Pod lights as blue light for volunteer

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
So I recently became a volunteer firefighter which allows me to have a blue flashing light. My idea was to utilize the pod lights. What do I have to do in order to first put blue lights in and second have them alternate back and forth (wig-wag). Does anybody else use emergency blue lights on their fz6 and maybe have a different idea?

Last edited:

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
I don't know how to make them wig-wag, but it is easy to make them alternate with your turn signals and running lights. You just hook up the pod lights with one lead to the running light and one lead to the turn signal, that is, you don't hook anything on the pod light to ground. I suspect that if you then turn on your hazard lights, you may get your desired effect.

For whatever it's worth, I've been running blue pod lights for years, strictly for cosmetic reasons since I run the faster blue FZ6:shakehead:. I use the same trick I just discussed, but I have them set so that they simply alternate with my turn signals. I had the lights sent to me from Europe by a member of another forum. However, I vaguely recall others saying that the R6 pods lights work fine. You just need to drill out the mounting hole that's already blanked in the fairing, trying to be careful to minimize the junk that falls into the light cavity. The pod lights just pop in easily.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:Flash:Wig wag wag wag wig wag! LOL!:Flash:

I whipped something up for you!

Thank you for your service to the community! :D

There is one more component I should have added for spike safety to protect the flasher output. I'm on the run right now so if you build this or want it built let me know and I'll add component.

Be careful answering calls!:Flash:

Last edited:

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site

There is one more component I should have added for spike safety to protect the flasher output. I'm on the run right now so if you build this or want it built let me know and I'll add component.

I am very interested in building it. I appreciate the diagram you came up with. it helps alot

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay I've added a diode to the coil of the relay. See post #4 on this thread. :D The anode of the diode to the ground side and cathode (banded end) to the positive side of the relay coil to help protect the solid state output of the electronic flasher relay during coil collapse which can make a nice spike. A 1n4007 diode is more than enough to take care of that.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

lol We be thinking the same!
An electronic blinker relays for the duty cycle and standard relay for Wag (using the active/inactive polls). Simple enough. So why not use an an electronic relay and ditch the diode? Seeings how its only LEDs, it should last forever and it'll be silent! :)

As for the OP's intent:
You're gonna need some high lumen LEDs to be noticed! Well other than your own internal beam shinning with joy! :rolleyes:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
lol We be thinking the same!
An electronic blinker relays for the duty cycle and standard relay for Wag (using the active/inactive polls). Simple enough. So why not use an an electronic relay and ditch the diode? Seeings how its only LEDs, it should last forever and it'll be silent! :)

As for the OP's intent:
You're gonna need some high lumen LEDs to be noticed! Well other than your own internal beam shinning with joy! :rolleyes:

Hahaha! LMAO!

I just don't know of any electronic flasher relay that wigwags off the top O my head. The diode is to help eliminate noise and/or inductive kick that the output of the electronic flasher relay might receive on coil collapse. It will work very well for a nice steady wigwag!
O Let Yo Love Light Shine!
:BLAA:

Last edited:

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
That undercover 8 looks like it would be right up his alley. Small enough to mostly hide but bright enough to get people's attention

Sent from my iPhone

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That undercover 8 looks like it would be right up his alley. Small enough to mostly hide but bright enough to get people's attention

Sent from my iPhone

Those are really great! A good price considering they include the electronics for flash different flash patterns.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay I've added a diode to the coil of the relay. See post #4 on this thread. :D The anode of the diode to the ground side and cathode (banded end) to the positive side of the relay coil to help protect the solid state output of the electronic flasher relay during coil collapse which can make a nice spike. A 1n4007 diode is more than enough to take care of that.

i wish i understood half that sentence lmao

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

LOL! Don't worry bout it. I'll PM a number to you. If you decide to mock one up just call me. Look at some of the other options that have been posted because they're pretty cool! :D

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Think of throwing a rock in a small pool of water; the ripples propagate. So to prevent the ripples you layer the water with a foam pad to stop the initial shock. In electronics, when of "electrons flow" and suddenly stop, they make an electronic shock, an in-rush of energy. This energy can damage things because in this case, its high voltage above the 12v operating system. The Diode proposed in this circuit directs that hi energy to ground so its harmless and never seen by the devices on the 12v bus AS IF, the rock was never thrown. . . .

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hahaha! LMAO!

I just don't know of any electronic flasher relay that wigwags off the top O my head. The diode is to help eliminate noise and/or inductive kick that the output of the electronic flasher relay might on coil collapse. It will work very well for a nice steady wigwag!
O Let Yo Love Light Shine!
:BLAA:

Still need two relays, the second being full silicon and not electromechanical.
:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Still need two relays, the second being full silicon and not electromechanical.
:thumbup:

You can use one electronic flasher relay (same as we use for LED directionals) and one electromechanical relay.

We're only looking for wigwag. They'll be blue lights and not active (off) during non emergency.

Looking at the diagram. When the wigwag switch is turned on current flows to the electronic flasher and the common pole on the mechanical relay which power the right pod light.

The flasher powers the relay coil and it opens the normally closed contact to the right pod light and applies current to the left pod light where it goes through time cycle #1.
After time cycle #1 completes, current to the relay coil is stopped and the relay falls back to the normally closed position and powers the right pod light for the period of time cycle #2

This repeats over and over again as long as the wig wag switch is turned on. :D

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can use one electronic flasher relay (same as we use for LED directionals) and one electromechanical relay.

We're only looking for wigwag. They'll be blue lights and not active (off) during non emergency.

Looking at the diagram. When the wigwag switch is turned on current flows to the electronic flasher and the common pole on the mechanical relay which power the right pod light.

The flasher powers the relay coil and it opens the normally closed contact to the right pod light and applies current to the left pod light where it goes through time cycle #1.
After time cycle #1 completes, current to the relay coil is stopped and the relay falls back to the normally closed position and powers the right pod light for the period of time cycle #2

This repeats over and over again as long as the wig wag switch is turned on. :D

I got how it works, I was just saying use an solid state relay (after the blinker relay AND for the WigWag) so people don't have to go to radio shack to get a diode. :eek:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got how it works, I was just saying use an solid state relay (after the blinker relay AND for the WigWag) so people don't have to go to radio shack to get a diode. :eek:

I misunderstood. :tard: I thought you were talking about adding 2 relays after the electronic flasher relay. :rolleyes:
Also:Source a cheap solid state SPDT with 12VDC control, 12VDC nominal switching, no lag on time , for me. Bet the mech. relay and diode are cheaper... You can by an Omron with the diode already in the relay cheap.

Last edited: