Outrageous prices for repair at local dealer?

What should I do?

• Get the work done here - these guys are nice and the prices are what everyone else will charge

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Get it done somewhere else - those prices are ridiculous!

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Do you it yourself - you'll be done before your wife will notices you're gone in the basement

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Get a used KTM SMT like you REALLY want to!

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C

CoolATIGuy

I got an email back from him that said, in all caps, "IF PRICING IS MORE OF A PRIORITY THAN QUALIY WORKMANSHIP IM SURE THERE ARE MANY OTHER SHOPS THAT WILL BE ABLE TO FULFIL YOU NEEDS" and hourly rate is $90.

Wow, if they charge that much AND that's his customer service ability (or lack thereof), sounds like maybe time to shop around?

My local guy is super friendly, and only charges $49.99 for an oil change...and $65 total to mount BOTH tires, just roll the bike in to him and he does the rest. Shop around - I look for auto guys that will let me ask all my questions without getting annoyed, and will take the time to explain things to me patiently.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey gang,

I got this price quote from my local dealer and wanted your input. They are really nice group of guys/gals and I like to try to bring them business whenever I can. I've always done my own maintenance, but this year we now have 2 little boys and free time is not in my vocabulary anymore. I wanted to find out how much my planned maintenance/upgrades would cost me and this is what I got back (I asked for breakdown of jobs down alone vs. combined with other jobs):

PRICES ORIGINAL

SPARK PLUG REPLACEMENT-$130
VALVE CLEARANCES INSPECT AND ADJUSTMENT $475
BRAKE HOSES+FLUID CHANGE-$150(using supplied lines)
BRAKE PADS F+R -$240
SWINGARM PIVOT REPACK-$315
COOLANT FLUSH-$100
FRONT FORK REPLACEMENT-$135(using supplied parts)
REPLACE REAR SHOCK-$135(using supplied parts)
LUBE OIL FILTER-$135 PARTS INCLUDED ( non synthetic oil )
TIRES INSTALLED PARTS AND LABOR-$450

TOTAL-$2265

OVERLAP PRICING PARTS AND LABOR
SPARK PLUGS/VALVES/COOLANT-$535
REPLACE BRAKE PADS/LINES/FLUID-$215
REPACK SWINGARM PIVOT/REPLACE REAR SHOCK-$360(with supplied parts)
OIL AND FILTER CHANGE-$90
NEW TIRES INSTALLED-$405(subtracting 1/2hr labor from original to repack S/A bearings)

TOTAL-$1605

Isn't $135 for an oil change outrageous? This costs me $60 for a full synthetic change on my car which takes twice the oil. It makes me wonder about the other prices being inflated as well.

My questions for yall are thusly:

1) What do you think of these prices, ie how do they compare to other stealerships you've work with?
2) do you think the time alloted for the above work is reasonable?
3) how long do you think it would take me to do the above on my own?

Thanks as always for the advice and insight

I will run out to the airport and fly up and perform the services above for only $2000 if you like :thumbup: Hell I bought my 2008 fz6 for not much more than what they are charging you for service on your bike lol

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't believe that place has those prices and has any business at all. I wonder if they looked at you and took you for a sucker so they jacked up all there prices.

If you aren't going to do the repairs yourself, get rid of the bike a buy another one instead.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Like others have mentioned, they are doulble dipping or overlapping labor rates. Meaning that they are charging you things that they have already performed. If you get your tires replaced, that's a good time to change out your brake pads since the tires are off. There should be no labor or very little labor added to that, just the cost of the pads which you could supply. Both times I had my pads swapped out were performed during the installation of new tires. I was told that my pads were very low, they showed them to me, and all I paid was for the cost of the pads. No labor.