Photography Thread !!!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Purchased a new lens the other day. Canon 50mm f1.4. Should be arriving soon and am excited to try it out! Supposed to snow tomorrow also, so I'm hoping to get some snowfall pics. Might be a bit hard when I work all day :(

F1.4 - you can shoot in the dark! :thumbup: Well almost. . . Its going to help allot!

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Really loving the 50mm 1.4!! Just been playing around with it the past day or so.

IMG_2317.JPG

Some hot chocolate after playing outside in the cold
IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

And the gf doing some baking
IMG_2328.JPG

Helping hands
IMG_2335.JPG

D

Dave.TX

Went on a ride from Austin to Fredericksburg on Friday, Dec 7th. They had an observance of Pearl Harbor Day at the National Museum of the Pacific War. I didn't take many but these turned out the best. There were 4 survivors present.

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
Went on a ride from Austin to Fredericksburg on Friday, Dec 7th. They had an observance of Pearl Harbor Day at the National Museum of the Pacific War. I didn't take many but these turned out the best. There were 4 survivors present.

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

That last one conveys such sense of emotion. True Patriotism. 'Merica.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
Follow this link and SEARCH for this: 1234567 by JacQuiles << What kind of filter did that to a photo??
Flickriver: Most interesting photos from Yamaha FZ6 Motorcyles pool << The MOST FZ6 PICTURES IN ONE PLACE on the planet is at this location! I'm sure they stole it all from US!!!

1234567 by JacQuiles this filter made made them look tiny!
View attachment 45951

Thats actually just photoshopped. It's trying to imitate a "tilt-shift" lens. Google "tilt shift photography" and you'll be amazed! you can get the same affect in photoshop, just over-saturate the items you want to look tiny and put a gaussian blur around the rest of the image! On my camera theres an option that does all that in camera and mimics the lens.
As fun as that stuff looks, i havent been able to justify $1500+ for lens thats dedicated to nothing but making stuff look like toys!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats actually just photoshopped. It's trying to imitate a "tilt-shift" lens. Google "tilt shift photography" and you'll be amazed! you can get the same affect in photoshop, just over-saturate the items you want to look tiny and put a gaussian blur around the rest of the image! On my camera theres an option that does all that in camera and mimics the lens.
As fun as that stuff looks, i havent been able to justify $1500+ for lens thats dedicated to nothing but making stuff look like toys!

I think it's also called miniature effect. My *cheap* camera has that setting. :D Haven't tried it yet.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Ya, i could have worded that better; never considered doing it with a lens alone. Figured it was software/out of camera processing. I guess I'd just never seen it done. Not that I'm impressed or want the option - just curious. Thanks!

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya, i could have worded that better; never considered doing it with a lens alone. Figured it was software/out of camera processing. I guess I'd just never seen it done. Not that I'm impressed or want the option - just curious. Thanks!

No problem! With all due respect, its not a good example haha. If you see a photo taken with an actual lens they actually look really impressive!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
As I seem to be incapable of getting it, anyone have any humming bird pictures? Wings stopped in motion - or well anything w/a hummer. . . (NOT h1, h2, h3 lol). . .

Hey Randy. Here you go. I shot these last weekend. I had to get real close as I don't have a proper telephoto/zoom lens.

In shots 5-6 you can see their tongues. These are just 2 different humming birds despite all the apparent changes in their color. 1 male, 1 female.

DSC_0748_01.jpg

DSC_1350_01.jpg

DSC_1352_01.jpg

DSC_1356_01.jpg

DSC_1392_01.jpg

DSC_1486_01.jpg

DSC_1586_01.jpg

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Chris!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Now thats IT! Humming birdies for the WIN!!! Keep them coming!!! FWIW: in our parts these little critters stay here year round!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Chris!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Now thats IT! Humming birdies for the WIN!!! Keep them coming!!! FWIW: in our parts these little critters stay here year round!

Yes, these guys stay year round. Just have to keep changing the sugar water regularly and don't let it get frozen.

Why are you after humming bird pics?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mainly because I find them fascinating little helicopters with personality!! Well and I have them at my feeder and fail to stop the wing action in motion. My conclusion is I can't walk on air so all shots end up shooting into the sun and the flash required to overcome that is not going to happen. Feeder is on the deck and I need to be shooting from the other direction not into the sun. I have few but mostly stills.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mainly because I find them fascinating little helicopters with personality!! Well and I have them at my feeder and fail to stop the wing action in motion. My conclusion is I can't walk on air so all shots end up shooting into the sun and the flash required to overcome that is not going to happen. Feeder is on the deck and I need to be shooting from the other direction not into the sun. I have few but mostly stills.

I have the same problem with light and speed where my feeder is. I make my own juice by mixing water and that raw sugar you can by everywhere these days.

I boil it a little so it stays fresher for them and I don't fill it too much so I have to refill with fresh food every 3 days. I make sure their feeder is squeaky clean.
Never feed them honey! It makes a mold on their beak that eats it away and then they starve to death.

I was mountain biking one day and saw a humming bird making big vertical oval flight patterns. It would hover at the top of the oval and then dive close to the ground and ascend again completing a perfect oval. I investigated and found a diamond back rattler.

A few weeks ago I was changing out the feeder and one comes up to me 3 feet away and hovering in one spot, did 3 perfect pirouettes like a ballerina and then flew off. Just awesome flyers! They're shy but not really afraid of us slower beasts LOL!

Here's a shot from my point n shoot Canon SX-100. I was 25 feet away and it's hard to get the right colors and light when you're on the fly shooting with these cameras. My wife, Lisa is the person who I need to get a real camera for. She has an amazing eye and heart for photography.

Also some of the humming birds are migratory and at certain times of the year we get a lot of customers and I have to keep my feeder topped off.

In this photo is my old feeder. I have a better one now with a perch... :)

hummer%2520008.jpg

Last edited: