Oiling Chain without a Centerstand

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Ok, not an FZ6 in the video, but cool none the less.

I took this video the other weekend of how my friend oils his chain on his ZX10R. Enjoy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79RgJ29lb9U"]YouTube- How to Oil a Motorcycle Chain without using a Center Stand[/ame]

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I enjoyed using my center stand today.....my chain was filthy! Took a while to clean it and then re-lube it. That is a clever way to use the side stand, though!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
That procedure looks a tad laborious to me but nonetheless gets the job done. I've gotten really spoiled having a centerstand. I don't think I would buy a new bike without a centerstand... I guess that rules out the FZ8

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
That's similar to how I learned to rotate a sportbike.

Sidestand down.
Steering to full right lock.
From left side of bike, grab right handlebar/clip-on with left hand & right subframe/rear peg/etc. with right hand.
Pull the bike gently to tip it towards you, maintaining control over the balance on the sidestand as the wheels lift.
Spin in your choice of direction.
Gently tip back towards the ground until the bike is stable on the wheels and stand.

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
pretty sweet

i hate centerstands.

that's why i got a paddock stand though. hooks under the swingarm nice and quick and makes working the chain simple.

i used to roll down the driveway 2 feet at a time.

lol

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do a similar thing but use the pillion grab-handle to pull the tail left and off the ground (pivoting on the sidestand). Can do the whole chain in 30secs. I spray in the same region although don't bother with the rag. Gets the lube on the best side (inside) of the chain.

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
Now I feel dumb. I usually just grab the spoke on the rear wheel while standing behind the bike to rotate the wheel. It's a good work out when I clean and lube the chain. The only draw back is that my right arm looks like Popeye's arm, so I need to hit the gym to make the left one match. :BLAA:

Inventure

Reaction score
Visit site
Old post, but from what I know of chains the main idea of lubing the chain it to keep the O-rings (X-ring, W-ring, O-ring etc) lubes to protect the seal. The lube that is on the pins of the chain is held in there by the o-rings. If the o-rings dry out, the lube comes out from the pins.

Only mention this because there is the question in this thread of where do you aim the spray.