NYC -> Boston MA... need advise

metallicat

Reaction score
www.khandrosdesigns.com
I am going up to MA in a bit and was thinking of riding up there instead of the usual car ride. I know there's no easy answer because... well... its all highways/turnpikes - BUT can anyone offer any advise about any half decent roads, stops, etc? I'll be going w/ another buddy of mine. Maybe 2.

Thanks!

I know one thing for sure, I would stay away from I-95. I would swing around the back side taking the Tapanzee Bridge or I-684 through Hartford. Nothing but semi's on I-95 through Connecticut.

I know one thing for sure, I would stay away from I-95. I would swing around the back side taking the Tapanzee Bridge or I-684 through Hartford. Nothing but semi's on I-95 through Connecticut.

Wow you know ur stuff Vegas!

I'm with VEGASRIDER - stay away from I-95.
We used to go to Maine almost every other weekend - Merritt to 91, to I-84 to I-90 - that's the way I'd go. I've done full I-95 every once in a while, and there were a couple of times it worked out ok, but I'd go through central CT.

Wow you know ur stuff Vegas!

LOL, yeah I've been everywhere.

Back on topic, you could always take the ferry from Port Jefferson from LI to New London. That will at least avoid most of the I-95 chaos through Fairfield County.

Awesome point thanks! Ferry is a unique spin... little out of the way. Why is time always a factor :spank:?!

Once I go (few weeks) - I'll mention what to do - or rather what NOT to do ;).

Make sure its to New London and not Bridgeport, Bridgeport won't do you any favors since it puts you in the middle of the garbage you,re trying to avoid. You may have to ride out to the very end of Long Island to catch a ferry to New London, not sure if the Port Jefferson Terminal goes to NL. I've taken both ferries before but it was a long time ago.

I would go the Merritt route like Smersh stated.

"Merritt to 91, to I-84 to I-90 - that's the way I'd go. " Seems like less headache, and more fun!

Slow down on I84, guys on NESR are complaining on always getting pulled over there with out of state plates and getting tickets

when the time comes and I have to get my bike to Virginia Beach, I really wanted to ride it there but might end up getting a trailer just so I don't have to deal with the NYC traffic :
(

Route 8 is niceish. Take 15 to Rt 8, all the way until the expressway ends. There's some twisty roads and nice riding at Rt's 219 and 20 around the reservoir. Or you can continue up Rt 8 into MA, then take 57 towards Springfield.

Saville Dam in Barkhamstead (sorry not my FZ6)
12730706893_6db449ef12_o.jpg

Route 8 is niceish. Take 15 to Rt 8, all the way until the expressway ends. There's some twisty roads and nice riding at Rt's 219 and 20 around the reservoir. Or you can continue up Rt 8 into MA, then take 57 towards Springfield.

Saville Dam in Barkhamstead (sorry not my FZ6)
12730706893_6db449ef12_o.jpg
Sweet! Gracias.

Back