Palomar mountain... Gravity game

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks fun :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1n9FfZJAWM]Buell vs Buell/ Gravity Games - YouTube[/ame]

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool video David. It really takes the right wrist out of play and shows the importance of good, clean lines and judicious use of brakes. Looks like a lot of fun. :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! Who's that playing in my back yard!?!:BLAA:

Fun riding! :rockon:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What about the power steering :eek:.......... :justkidding: :D

Looks like fun & would be a pretty good learning curve :thumbup:

Best thing is , a bloke my size would flog everybody :BLAA:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Best thing is , a bloke my size would flog everybody :BLAA:

If you drop a penny and a hammer from the same height, will the hammer hit the floor sooner? I don't think so, so I don't think your weight would help you go down the hill faster either. Aerodynamics and skill are probably the main factors.

I am down for a fun contest... it's definitely a display that HP, torque, and displacement figures are overrated (unless you're looking to go fast in a straight line... or trying to go UP the mountain I guess :D).

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you drop a penny and a hammer from the same height, will the hammer hit the floor sooner? I don't think so, so I don't think your weight would help you go down the hill faster either. Aerodynamics and skill are probably the main factors.

I am down for a fun contest... it's definitely a display that HP, torque, and displacement figures are overrated (unless you're looking to go fast in a straight line... or trying to go UP the mountain I guess :D).

No he meant he would win because he would go rolling directly over the side of the mountain and beat everyone to the bottom!!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That was so fun to watch! I remember reading one of Keith Code's articles where he talked about learning so much by doing just that.. racing downhill with engines off.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That was so fun to watch! I remember reading one of Keith Code's articles where he talked about learning so much by doing just that.. racing downhill with engines off.

I'd be interested in reading that if you know where I can find it.

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site

If all other factors were equal - particularly aerodynamics - the person with the most mass wins. The penny and hammer analogy has to due with gravitational acceleration, not with velocity potential. So the person with the highest mass also has the highest potential velocity as well - all other factors remaining the same.

That being said - i would lose everytime! cars in corners make me nervous!! :(

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmmmm so your saying my msf teacher is a liar!!!! ahhahah he says ALWAYS accelerate out of turns :).

That looks insane, i have never ridden on that mountain but i can see why so many people die on it taking those turns.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You know your going to try it now dont you Cliff ;)

It's an hour away Dan! The weekend are full of fast movers on this road.

We did a forum ride in Sept. of 09 PowellB was in front of me as we climbed South Grade on Pally. A bike came out of a turn and crossed right in front of Powell! You can see it in this video. If you watch carefully you can almost see the bike cross over and take the shoulder on our right.
Powell had a rear facing camera that was running so we both caught it on our GoPros :eek:
An awesomely fun road to ride and one of the most popular rides in the country. :rockon:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCrO47N1Xpw"]Powell near miss - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
If all other factors were equal - particularly aerodynamics - the person with the most mass wins. The penny and hammer analogy has to due with gravitational acceleration, not with velocity potential. So the person with the highest mass also has the highest potential velocity as well - all other factors remaining the same.

So a rolling mass that's say 3 tons is going to be rolling at a higher speed (3 times?) down a slope compared to a 1 ton rolling mass?

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
It's an hour away Dan! The weekend are full of fast movers on this road.

We did a forum ride in Sept. of 09 PowellB was in front of me as we climbed South Grade on Pally. A bike came out of a turn and crossed right in front of Powell! You can see it in this video. If you watch carefully you can almost see the bike cross over and take the shoulder on our right.
Powell had a rear facing camera that was running so we both caught it on our GoPros :eek:
An awesomely fun road to ride and one of the most popular rides in the country. :rockon:

Powell near miss - YouTube

Here is another guy on palomar :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89pxKMZV1wU]nccoder ripping through Palomar 2/13/10 - YouTube[/ame]

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hmmmmm so your saying my msf teacher is a liar!!!! ahhahah he says ALWAYS accelerate out of turns :).

That looks insane, i have never ridden on that mountain but i can see why so many people die on it taking those turns.

If you're going downhill you get some acceleration...:D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

So a rolling mass that's say 3 tons is going to be rolling at a higher speed (3 times?) down a slope compared to a 1 ton rolling mass?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XJcZ-KoL9o]Feather and Ball Bearing Dropped in Vacuum - YouTube[/ame]