'Paired' Tires

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Why should sets of tires match? Surely this is a 'story' propagated by tire manufacturers to get us to buy more of their tires, (Sort of like tobacco companies telling everyone smoking was OK)

I just can't imagine that an un-matched pair could be that bad. I don't know anyone that runs matching pairs on a dirt bike. We always find the best front/rear combination for the terrain that gives the best grip/feel and go with that.

So go on - convince me.

Think wet road conditions. For example you have a Pirelli Strada on the back, their centre is flat, no threads. The Pirelli front is designed to clear most of the water on the road surface so the rear has a more "clear" path. If you have a Bridgstone front, it may clear less water because the BT rear will be able to clear its own path.

Tires are designed to work in various conditions as a pair. If you mix them, they may or may not work well together :D

Think wet road conditions. For example you have a Pirelli Strada on the back, their centre is flat, no threads. The Pirelli front is designed to clear most of the water on the road surface so the rear has a more "clear" path. If you have a Bridgstone front, it may clear less water because the BT rear will be able to clear its own path.

Tires are designed to work in various conditions as a pair. If you mix them, they may or may not work well together :D

And to add to that, tyres have different profiles so if you have a rounded front and sharper profile back then handling will be affected. I have been told by a good friend who knows his tyres that sometimes it really doesn't matter but it all depends on tyre, bike, riding style...etc...

rubber compounds could be slightly different as well, a BT medium could be different than a michelin meduim...which would let one tire slip before the other.

and to add to the profile, i went for a ride with FZ6inNH a couple weeks ago and we had the 2 different stock tire sets on the bike and mine was visually wider.

rubber compounds could be slightly different as well, a BT medium could be different than a michelin meduim...which would let one tire slip before the other.

and to add to the profile, i went for a ride with FZ6inNH a couple weeks ago and we had the 2 different stock tire sets on the bike and mine was visually wider.

Yeah, If memory serves me well, the BTs were a bit wider than the Dunlops and the Stradas....

I, for one, won't try to convince you. Honestly, unless you're seriously tracking/racing the bike, I don't think 'matched' pairs are going to make a world of difference on your work commute or quick trip to the supermarket. Common sense prevails.

I, for one, won't try to convince you. Honestly, unless you're seriously tracking/racing the bike, I don't think 'matched' pairs are going to make a world of difference on your work commute or quick trip to the supermarket. Common sense prevails.

-1. It can make a huge difference. Always run matched tires. One of my buddies ran mis matched on his bike even though I told him not to. After a week of riding and laying it down due to it he swears he will never run mis-matched again.

It can make the bike very unstable and even those corners that you are used to doing a certain speed everyday can become a problem.

Its just a bike rule of thumb. Always match. The small patch of tire that touches the asphalt is the only thing between you and the road. Wouldnt you want the best...

-bryan

I know people who ran mismatched tires on their bikes, including different plys and brands.

It's like walking with two different shoes on your feet.

One tire could warm-up faster than the other one.

Tires come in different speed ratings.

I still know people who ran mismatched tires though. I personally don't think it's a good idea.

Back