

Reaction score
Visit site
i wouldn't bother with a pc3. I just put the zero map in and set my idle fuel to 7 to smooth out the leo's. Overall i think it runs just as well without one, i hate how the milage really goes down when the pc map is installed. I've been going back and forth with the pc3 and also if the baffles are in the mileage improves quite a bit vs them out. I'm done messing with the pc3

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i wouldn't bother with a pc3. I just put the zero map in and set my idle fuel to 7 to smooth out the leo's. Overall i think it runs just as well without one, i hate how the milage really goes down when the pc map is installed. I've been going back and forth with the pc3 and also if the baffles are in the mileage improves quite a bit vs them out. I'm done messing with the pc3

That's because the maps that DJ provides are way too rich. With a proper tune and a custom map you can have your cake and eat it too.

astorm

Reaction score
Visit site
a newbie here... I have had my FZ6 for just over a season, it is a 2007. It seems to run very lean and hot, spark plugs get kind of ash white... I spoke to a mechanic and he recommended having it tuned so it runs a little richer... It is a completely stock bike at the moment... I am a bit worried about running too lean and frying the engine at sometime... I love this bike and want to keep it around :) Anyway... is a PC the way to go, if I get an aftermarket air box without after market pipes (those may be in my future but not this season)

Thanks for listening to a newbie!!

Alex

summey2967

Reaction score
Visit site
I have just put a twobro's exhaust on mine and I'm noticing some rough idling when I first start the engine. It seems to fade out as the engine warms up.

I took my bike to the local yamaha dealer to have the shop guys there listen to it. Of course, the engine was a little warmed up when they heard it but the roughness was still there. They advised me not to worry about it and if it got worse to bring it buy again and they would have another look at it.

My understanding is that this is not an uncommon thing with installing an aftermarket exhaust. What I would like to know is what exactly is causing it and if it is causing a decrease in performance or if its harmful to the engine. My understanding is that it has to do with back pressure. :confused:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This may be late to post but it was mentioned some time ago. Unplugging your battery terminals WILL reset your bike's computer. The result for me was a smoother throttle response. No commander needed (for me) - bike works fine after the reset.

SirG

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 FZ6. No cat and drilled stock pipes. I did the air box mod and installed a PC3. The PC3 made a HUGE difference and I would recommend it for sure. She drinks more fuel, but I didn't buy my bike to save money on gas cost. I got my bike for fast, fun and free ride.

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
I’m running a combination of a K&N air filter, Two Brothers exhaust, CAT eliminator mid pipe and PCIII with custom Holeshot performance map. There is no comparison to stock. I ride a lot with a bunch of R6’s and my FZ6 keeps up; that’s on top end and handling. Understandably I’ve done the R6 fork conversion and a modified R6 rear shock