Opinions of Speed & Strength

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my bike a couple of days ago so I haven't done a ton of riding yet. I picked up a Speed & Strength "Devil's in the Details" jacket about a month ago. It was a closeout item and it seemed like a very good price and they had my size (3XL and it's usually pretty hard for me to find stuff my size). Turns out it was a better price than anything I've found on the internet since. So far I really like the jacket but like I said, I've only ridden with it for several hours.

Anyways, what are your thoughts about Speed & Strength gear? I'm in the market for some pants and would like something that goes with the jacket. Is it okay to mix and match manufacturers or is it best to stick with the same one? How important is a zipper that attaches the jacket to the pants?

I'd like to spend $200 or less on a pair of pants. I'm open to pretty much anything, but would prefer an all-black pant.

Any opinions about pants or Speed & Strength in general would be greatly appreciated!

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
i'll chime in. With anything you buy, i believe you get what you pay for in quality, and in these days styling, and fit. You have to wear it, so you determine what you want to pay for your level of protection and style. I dont know anything about speed and strength gear except that they are relatively new to street bike apparel. Have fun in your new gear and create your own image.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't comment on the quality of their gear, I haven't owned any. But on the zipper to join the jacket and pants..

It is a good thing. :) it keeps your jacket from riding up your back or your pants from slidding off your ass, depending on which way you are going down the road. If you are going to wear pants, it would be silly not to use the added protection that joining them to your jacket gives.

Mix and match should be ok if the zippers mate. Check out gear at your local shop before you buy online (or at your shop) to see if the zippers are compatable.

S

Shamus McFeeley

Their marketing seems like more image than substance to me.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Its rare that cheap products actually live up to the bar set by far more expensive names. Thats not to say it cant been done, but having never even heard of S&S I cant provide any feedback regarding their quality.

However, I would highly suggest raising your budget slightly and picking up either:

- Joe Rocket Alter Ego Pants, I use these daily and they are great, especially for thos eof us who use boots. The side zippers are great.

But if I could go back and do it all over again, id buy a full set of the best protecting, best warrantied stuff in the business. Fully guaranteed, youll never need to buy new ones and they fullfill all needs, I would defs just save a lil extra and get the right stuff

air mesh kevlar pant

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a S&S JacketSpeed and Strength Under The Radar Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore and I like it for a textile. I know my next jacket will definately be a leather one however. I took a slow speed spill(10-15mph) and met the concrete with a bounce and it tore a dime size hole in the left shoulder. I don't think that leather would of done that..
Thats not against the jacket however, just the material.

So, IMO, S&S is good.

as for pants, I got Shift Racing Torque Jeans - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
I wear them all the time.....If I ever decide to go the track however I am going to purchase some good leathers with pads

Just my .02!

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
One of my riding buddies has a S&S full leather suit. He had a little "oops" at Deals Gap and ended up in a ditch. Not that it was a really fast or fretful fall, but the leathers seem to have held up well. He says they are comfortable, inexpensive and he has no complaints about them.

I can't comment personally. I've never worn his leathers.

pedge1

Reaction score
Visit site
One of my riding buddies has a S&S full leather suit. He had a little "oops" at Deals Gap and ended up in a ditch. Not that it was a really fast or fretful fall, but the leathers seem to have held up well. He says they are comfortable, inexpensive and he has no complaints about them.

I can't comment personally. I've never worn his leathers.

I have the same jacket, have worn it about 25 times this season. No quality issues so far. Very versitle jacket with the zip off panels.

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a S&S Leather jacket for a month, it was my first jacket and due to my parents being from Europe and having fairly large bikes in the 70-early80s they insisted only leather for a jacket.

I went to a store and tried on...
Speed and Strength Moment of Truth Leather Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

It fit well aside from the shoulders pads that can sometimes get out of place when you first put it on. Overall it was a very good quality jacket IMO but just too hot for Socal summers or most of socal weather.:thumbup:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the S&S Twist of Fate mesh jacket. I like the protection it offers (external + internal armor on shoulders and back as well as textile on the more abrasion-prone areas), it flows air nicely and the wind/water proof liner is nice but there are constantly loose threads coming out of it, the external rubber armor piece on the back is deteriorating and part of the SS logo on the front is coming up (doesn't look like it was sewn down to begin with) - this is after 3 months of use, roughly 3500 miles or so. If their gear cost less I'd say it's fine but I've seen much better stuff for the same price point - I have a leather Power Trip jacket that cost less and has held up for years...