Polorized sun glasses : Recommend?

darkbluexplorer

ATGATT - Live by it!
Reaction score
Visit site
So my sunglasses have finally bit the dust after 3 years of wear the ones before that were 5 years old. So I'm on the market again for some sun glasses. Looking for Polorized lenses that are comfortable wearing in helmet and wrap around the face so that they cover the perfierival(sp.?) vision. It's weird being without them I feel blind even on this cloudy day. I don't mind spending money on them but they got to be able to take a beating that's for sure.

From my mobile command unit attached to my hand.

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
Pan Optics work great for me seal around the eye, and great off the bike too. Fishing and such. Polorized glasses also work great when your in rain and they cut through the mist and spray.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
on my bike i prefer a tinted visor over glasses, though it does require planning ahead if you stay out late.

did try a photochromatic pinlock, but it didn't get dark enough and wasn't very good at night time

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:cool: I found some pretty cheap wrap around sunglasses at Wally World (Walmart)

I would suggest not using polarized behind your face shield. You will get all kinds of visual anomaly. Polarized are fine for most every day stuff but not everything. My wife bought polarized sun glasses and she told me her camera display was broken. Her sun glasses cancelled the image. I turned the camera and she could see. :rolleyes: :cool:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I would suggest not using polarized behind your face shield. You will get all kinds of visual anomaly. Polarized are fine for most every day stuff but not everything. My wife bought polarized sun glasses and she told me her camera display was broken. Her sun glasses cancelled the image. I turned the camera and she could see. :rolleyes: :cool:

THIS! I had polarized once for about 5 days before seeing rainbows all around the inside of the face shield got REAL old real fast!

Sunglasses are much easier than dealing with swapping tinted/clear shields if you ride both at night and day.

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a polarized pair on the bike, I don't get rainbows but it does change the colors of some cars. If I have my glasses on though I usually have my face shield up. If you have a digital display on your bike at certain angles I can't see mine.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear polarized sunglasses on the bike, and it sounds like the OP has as well until now, but my thoughts:

The frame/style is really up to you - whatever fits your face, and under your helmet comfortably, is key. Any of the name brands, if purchased from a reputable dealer, and having a sturdy design, should give years of service. Suggest bringing your helmet when trying them on. If it fits comfortably, and you like the look, you're probably good to go.

Mine are prescription, so they're just stupidly $ (be very thankful if you don't wear glasses!!!) but you get the option to customize in terms of lens color/coatings/filters etc. so I've had the opportunity to try a few different options and evaluate them on their own independently of one another.

In terms of polarization: in addition to making funny colors when used under some helmet visors, they often make things that are black (like tar strips) oddly iridescent. As others have mentioned, LCD displays may or may not be visible, depending on their orientation compared to your head.

At the same time, it's said that polarized sunglasses could mask dark oil puddles etc. on the road surface, making them "less safe" for motorcyclists by supposedly cutting the glare that we use to identify them. FWIW.

At the end of the day, I still use polarized sunglasses for riding because I also use them off the bike, and just ignore the psychedelic colors when riding, remaining aware that they could potentially mask oil slicks. Any close-fitting "sport" style "wrap-around" frames probably have the best odds of fitting under the helmet (from whatever you favorite brand is). But everyone's head and helmet are different; all you can do is try them on.

I've only had lousy luck with progressive tinted lenses (the UV filter on my helmet visor [and truck windshield] prevents the progressive tinting from being activated).

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried riding with polarised lenses, but it makes your LCD display look all funky. Then there is the rainbow artifacts as mentioned, and the way they distort what you're looking at. (shadows/reflections off glass etc)

Ended up giving me a headache.

I use and recommend the Shark Evoline Series 3 helmets. Built in retractable sunshield and swing away chin bar.

Definitely the best, most convenient helmet I've ever owned!

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. And the best thing is you can't forget your sunshield or clear visor as it's built in!

Last edited: