Paris Motorcycle Protest

stealthyman

Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle protest in Paris France on Saturday June 18th. Must have been a thousand bikes or more, streaming through the red lights, blocking traffic, and making lots of noise. They were protesting the planned removal of road signs in France that warn motorists of upcoming speed cameras.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSmlGRt4uQ4]YouTube - ‪Paris Motorcycle Protest‬‏[/ame]

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't go to it, but wish I had! There's all sorts of stupid law changes being proposed. They tried to make lane splitting illegal last time and the same protests happened - it worked and they cancelled that idea.

This time around it was for removal of radar warning signs, but also against plans of making it compulsory to wear high viz/fluorescent jackets on a bike.

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
Although most folks here complain about how the French are always on strike. I love it how you guys get organised and protest against stupid rules and regulations :thumbup: Wish people here were a involved like that.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." -Ronald Reagan, U.S. President

Shown with governments trying to make us wear hi vis vests and crap like that...If thats the case we should demand a law be made that you have to wear a clown suit if your in congress/parliament etc... i'd protest too if i lived in france.

Here in the U.S. They proposed making dodgeball, kickball, and other sports of that nature ILLEGAL in schools....that quickly got shut down.... Funny how our tax money goes to idiots who obviously have nothing to do but sit around and try and make up laws to protect us from ourselves....:Flip:

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
Shown with governments trying to make us wear hi vis vests and crap like that...If thats the case we should demand a law be made that you have to wear a clown suit if your in congress/parliament etc... i'd protest too if i lived in france.

:rof: :rof: :rof:

Like everyone who is doing some physical labour seems to wear a fluorescent vest these days :-/

images

Last edited:

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
...... but also against plans of making it compulsory to wear high viz/fluorescent jackets on a bike.

annoying as that may be, the French public already have shown support for their government to pass laws overriding a individual's personal choice of appearance/attire... so a public outcry over this would be tad typocritical IMHO...

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
streaming through the red lights, blocking traffic, and making lots of noise. They were protesting the planned removal of road signs in France that warn motorists of upcoming speed cameras.

YouTube - ‪Paris Motorcycle Protest‬‏

let me see if I got it straight,

They where breaking the law, disrespecting and anoying every one else just so they can keep the warning signs that prevents them from get ticketed when breaking the law by going over the speed limit?

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site

They where breaking the law, disrespecting and anoying every one else just so they can keep the warning signs that prevents them from get ticketed when breaking the law by going over the speed limit?

...which prevents them and others from being startled by hidden radars which cause people to hit the brakes etc, causing dangerous situations. These speed cameras are just a way to generate extra tax money, they are not there for safety as is commonly claimed :Flip:

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As I read here (on a Dutch site) they are protesting about several things, presently being discussed in the French parliament, some of which are being aimed directly at the motorbike riders:

1: Having to wear a fluorescent vest on a motorbike.
2: Larger number plate.
3. Forbiding filtering (which is presently legal in France).
4. removing Permanent speed camera warning signs.
5. Forbiding any form of radar detector, including GPS warnings (fine €1500).
6. Making motorcycle training mandatory for riders who have not riden for 5 years or more (This is on top of the already mandatory european riding test).
7. Prison sentence if you speed over 50Km/h above the speed limit.

I think this puts things in a different light.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
annoying as that may be, the French public already have shown support for their government to pass laws overriding a individual's personal choice of appearance/attire... so a public outcry over this would be tad typocritical IMHO...

True indeed to some extent. The country is very divided politically and I don't think it's fair to say that all the French support the decisions of the government at all. Sarkozy is deeply unpopular anyway, but in general the French hate the government trying to control civil liberties (a little like it is in the US I think).

Things like CCTV and speed cameras are really controversial, so the government trying to tell you what you can/can't wear isn't popular at all. I think if there was a referendum on banning people covering their faces in public places (a thinly disguised ban on islamic women wearing the burka) it would be voted against.

It's a tough one though as I don't believe speed cameras save lives at all. But almost 3 times a week on my way to or from work in Paris I see motorbikes and scooters involved in accidents (some very nasty). Maybe a high viz vest would help reduce the horrible numbers of deaths and injuries?

I hate the government controlling everything, but something needs to be done to keep people safer. It seems they always go about it the wrong way!

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
1: Having to wear a fluorescent vest on a motorbike.
2: Larger number plate.
3. Forbiding filtering (which is presently legal in France).
4. removing Permanent speed camera warning signs.
5. Forbiding any form of radar detector, including GPS warnings (fine €1500).
6. Making motorcycle training mandatory for riders who have not riden for 5 years or more (This is on top of the already mandatory european riding test).
7. Prison sentence if you speed over 50Km/h above the speed limit.

I think this puts things in a different light.

You're right Martin. Larger number plates save lives! (Along with loud pipes of course :BLAA: )

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well it was the French Revolution which spurred on smaller revolutions like the American one...

:)

goanookie

Reaction score
Gent - Belgium, Paris - France, Oslo - Norway, Gro
Visit site

Where did you get this information on the European riding test?

Although I do find the idea of mandatory training not bad but I'm wondering what else there is on the EU riding test, wouldn't the first time they screw things up.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Where did you get this information on the European riding test?

Although I do find the idea of mandatory training not bad but I'm wondering what else there is on the EU riding test, wouldn't the first time they screw things up.

Sorry I may have got that bit wrong :eek:, I meant in France they also have to take a bike test, in comparison to some other countries (for example some of the states in America) where no formal training is required.

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site

absolutely.... the post after yours explains why.

i've seen people rubberneck and cause very dangerous situations for other motorists (motorcyclists) because of speed traps and radar work.

radar is a tax, when it's a camera. radar is a safety TOOL when it slows down people doing 82 in a 55.

please, let those frenchies continue to show us up (USofA) when it comes to assembling and protesting. we, (USofA) don't protest a goddamned thing anymore. ever. we need a reality check.