Parking on Sidewalks in NYC

Rooster

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,
Starting this thread to hear about peoples stories, beliefs, thoughts, study, legal advice, etc. on the subject. I mostly am referring to parking on sidewalks with vin and registration discretely covered and license plate removed. I have been doing this for over a year now with no trouble, except for one time when I forgot my plate for 20 mins and found a ticket upon return to remove plate. :(

I'm mainly starting this thread because there has been talk about city crack down on scooters, where they ticket and tow now.

I do lock my bike not for fear of tow but fear of theft.

i look forward to hearing everyones opinions and experiances.

:rockon:

FazerNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
These days, if I'm parked on the sidewalk it's because I'm with the bike, or it's close enough where I can see it, and jump on it before that ticket can be written. I don't know the rules or laws but you will see a traffic enforcement officer (formerly known as metermaids) write that ticket much quicker than a police officer. You don't see much towing of bikes for when a ticket can be written because it takes a flatbed, but I would'nt rule that out. I've heard of ppl removing the plate and covering the VIN but I'm not a fan of that. Keep in mind that in the past few years, the climate of NYC LEOs toward motorcycles has been chilly. I can't really understand why now. Keep that in mind when you're removing your plate.

bgod

Reaction score
Visit site
I park my wife's scooter on the sidewalk most of the time with the plate removed. It's small and easy to maneuver.

However, I would never park my bike on the sidewalk. Her small scooter is already cutting it close, but the bike is just too big to handle on a city sidewalk especially in Manhattan.

I highly doubt they will tow a scooter or bike on the sidewalk. I can see them putting some sort of wheel boot on them to make sure you pay up.

Cities like New York (especially Manhattan) should take a page from the Europeans and make some designated parking spaces for scooters/bikes.