Potential FZ6 buyer, experiences?

lennyo3034

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for a sport touring bike that will be more comfortable than my current bike for longer rides, commuting, and going two up. I've always owned smaller lighter bikes so I'd like something that's relatively small and nimble as well.

So far, the FZ6 looks about perfect but I was wondering what you guys thought of it for these purposes. Is it comfortable enough for really long rides (500+ miles a day)? I assume it has enough power for riding with a passenger, I've taken people in 600rrs before and never really revved them up, which is where then difference in power is. How is the gas mileage on it?

Thank you.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum!

Great bike dollar for dollar pound for pound it is one of the greatest bikes ever made. Dubbed the Swiss army knife of bikes the FZ6 was probably more popular in Europe first and then it really caught on here in the states. Like many 600cc class bikes it really starts to wake up at 8k. It's fine 2 up but remember it is a middle weight. Setting the rear shock up a couple of notches always helps. The quality of the bike is great and they are very economical to run and maintain. There are a many aftermarkets catering to anything from touring and baggage to tracking this great bike.:rockon:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike is perfect for me. Most I've done in one day is 1300kms. Didn't miss a beat and was surprisingly comfortable.

I did a 4500km trip a few months ago over 3 weeks (one week was just driving in the car though :(). She was great. She was loaded up with tank bank, tail bag, and 46ltr topbox. Ran like a dream. Members Humperdinkel, Prebstar and Wolfman were also on that trip with me. Wolfman had a pillion and top box and tank bag the whole trip too. Jess only complained when it rained :)

It's a great tourer and you can set the bike up really well. As per my signature, I have quite a few mods. The ones that helped me for touring - rizoma bars (I'm 5'7 and the change from stock bars helped my riding position), going -1 on the front sprocket (faster acceleration) and the Yamaha screen. My bike is a naked so no fairings. You can get up to high speed (oops, I mean highway speeds.... ;)) very quickly. RPM's - she's smooth in lower RPM's but she absolutely LOVES going over 8000 rpms - so do I :D

As for fuel usage, I'm one of those who just fills up when it starts flashing. I NEVER take notice of how many km's I'm getting to a tank :spank: My hubby would know, but I honestly don't care LOL

Good luck. BTW, :welcome: to the forum! Oh, and a 1098 - would love you to post a pic of that one :thumbup:

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine gets around 40-42 MPG, some hard accelerating as well.

I put bar risers on it (but I'm 53 and don't like the leaning forward stuff).

The seat was a little hard for my rear but was altered by Spencers seats for under $100..

Fun bike, very, very dependable..

If doing any LD stuff, I'd probably put a smaller rear sprocket or larger front sprocket to lower the rev's a little at HS...

It'll behave at lower RPM's and take care of business at higher RPM's as well. :)

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I do a 300 mile commute a couple days per week and find it to be very comfortable in stock form. Average 46-51 MPG on the freeway... speeds between 70 and 90. I've never ridden 2-up (wife wants one of us to live), but I would think it would do fine . Good luck

lennyo3034

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Seems the FZ6 is definitely the bike for me. How easy is it to adjust the rear preload? My Honda had preset settings that were easy to go between. The Ducati's is infinitely adjustable but is a PITA to do and takes forever. You mentioned notches which suggest it's easier to adjust.

Since it was requested, here's a pic I had on my phone. Color is actually darker than this but it's in the bright sun.

edf37397.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its easy to adjust the rear shock.

Remove the left side pod (sticks out just under the seat) one allan head bolt, 2 pop on, lower retainers. Once the pod is off, the adjuster is right there.

There should be a spanner in the tool kit to reach in there and adjust it. If it hasn't been adjusted in awhile, it may help to blow out with compressed air the area around the shock, and a little WD 40.

Also, keep the load off the shock and adjust while on the center stand, its a little easier...

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, that Ducati is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I commute to work on my FZ6 once or twice a week (40 miles round trip). It is a short ride and puts a smile my face even dodging the cagers.

I have the FZ1 bars and for me, they made a big difference in comfort. Haven't tracked my mileage because I don't care right now. The bike gets better mpg than my car and is too much fun to drive. Hard to put a price tag on that combination.