Oil filters that will fit

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I use. Let us know the color of the filters. Purolator switched to yellow recently. I got mine from Pep Boys... still blue on the shelf.

Received the oil filters today, and will be returning them tomorrow. They are not just yellow, but a coarse (almost like sandpaper) piss yellow color! So much for a good deal. I'll just look elsewhere...

(edit) Just called every auto parts store in the surrounding area that sell Puroltaor and none of them still have any in blue. It's back to step 1!

Last edited:

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just as an FYI walmart has oil filter sockets that fit the yamaha oil filters... not sure, this might be common knowledge, but i just found out.. lot easier than tryin to get it off any other way

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Received the oil filters today, and will be returning them tomorrow. They are not just yellow, but a coarse (almost like sandpaper) piss yellow color! So much for a good deal. I'll just look elsewhere...

(edit) Just called every auto parts store in the surrounding area that sell Puroltaor and none of them still have any in blue. It's back to step 1!

Yikes.... is it that bad?

W

wrightme43

Just paint them man. Just paint them.
Metallic blue spray paint is cheap and available.
Or black.

pharmer

Reaction score
Visit site
For the color conscious, I just picked up a Mobil 1 M1-110 at Walmart this evening. It was $7.67, and it's black in color.

Not the "first choice" Pure One, but still recommended.

I bought one for my GMC truck, too. The oil filter comparison link was very illuminating, and a bit scary.

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
Steve, you made the point of saying that no motorcycle filters were recommended, yet list a factory Honda P/N and a K&N motorcycle specific filter.

Then in the same breath (sorta ;) ) list a Fram filter, which I personal feel is like using Popsicle sticks in a stud wall, but whatever.

FWIW, the Honda filter and the K&N filter are both made by Hi-Flo, but to the companies specifications, not necessarily Hi-Flo's. Just like Honda oil is made by Mobil, but only the base stock, the additive package is designed by a company called Apollo Engineering and even then they sold it to Honda, Honda did not come up with the specifications themselves.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Bruce

W

wrightme43

Motorcycle Filters.
None are recommended.

AC Delco PF2135
AMSOil SMF103
Carquest 85358
FRAM PH6017A
Honda 15410-MCJ-000
K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
NAPA Gold 1358
Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
STP SMO 17
WIX 51358

^NONE are reccomended.

W

wrightme43

Recommended filters.
All have superior
filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion

^^^
Are reccomended.

I use the longer pureone and use 3 quarts. Its works perfect.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle Filters.
None are recommended.

AC Delco PF2135
AMSOil SMF103
Carquest 85358
FRAM PH6017A
Honda 15410-MCJ-000
K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
NAPA Gold 1358
Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
STP SMO 17
WIX 51358

^NONE are reccomended.
The part number for the K&N is actually KN-303
And why don't you recommend any of those?
I understand the cheap brands, but why not K&N? I've used K&N filters in every vehicle I've owned and they filter well and have never had problems. Plus the nut on the end is extremely helpful.

W

wrightme43

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

Well I know this sounds like sacralige to alot of people but KN is not all its sold to be.

I dont like thier airfilters or really anything they make.

Here is the inside of a hiflo/kn filter.

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/hiflo303.shtml

Here is the same filter dyed red KN/hiflo
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/kandn.shtml

Pureone by Purolator really is the best filter on the market today. Multiple filter media types, efficancy rated at 25micron and 10 microns, grippy outside, silocone antidrainback, quality case, quality threads.

KN is selling a paper filter at a premium price. Like thier airfilter it lets larger particles thru and they charge extra for it.

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
OK, I misunderstood how you posted in regards to what was good and evil.

Having said that...

I know of multiple Goldwings that have over 300,000 miles on them and have never used anything but genuine Honda filters and oil in them. ("What? Use anything but Honda products in their flagship motorcycle? Are you nuts???) I also know of a certain Kawasaki Nomad with nearly 40,000 miles that has had nothing but Motul oil and a mixture of Kawasaki, Hi-Flo and K&N filters and is still going strong.

So, using the logic applied on another thread where a parts flunky at a stealership told someone not to use the diesel oil of choice on this forum and many people came back with the same type of answers and testimonials that I just gave, does that blow Steve's 'experts' and opinion out of the water?

I'm just sayin'...

Steve, I love the info, glad you provided it and I'm not picking on you. I also tend to agree with you about K&N air filters, but will add that my feelings really only apply in an off road environment where dust and dirt are more likely to be a real issue. But I also have seen reports that show that a K&N when used with a pre-charger (basically a foam outer layer) a K&N filters as well as a standard off road foam filter.

The point here really is that 99% of the oil filters on the market filter well enough that an engines longevity is hardly effected, just as with 99% of the oils commercially available your not going to have any oil related issues that will cause a drop in performance or the engines life. In the end it comes down to what makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

Bruce

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Not a problem in the world man. I know I am opinionated and kind of a jerk sometimes. LOL I really try hard not to be.

My way of looking at it is if there is something that is proven better in real testing that costs less, and something proven worse in real testing that costs more, I am going to go with the cheaper/better option.

I didnt call it a stealership. LOL I did say they guy was either uneducated, or intentionally selling what he had, or he may be retarded. The last part was a joke of course.

