Oil ????? (not the usual!)

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I got back from a 478 mile trip to Gettysburg PA late this evening. I decided to change my oil before I depart tomorrow on my weekend ride. While changing it I noticed it was rather dark, and had a really strong fuel odor. It's been about 3,500 miles since my last change, but I've never came across this before. Usually the oil looks as good as the day I put it in, but not today.

Any idea as to why it may have fuel in it?

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Should have said, but it's a 2007 with 13,156 miles. Used Yamaha lube the first change, Amsoil the second and Rotella synt ever since. I know this has nothing to do with fuel, but someone will ask.

I've seen this happen on a little Ninja that had a leaky pet****, but never on a fuel injected bike.

W

wrightme43

That is odd man.
Blackstone labs does oil sampling. Maybe save a sample, order thier free kit, and mail it in, then pull a sample of your new oil at 1000 and send it in.

Some reasons fuel would be in the oil, is leaky rings, or a cyl that is not firing all the time and the cyl pressure is not building to the point where it seals the rings. How long since plug replacement?

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
It's only been about 3,500 mile since my last change. I changed it before the Deals Gap trip, and just changed it today. It was just strange to see the dark oil coming out. I stuck my finger in it and gave it a good smell. Really strong gas smell!

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You may very well have a plugged injector. Usually gas in the oil is from incomplete combustion, and this explains why the oil got dark, you have a cylinder running rich. I have seen this before on cars, an injector gets clogged up with varnish or other gunk and makes the spray pattern horrible. The fuel droplets are larger and hence do not burn as quickly. If you pull you plugs, it should identify the cylinder that is having issues. If one plug looks different, maybe try running a few tanks of a good quality premium gasoline (BP, Mobil, Shell, ETC). If you currently use premium gas, then add an appropriate mix of injector cleaner. I have had the best luck with the Chevron Techron and the Shell V Power fuel system cleaners. Just do not add a whole bottle, as that usually treats 12 gallons or so.

The only other thing I can think of is a sticking piston ring, which with running Rotella T Syn, seems rather unlikely(that oil has a really good additive package).

Last edited:

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
what kind of gas mileage have you been getting? Making short trips often or just letting the bike run for a few minutes often? The dark oil isn't really abnormal, its supposed to get dark, that shows that it's collecting the contaminents in the motor. Also, with having a wet clutch, it does a number on the oil. Thats one reason pretty much all motorcycles with wetclutches call for an oil change ever 4k miles, whereas a BMW with a dry clutch is good for 6k miles.

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
Also just to let you know, if you havent changed your plugs, they were supposed to be changed at 8k according to the service manual. As stated before, when gas + oil are mixed, it is either the rings are shot (not likely) your injector is clogged (possible) or you may have a fouled plug that isnt firing. Pull the plugs and check them. Has it been running well? Consuming more gas lately?

I had a 5.0 mustang that was running so rich (because of bad fuel pressure regulator), it tore the rings up and my oil was full of gas. Had to rebuild the bottom end.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys. I changed the plugs around 8,000 miles. I haven't noticed any performance issues, or gas mileage drops. I just pulled the plugs again and they look the same.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys. I changed the plugs around 8,000 miles. I haven't noticed any performance issues, or gas mileage drops. I just pulled the plugs again and they look the same.

Well If all the plugs look like that, then you don't have a misfire issue. Since you changed the oil, I would monitor it closely. If there are drastic changes in color, smell, viscosity, then there maybe something else going on. Maybe you just got a tank of bad gas. If you really want peace if mind send the old oil in for an analysis. Blackstone Labs does oil testing. This will be the only way to see how much fuel is actually in the oil. Normal is 2% or under. If you just ran the bike briefly to warm up the oil to do the change, then that may have contributed to the fuel smell. No need to panic yet!:thumbup:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
What about the clutch...did you burn it up at all? That would certainly contaminate your oil.

With Fuel?

No, nothing out of the ordinary. I ordered one of the oil test kits so I'll have them chdeck it out. I'll be sure and post the results when they arrive.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
No, not with fuel but I don't think we know for sure that the oil had fuel in it...? I'm just throwing ideas out...take it for what it's worth.

Interested to hear the results.

My $100 offer still stands.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
No, not with fuel but I don't think we know for sure that the oil had fuel in it...? I'm just throwing ideas out...take it for what it's worth.

Interested to hear the results.

My $100 offer still stands.

No, I don't know for sure that it had fuel in it. I was going by smell alone with with that. I always clean the dipstick with my fingers and smell the oil afterwards. Don't know why, but I always do it and have never really smelled the strong odor before. We'll see what the test say.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Blackstone sends you these cool little containers to ship the oil in. I'll over night it to them tomorrow and should have the results this week.