Pants

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What's a good brand or type of riding pant to get for everyday use. I just wear jeans and was wondering if they are ok or should i be looking into something with padding or protection? Like I said, I wear either Lee's, Levies or other denim pants.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Jeans will offer no protection if you slide on them. They'll shred like paper, I've heard. There are riding-specific jeans, or textile pants, or leather. I don't have much great insight, other than that jeans are no good whatsoever.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Draggin jeans are cool. Just bought a pair of leather riding pants. Had some chaps for the colder weather, but felt that it looked better if riding a cruiser style bike. The leather really cuts the cold wind off the legs. I got the riding pants for half off at Honda House in Richmond (78 bucks). I would imagine many stores throughout the country are having sales and large clearance areas because of the economy right now.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of leathers and they have padding on the thigh, butt, knees (not knee pucks) and was looking for a pair for everyday use. I live in Florida and wearing leather all the time give me SWAMP A$$. How are TEXTILE pants, what do the have and what are they like?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Draggin jeans are cool. Just bought a pair of leather riding pants. Had some chaps for the colder weather, but felt that it looked better if riding a cruiser style bike. The leather really cuts the cold wind off the legs. I got the riding pants for half off at Honda House in Richmond (78 bucks). I would imagine many stores throughout the country are having sales and large clearance areas because of the economy right now.

Draggin Jeans are fantastic...kevlar lined in the right places, and for casual riding, when you actually want to look human upon arrival, they cant be beaten IMHO, but Leather, with built in armour is a must for Sports riding IMHO.

Get both i say, if budget permits.

:thumbup:

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
If you fall, the ground isn't going to ask you "Were you riding in a sporty fashion? Were you just running out to the store for milk?" before it decides how much damage to inflict. I wear the best gear I have every time I ride, so I won't ever wish I had it on when the worst happens.

I wear armored track-weight leather unless it's raining hard, and if it's raining hard, I have armored waterproof gear in 1680 denier Cordura. If I get hit by a car, I'm going to be sliding along the ground with the weight of my FZ atop me, and I don't trust any kind of jeans to hold up to that for long.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you fall, the ground isn't going to ask you "Were you riding in a sporty fashion? Were you just running out to the store for milk?" before it decides how much damage to inflict. I wear the best gear I have every time I ride, so I won't ever wish I had it on when the worst happens.

I wear armored track-weight leather unless it's raining hard, and if it's raining hard, I have armored waterproof gear in 1680 denier Cordura. If I get hit by a car, I'm going to be sliding along the ground with the weight of my FZ atop me, and I don't trust any kind of jeans to hold up to that for long.

Kevlar lined jeans aint bad....Ozzieboy recently had a rather nasty little off in Draggin's, and both him, and the jeans were unharmed...was quite surprised myself, after seeing his bike...not the prettiest.

But Leather, or Nylon with Armour are definitely the BEST option...

:thumbup:

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Nah......its all about the fashion:justkidding:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I highly recommend pants when ridding a motorcycle. The police could stop you and you'd be hanging out! :eek:

Ummm...not sure what the women would refer to it as...

I wear at least jeans around town, my Buell Adventure textiles most of the time, or my leathers. I've got rocks tattooed in my ass and lower back from years of racing bicycles and I don't want any more.

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I know it's bad but I wear jeans.
I didn't even slide in my wreck and my jeans still tore in a couple places. If I was going faster and had slid, they would've been mostly useless. But still better than shorts?
I need to buy myself a nice pair of riding pants, but its hard to find some that fit.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
For my work and school commutes I wear jeans, but with the knowledge that I'm putting my skin at risk. Luckily I'm close to both work and school and can use side roads entirely.

For my long rides, group rides, or going just about anyplace else I wear my Olympia Airflow2 overpants. I absolutely love these pants and have had 0 regrets on spending the money for them. Although they're not as good as leather, I'm very pleased with the construction of them. In hot weather I take the rain/insulated liner out and wear shorts; the airflow is great and sometimes I feel like I'm only wearing shorts. On moderate days I wear jeans underneath, and for cold/rain days I put the liner in and use them as riding pants rather than overpants.

I was lucky to find them at a BMW motorcycle shop on sale and in my size so that I could try them on. They fit true to waist size for me, but I did go up one size to wear jeans under them. They also have belt loops to use a belt specifically for the overpants, so I wasn't worried about going up in size.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/mensairglidepant/menairglidepant.htm

spidersden

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a very hard time finding decent riding pants as I have a 36 inch inseam. After much searching though, I found these: Olympia Airglide Pants. The length on them is very close to 36 inches, if not a tad over that. Most people will need to have them hemmed up a little to get that nice "custom" fit. I've had them for a few months now and have used them on every ride since their arrival. They've kept me nice and warm down into 19 degree (F) weather, and have been quite comfortable on our warmer days recently as well (low 70's). Without the liner, air flow through them was very impressive, I could hardly tell I was wearing them. With the liner, very warm, and does a great job keeping me dry in the rain. I haven't used them in *heavy* rain, but they did very well and I imagine they'll be fine if you're not out in a torrential downpour. They're built well, and the flexible armor in the knees is awesome. Considerably more comfortable than the cheap over pants I had before with non-flexible armor.

As you might guess, I'm pretty happy with these pants. :D (And no, I don't work for them.)

I'm pretty sure that tourmaster makes a similar set of overpants if you have a shorter inseam, so you might be able to find a slightly cheaper option with them.

Be safe!
~Scott