Odometer resets when ignition is turned off?

curlywesterman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Am new to the forum and to the FZ6, picked up a 2004 model believed to have 9000 miles on it for only £1895 today and am loving it! :D Was forced into changing my cb500 after a police van decided to reverse into me at a set of red lights at 5am!!!
The bike is in brilliant condition except for that the odometer resets when the bike is turned off? The trip counter memory is fine but the odometer resets back to 0 every time i turn the ignition on? :S The clocks have apparently been replaced so it takes that out of the equation, have tried searching the forum with no avail, am guessing there must be some sort of memory chip which is failing but dont really have a clue?
Also, it doesn't seem to like downshifting more than one gear quickly, when i downshift it's not ready to downshift again straight away. Wondering if it might be caused by the gear lever being too high and my foot still applying some pressure on it not allowing it all the way back up. Will experiment but was just wondering if this was a known problem?

Any help and advice would be appreciated to this FZ6 neewbie!!

Alabusa

Rollin' on the river
Reaction score
Visit site
Never seen the odo problem on a bike. A buddy has a car that does the same thing and also everytime it is started it shows a full tank of gas. gas gauge drops as normal but resets to full like the odo to 0. Dealer told him it was a computer glitch. Only fix is to replace or send ecu in to factory to be reprogramed.
sent from Bama using tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd check the basic's first.

I'd also have the battery load tested. If, when cranking (majority of the load on the battery), the voltage drops below a certain point, it'll lose the clock and all mileage (as if you disconnected the battery).

Make sure your battery connections are clean and tight as well.

Also, if the dash display dims or goes out now (where it didn't before) again, when cranking, its pointing towards a failing battery.

BTW, just before changing out the battery on my FZ (about 3 years old), a volt meter showed voltage dropping to approx 8 volts (when cranking) and it still started... Same thing with my FJR with a failing battery..

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Ride it for 10k miles then sell it as "new" :thumbup: lol j/k

Stuff like that doesn't reset without a cause. Usually something thats supposed to stay on like that but doesn't is due to the internal battery dying, but if the trip stays that wouldn't be it... some kind of sensor/guage fault/short maybe? sounds like a Cliff question to me. i'm stumped, but i'm an electra-tard so i'm probably no use anyhow lol

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
The odo is usually stored in non-volatile memory. So even if the battery died for years and you plugged a good battery up, you'd see the correct mileage. Most computers store the current trip and mileage in volatile memory while the bike is on, and use a capacitor like a short term battery to finish shut down and storage into non-volatile memory when the key is turned off. Some cars will store other things as well, like fuel and such. Our bikes only keep trip and odo, and reads the fuel pump level during start-up self test.

My guess is that the memory for the odo was damaged if the trip reads fine. Or that somewhere between memory and the gauge, the serial line got grounded. That would give no indication to a computer during a simple start up check that memory was bad, it would just send and receive 000000000000. The ECU would just assume that the bike had no miles. It's probably not the end of the world, but a new ECU is probably you're only way to fix it.

Send in a request to Yamaha USA's racer support division and they could probably tell you exactly what you'd need to fix that. I doubt you'll ever get true mileage though.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Because keeping and reporting the actual miles is required by law in most areas, it cannot rely on something that goes flat like a battery, capacitor, or energy storage device. Its more likely that its stored in flash RAM/ROM EEPROM etc.

Look the battery posts over for clamp marks and/or marring on the exterior as this could indicate being jump started. Jump starts could have damaged the odometer or ECMs memory device.

Either way, it sounds like you need to get it repaired. I think I'd be looking on eBay and then file the proper paper work indicating the difference. Well that is if the ODO is stored in the display meter but it wouldn't surprise me if its in the ECM? Does anyone know this for certain?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just saw some guy who was selling 07 and newer type ODO and clocks and he stated he could program it close to the mileage you required on your bike. I think it was on Fleabay (Ebay) Apparently it's not stored in the ECU.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Hi,

Am new to the forum and to the FZ6, picked up a 2004 model believed to have 9000 miles on it for only £1895 today and am loving it! :D Was forced into changing my cb500 after a police van decided to reverse into me at a set of red lights at 5am!!!
The bike is in brilliant condition except for that the odometer resets when the bike is turned off? The trip counter memory is fine but the odometer resets back to 0 every time i turn the ignition on? :S The clocks have apparently been replaced so it takes that out of the equation, have tried searching the forum with no avail, am guessing there must be some sort of memory chip which is failing but dont really have a clue?
Also, it doesn't seem to like downshifting more than one gear quickly, when i downshift it's not ready to downshift again straight away. Wondering if it might be caused by the gear lever being too high and my foot still applying some pressure on it not allowing it all the way back up. Will experiment but was just wondering if this was a known problem?

Any help and advice would be appreciated to this FZ6 neewbie!!

The shifter linkage on your bike is dirty. You need to lubricate the linkage points. Get some white lithium grease, and shoot some into the pivot points on the entire linkage all the way into the transmission case.

Can't help you with the odometer.. that might be a Euro spec problem....