Poll: missed shifts to 2nd?

On anything of a regular basis (eg. once a month) do you miss the shift from 1st to second gear and

• No, never. I ALWAYS get a CLEAN shift to 2nd.

Votes: 21 13.9%
  • Rarely, but it has happened that I can remember maybe a handful of times EVER.

Votes: 80 53.0%
  • I notice this from time to time. My shifting technique is ok but it still happens sometimes.

Votes: 50 33.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's not much play in the lever/shaft when shifting down, so preloading it is kind of useless and you might accidently downshift without the clutch(I've done it)

Preloading is advised on upshifts because there's a lot of play in the lever in that position.

There's not much play in the lever/shaft when shifting down, so preloading it is kind of useless and you might accidently downshift without the clutch(I've done it)

Preloading is advised on upshifts because there's a lot of play in the lever in that position.

I have to disagree, preloading up and down makes much smoother clunck free shifts for me.

I have to disagree, preloading up and down makes much smoother clunck free shifts for me.

I guess every bike is different. I've never had clunky downshifts, only upshifts.
My shifts have been all smooth lately. It's all about throttle, clutch, and shifter control.

For me, when it does happen it's usually because change of shoes. Soft, stiff, thin or thick has lot to do with how we are conditioned to shift gears.

I get this allot on hard accelerations. It's always when I'm pulling hard and I kick it from first to...well it's supposed to be second. It's rather aggravating. It doesn't matter if I pre-load, use the clutch, skip the clutch...it just seems to be random. Some times this bike just has a mind of it's own :p

Back