Photography Thread !!!

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
The only camera I have is on my mobile phone. I might see what Santa brings. Any advice on a starters camera will be greatly appreciated...
Neil

I think that the most difficult question is whether you need DSLR or a "point-and-shoot" camera. Most people, who want to take good pictures, think that the only thing they have to do is to buy DSLR and lens (the longer the better). Unfortunately, it is not enough. DSLR reveals its advantages only if you use it in a manual mode. Moreover, you have to know when and how you should use this mode. It is not as easy as it looks. Many guys buy DSLR, try to take pictures in a manual mode, understand how difficult it is and switch their expensive cameras to an automatic mode. The problem is that DSLR takes the same pictures in automatic mode as a usual shoot camera does. However, at the same time it costs significantly less. At this moment you will think: "Why did I waste so much money?"

If you do want DSLR then I would say that they are all the same for an amateur. It is a matter of your budget and private preferences. For instance, I hate Canon. It is a very good camera, I had two))). Unfortunately, this company has no possibilty to give me an appropriate level of support in my country. I was obliged to use a film camera several years ago on my vacation, because they could not fix some issues in my camera during 4 months. Now, I have Nikon D90 and I am completely satisfied.

Last edited:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
The gf's parent's dog
IMG_2062.JPG

Saw an albino squirrel at the park!
IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2101.JPG

Some more wildlife..
IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

All the excitement equals one tired little boy
IMG_2132.JPG

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple from the Pet Adoption Fair in San Francisco last weekend...

Hot Dog
Hot-Dog-LR_web.jpg

Bumble Bulldog
Bumble-Bulldog-LR_web.jpg

Bay Bridge Curve
Bay-Bridge-Curve-LR_web.jpg

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice weather and great pics for November in Oregon. :thumbup:
I'll be spending Thanksgiving weekend just outside of Roseburg and I hope the weather holds up until then....

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
FinalImpact,
Great landscapes!!! Very cool pics! You really do a great job.

I am not a professional photographer, but I know some tricks concerning how to shoot great landscapes. I would like to give you advice, if you don't mind. I am very sure that those landscapes above would have been much better if you used the rule of "the thirds".

Look at the sky line on your pics. This line is right in the middle. Next time, try to do the following. Mentally split up the picture into the three parts and place the sky line on the upper part or on the upper and middle part. Take a look at the pic below.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FinalImpact,
Great landscapes!!! Very cool pics! You really do a great job.

I am not a professional photographer, but I know some tricks concerning how to shoot great landscapes. I would like to give you advice, if you don't mind. I am very sure that those landscapes above would have been much better if you used the rule of "the thirds".

Look at the sky line on your pics. This line is right in the middle. Next time, try to do the following. Mentally split up the picture into the three parts and place the sky line on the upper part or on the upper and middle part. Take a look at the pic below.

Thanks and Oh ya, I can always use pointers! The issue here is trying to change my vantage point as too high it was black skies and/or the sun is in the lens (once intentional). So composition was based upon best lighting vs the least amount of glare as the filters I had couldn't handle umpteen million candella! What's funny is a storm was blowing in and 20min from the first shot - it was down pouring! Mind you i've had that camera for 4 years and this the first time its been exposed to sand/ocean air. . . :( I take my old Canon for those! :eek:

Last edited:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I started dabbling in film again, and bought a Nikon F4 and then traded it in for an F5, then bought a Mamiya RZ67.

A couple of recent ones on Velvia 50...

38980013p.jpg

38980036p.jpg

And Ektar 100 from the Mamiya

38530008p.jpg

And Portra 160

37650016p.jpg

37650018p.jpg

Last edited:
D

Dave.TX

I have not been to Jefferson yet. Looks like a cool building, guessing it's the county courthouse?

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Went out to the local drifts on Friday night just for something different...... Im not a drifting fan but it makes for some good photos & is really tricky at night :thumbup:

IMG_6735_wm.jpg

IMG_6648_wm.jpg

IMG_6679_wm.jpg

IMG_6613_wm.jpg