If one oil is not as good in testing and cost 3 times as much and another oil is very good in testing and costs less which would you buy?

Its just that simple.

I like my dealership here in town. I bought my bike in town and paid extra for it there because I wanted to get it here. I know I could of saved 500-700 by going to Nashville where they would never see me again.

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
No no no no, noooo. Please don't think I was implying anything at all! And I know you didn't make any reference to 'stealerships', it was just a way of making a point.

As was my whole reply. IMHO most of the tests and expert opinions are as much about drama and selling a product (if nothing more than just their results). In most cases the variance between one product and another isn't as great as the hoopla suggests it is. Think of (Bryan forgive me) qualifying at a NASCAR race. 43 cars are separated by tenths or hundredths of a second. Less time than it takes for your eye to blink. Yet listen to all the pre-race hype by the media and you'd think it was a huge span of time. Such as it is for microns...

Another closer to home and personal example for me was when the trucking company I was working for at the time was asked to participate in a test for a company that was one of the first to market synthetic oils (who shall remain nameless). They were doing extended drain interval tests and in theory they sounded good, but weren't much more than a joke in reality. The engines held something like 16 gallons of oil including what was in the large capacity external auxiliary filter, which held about 4 gallons if memory serves. What they would do is this; Check the engine oil level, and top it off. Remove the OE engine oil filters and top off the new ones with fresh oil. Remove the external filter, drain the can, replace the filter then refill the can and soak the filter. Crank the engine and let it warm up, then take a sample out of the external filter can and sent it off to an independent lab for analysis.

How do you think it tested? :D

To answer your question the amount of money saved or spent in an oil change by using one product over another isn't my primary concern. I also take my own personal results and feedback from other people that I trust, like you, far more seriously than any test results and in the end use what makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

In regards to oil and filters I've been real happy with Motul's E-Tech and 7100 oils, I'm considering giving the 300V a shot this time around. I can get OEM Kaw filters, but I'm real partial to K&N's because they have served me well and I love the handy bolt head on the top of the filter. Plus I have the added piece of mind knowing that my money was spent in a small local business that helps to feed people I know and love, and not in a big box store that treats it's employees like an expense that needs to be kept down and supports expoliting cheap foreign labor in the name of profits.

Test over, results are in. YMMV. ;)

Bruce

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

LOL it tested great because they cheated. LOL

I didnt think you were getting on me at all man. Its all good to me. I just wanted to make sure you didnt think I was knocking all dealerships. You know what I really want? Lots of extra money to build my own crazy test rigs and test stuff and experiment all day. LOL

I would get some weird stuff done. Any quality oil and oil filter will work. Its just that some are better than others and I do agree at a certain point its good enough and the variances between the best and 5th best are very small.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just thought you all should know that the list Steve posted at the beginning of this thread lists filters that will ALSO fit the FZ6R and the FZ1. Of course it applies also to the R6 AND R1. Please be sure to get the correct LENGTH for your bike. In some cases, such as my new FZ1, I cannot use the long filter due to the proximity to the headers.

I put this list on my Crackberry so that when I am at a store, I can check sale prices and pick up filters on the spot.

Oblinox

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks alot man i just orderd some pureone's on amazon

Purolator PL14612 PureONE Oil Filter (Pack of 2)
List Price: $31.12
Price: $9.48 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $21.64 (70%)
Rebate: $4.00
Price After Rebate: $5.48

pretty damn good price if u ask me! :)

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
very happy that i can use the same filters i have on my Vulcan. I have 3 PL14610's sitting in a box too. But they are the new gold "bling" ones with the grip material which is nice. Sure the blue would be nice to go with the blue FZ but i dont mind the gold. the filter is almost tucked away anyhow.

Reactions: GJH

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Recommended filters.
All have superior
filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion

^^^
Are reccomended.

I use the longer pureone and use 3 quarts. Its works perfect.
Writghtme43,

First, thanks for the posting. I have ~1500 on my Fz6 and want to change the oil myself for the last 3 months before having to winterize it.

Picked up the Mobil 1 M1-110, just couldn't go with the pure one gold. In hindsight, it is pretty well hidden.

Also went with everyone's positive opinions of the Rotella T 5w-40 synth. With the longer filter, is 3 QTs the right amount? And are the markings on the handle of the gallon jug accurate enough? So just go three ticks down on the quart side?

Thanks for the info guys, looking to do the change tomorrow. Will have to borrow a baking pan from the GF so I don't get oil all over my floor.

Scorpio

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
3 quarts shold be just fine. You could use the tick but I would just get a cheap measuring cup. I got a cheap-o at the dollar tree.
Writghtme43,

First, thanks for the posting. I have ~1500 on my Fz6 and want to change the oil myself for the last 3 months before having to winterize it.

Picked up the Mobil 1 M1-110, just couldn't go with the pure one gold. In hindsight, it is pretty well hidden.

Also went with everyone's positive opinions of the Rotella T 5w-40 synth. With the longer filter, is 3 QTs the right amount? And are the markings on the handle of the gallon jug accurate enough? So just go three ticks down on the quart side?

Thanks for the info guys, looking to do the change tomorrow. Will have to borrow a baking pan from the GF so I don't get oil all over my floor.

Scorpio