PC3 necessary or not?

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
06 FZ6, scorpion slip on, K&N filter.

Initially I had the scorpion installed by themselves and it ran fine, some surging at idle but other than that no problems. Still getting 43 mpg in town. I installed the K&N today and it now idles much smoother without the surging. I'm really not sure how much the K&N helps as the factory Yamaha filter does not appear to be very restrictive. I'm going to ride it to see how mileage does after it but do you think I need to get a PC3 or should it be fine how it is now. I really haven't found that many positives on the unit on this bike.

Bill3508

Last edited:
I'd replace your plugs, then ride a couple hundred miles and check them. That may tell you if you're running lean. There's plenty of guides to reading your plugs online.

You probably don't need a PCIII, but if you're running too lean you'd probably be better off with it.

Has anyone checked the o2 readings to see how rich or lean these bikes run with intake and exhaust mods? What is optimum? All I can find via the PC3 is it makes the bike run super rich which is not good either.

Also, I can understand the bike running leaner after exhaust, but wouldn't increasing intake air flow richen it up instead of leaning it out. Bike senses more air coming in and dumps extra fuel needed, same as FI cars.

Bill3508

Last edited:
I've got Scorpions, K&N filter and a PCIII installed. The K&N filter does make a difference, regardless of what naysayers may think.
I don't think the PCIII makes the bike run super rich, but it does run somewhat richer, especially at startup. The "canned" MAP setting for Scorpions and a K&N filter richen up the mixture pretty much throughout the rev range and at every throttle opening, but not at idle.
I found that my fuel consumption initially dropped from about 43mpg to around 35mpg. After a couple of weeks, it went back up to 42mpg, which is now consistent with every fillup. I put it down to initially riding around everywhere in 2nd gear just to hear the Scorp's. :D
I will get a custom MAP installed at a certified Dynojet dealer sometime in the future when I have $350 US to spare.
Oh...edited to add: To answer your question, no....a PCIII is not necessary, but it does help particularly with a bit more power at lower rpm's.

Thanks for the reply. I will probably end up with the PCIII and try to get someone to dyno tune it for me. For now it seems to be running fine May try to find someone who can check the o2 levels and see where I'm at before I do the PC3 though.

IMOP to get the PC111 will just benefit either way. The 07 has a newer A/F ratio so the stock computer will compensate, but if the bike ever goes crazy with the A/F it's there as a back up and you can get it Dyno'd and have a custom map made.

PCIIIs are nice. That said our bike is fat, not lean, from the factory. If you have an exhaust and K&N you are probably about right on your mixture. Also the major part of where you ride is closed loop anyway and you can't tune it.

Bottomline up front. The DynoJet O2 sensor does not go deep enough into a MC muffler and will give a false reading, fat. A Factory Pro dyno with a 4 GAS EGA will give an accurate reading and a better tune. The DJ maps are way too fat and they don't have a single map for the '07+ bikes. To make a PC work well you need it tuned.

Here's my tune from my FZ. The bottom graph is the emissions pre and post tuning. The higher the line the higher the emissions, the higher the emission the more unburned fuel. If you've even ridden behind a rich bike you can smell the unburned gas. If it doesn't burn, actually help the oxygen burn, why add it?

View attachment 12951

When I installed the K&N filter in my bike it made a big difference, I could feel it running a little lean, it would lug and not be as smooth, and it would get a lot hotter.
I installed a new PCIII map and it ran even better than before.

I've ran the zero map(like having no PCIII installed) on my bike and it ran like absolute crap.
But with the current map(crazymofo's custom dynotune for TB/K&N/no cat), there's all sorts of power I've never seen before.

So yes, in my opinion a power commander is worth it, but only if you get a proper map or dynotune.

I noticed on the Dynojet map site for our bikes that even the scorpion file just list using the exhaust and/or the stock or aftermarket filter. So they basically did nothing to tune for the aftermarket filter other than make it real rich to cover both. Or can you somehow select if you have an aftermarket or not?

I've also seen post stating the bike is lean from the factory, but that would be going against the practice of having a safety net for variable conditions. Hellgate, do you have any AFR numbers before you tuned for the PC3?

Thanks for all the help also.

Bill3508

Last edited:
I noticed on the Dynojet map site for our bikes that even the scorpion file just list using the exhaust and/or the stock or aftermarket filter. So they basically did nothing to tune for the aftermarket filter other than make it real rich to cover both. Or can you somehow select if you have an aftermarket or not?

I've also seen post stating the bike is lean from the factory, but that would be going against the practice of having a safety net for variable conditions. Hellgate, do you have any AFR numbers before you tuned for the PC3?

Thanks for all the help also.

Bill3508

I'm installing the factory DB killers into my Scorpions, so I'm considering installing the MAP for the "European" model with Scorpions and aftermarket filter. It is a leaner MAP.
What I will do first is see how the bike runs with the DB killers installed first. If there's no issues, I'll just leave the original MAP as is and wait until I have the bucks and the opportunity to have it custom-tuned.

Back