Ok video gurus ...

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
... I need your help! I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 7 to make a couple of videos (you can see them [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqf5cyDbCrQ"]here[/ame] and here btw) but whatever I do the final exported video will always stutter and be jerky.

Please enlighten me how to fix that. I tried all sorts of codecs, pixel ratios, fps values, etc. How do I make my videos to run smooth???

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
The video you posted seemed ok except for some stutters at the beginning. Could it possibly be the footage? Have you tried publishing a different video? Or maybe it's your computer? I've only got some experience with premiere pro, and that's minimal, so I don't think I can be of much help. Good luck! :thumbup:

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ go pro videos play flawlessly. My computer has a quadcore CPU 6gb of ram and a 0.5Tb HDD. I don't think the issue would be in my hardware but I may be wrong.

I published quite a bit other videos and the stutter is always there and it's always in different places.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
The most important thing in your computer when in comes to video editing/processing is your graphic card. A good video editing graphic card will cost you between $2000 and $10,000 :)

Also, FYI, the size of your HDD makes no difference in processing video.

With all that said, I don't think your computer has anything to do with why your video is stuttering... Unfortunately I cannot see videos from work (on neither sites), so I can't really tell, but you're problem most likely comes from the export option in Element 7.

My recommendation: google the following "recommended video format for youtube"... check what they recommend and try to get as close to that when you export your project to what I assume is an .avi file.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That video was oddly soothing. I felt better after watching it. Go figure:rockon:

I know!!

Im seriously bookmarking this to watch over the winter.

Even with the stutters, I loved it man.

Please do keep them coming. We have a long cold winter up here.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What sort of camera? Does it stutter through the view finder on play back. Will a non riding video work OK?

The reason I ask is that I've seen a similar thing caused by the vibration of the camera on the bike. Sometimes it's enough to shut the camera down, but sometimes it causes a stuttering effect due to either the battery or card vibrating on the contacts.

Whatever the cause, I hope you find it and cure it. Nice vid:D

Cheers
Mike

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
What sort of camera? Does it stutter through the view finder on play back. Will a non riding video work OK?

The reason I ask is that I've seen a similar thing caused by the vibration of the camera on the bike. Sometimes it's enough to shut the camera down, but sometimes it causes a stuttering effect due to either the battery or card vibrating on the contacts.

Whatever the cause, I hope you find it and cure it. Nice vid:D

Cheers
Mike

The camera video clips are perfectly fine. Uploading to youtube doesn't make any difference in my case - the video stutters at the very same times on both the original (.avi) and on youtube.

I actually just installed Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and the stutter is gone but I still have to figure out the settings that combine decent quality with sub-1GB video size.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
The most important thing in your computer when in comes to video editing/processing is your graphic card. A good video editing graphic card will cost you between $2000 and $10,000 :)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Also, FYI, the size of your HDD makes no difference in processing video.

You know I was reading some forums after getting these issues I mentioned and some people actually claimed that HDD size does matter as well as disk fragmentation, free space and # of apps running at the same time with adobe premiere. I did find all this info highly unlikely but since I know jack**** about video editing I thought it may make sense in some weird, unusual way.

With all that said, I don't think your computer has anything to do with why your video is stuttering... Unfortunately I cannot see videos from work (on neither sites), so I can't really tell, but you're problem most likely comes from the export option in Element 7.

I got Premiere Pro and now the stutter is gone. All I gotta do is research the proper export options to get good quality and small file size all in the same package.

My recommendation: google the following "recommended video format for youtube"... check what they recommend and try to get as close to that when you export your project to what I assume is an .avi file.

Thanks for the hint. Will do that tomorrow morning. :cheer:

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you got it under control, but I work with this stuff all the time so I can't resist chiming in :)

I work on Macs and usually use Final Cut Pro or Avid so can't give you Premiere-related advice though :(

Like Wavex said, the stuttering is probably from your export settings in the old program. My guess is it did a bad job converting frame rates and used an older video codec. Sounds like your new app fixed that :thumbup:

(Note: my gopro files play at 27fps, which is very odd. I imagine older programs might not handle that smoothly)

In general, you want to keep the video either at it's native format/settings through the process, or convert it to something higher quality for the edit then export compressed videos from that. You will never get more detail than the original, but you can try to prevent further loss by bumping it up for the edit.

For exporting, since I'm on the Mac side, I usually use quicktime. Regardless, here are some tips:

If you want it to be a small file size, export it with a modern codec (H.264, AVC, MPEG4) at 320x240 but with a decent data rate (quality sliders at medium or better) and it will look fine. Experimentation is really the only way to find what works for what you want to do.

If this is something for youtube, I tend to use bigger frame sizes and deal with the bigger files to compensate for the compression that Youtube does. For the GoPro stuff, sometimes doubling the native frame size can keep it from looking soft after Youtube does it's thing. Be warned, 2x frame dimensions = 4x file size. :eek:

My usual settings are Motion Jpeg codec at 75%, 30fps, and then pick a frame size relative to what the footage was shot as. Keep in mind, I don't care about file size, so these often end up 100s of MB.

Stick with 29.97 or 30fps depending on your source. (15 fps will cut file size in half with a tolerable amount of choppiness, but our awesome motorcycle footage looks smoother when you keep it at the faster frame rate :thumbup:).

While the high end video work can benefit from those monster graphics cards, they aren't necessary for most consumer programs that we'd use for these kinds of videos. If the application is designed for it, your video card can help when you are using effects (color correction, other visual effects) and speed up exporting certain formats, but their primary job is only to make the picture show up on your monitor. :D

The first bottleneck you'll run into other than space Will only happen when you start working with uncompressed and/or large HD files. Some hard drives can't access the data fast enough. (That's a whole other geeky post though ;) )

Hope that helps you, or someone searching, but definitely look at youtube's info.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You know I was reading some forums after getting these issues I mentioned and some people actually claimed that HDD size does matter as well as disk fragmentation, free space and # of apps running at the same time with adobe premiere. I did find all this info highly unlikely but since I know jack**** about video editing I thought it may make sense in some weird, unusual way.

I got Premiere Pro and now the stutter is gone. All I gotta do is research the proper export options to get good quality and small file size all in the same package.

Thanks for the hint. Will do that tomorrow morning. :cheer:

I use premiere Pro as well... takes a bit of time to get used to it and learn all the keyboard shortcuts, but once you have it down, it's quite an awesome software.

HDD does come into play... but unless your HDD is a few years old (i.e. lower than 7200rpm) and/or too small, it should not be a problem.

Listen to PowellB though ^, he knows better than I :)

PowellB, I've tried to run AVID on a PC with a sub-$1000 graphic card and I was unsuccessful... forget about using a Gforce type graphic card too... I think it won't even let you install the software :)

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
I've had some issue with Youtube movies stuttering like that after upload. Turned out YT didnt care for my uber-high bitrate encodes, droped it down to "normal" levels and the stutter went away on YT.

Lesson: If the video plays fine before you upload it to YT, try tinkering with the export settings on your video program a bit.

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried to run AVID on a PC with a sub-$1000 graphic card and I was unsuccessful... forget about using a Gforce type graphic card too... I think it won't even let you install the software :)

Haha, I hear that. Avid is ridiculously picky on hardware they support. On the Mac side right now, the video card isn't crazy expensive, but the processors they want you to have are a $1500 option. :eek:

I use FCP at home cause it's a relative bargain and really flexible. On the Windows side Premiere Pro is great and I've heard some good things about Sony Vegas.

Some days I miss the simplicity and affordability of iMovie... These days I want to spend money on my bike, not my computer!!! :D