numb hands

dblaze

Reaction score
Visit site
I am suffering from numb hands while on long rides it kicks in about half an hour on the bike, has anyone experienced this and found a solution?
The bike is a FZ6 S2 naked 2008

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
my fingers get numb after about half an hour or so too. and i haven found a solution to it yet. probably going to change to stock bmw grips, i have used them before on my old bike, travelled longer distances and never got same feeling like now.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't hold on too tight. I keep a couple of fingers on the brake and clutch levers. That not only helps with emergency stops but makes sure I don't grip too hard. Having grips with a tacky surface helps with this.

Tim

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
Throttlemeister heavy bar ends help a bit with the vibrations, but more importantly allow you to remove your throttle hand on those long stretches. Also, i noticed a slight reduction in vibes when i installed the bar risers.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
- I noticed a little tiny bit of relief with bar risers (1" up 1" back)
- The Cramp Buster helps too on the throttle
- Relaxing your hands helps a ton
- Having your throttle hand in just the right position can suddenly bring the feeling back
- I ordered Grip Puppies too, so we shall see

...in short, the bike makes pretty strong high-frequency vibes (side note - why does saying this seem to offend some people here?), so to get around it a lot of us have to do a little bit of everything. I know my hands sure as hell go numb after 30 minutes at 70+mph.

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not had any wrist issues till this year. I thought it was because of my bicycle riding and all of the potholes out there this year. I picked up the FZ late last year and I am starting to wonder if my sore wrists are from the FZ vibrations. I seem to be worse when I get to commute everyday.:confused:

I will try the bar snake and also add grip puppies. I have big hands so the extra diameter will help that.

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
I got rid of a VFR800 Honda & bought the Fz6 for this very reason.
Weight on the hands will cause numbness & I tried everything from risers to Heli-Bars on the VFR and nothing worked so I moved over to the Fz for a more upright riding position.
Make sure you're not locking your elbows and leaning on the bars, sit a bit more upright and loosen your grip. If the grip puppies don't work, try some risers. Good luck!

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I think a bunch said something to the effect of getting the weight off of your hands, not gripping so tight, getting better grips (to reduce vibration).

Also, squeeze the tank with your thighs and hold on that way -- not with your hands. Hands just sit (maybe float) on top of the bars.

Also, ensure that you're brake and clutch levers are rotated so that your forearm and wrists are in as straight of a line as possible (using the riding position you will be in most). If there is too much bend at your wrist, it cuts blood flow and makes hand motions awkward and adds lots of tension.

For example, if you're riding in race tuck for a long time, the levers should probably be almost horizontal -- because your forearms will be horizontal. If you're upright most of the time, the levers should be angled down more.

Dennis

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
I think a bunch said something to the effect of getting the weight off of your hands, not gripping so tight, getting better grips (to reduce vibration).

Also, squeeze the tank with your thighs and hold on that way -- not with your hands. Hands just sit (maybe float) on top of the bars.

Also, ensure that you're brake and clutch levers are rotated so that your forearm and wrists are in as straight of a line as possible (using the riding position you will be in most). If there is too much bend at your wrist, it cuts blood flow and makes hand motions awkward and adds lots of tension.

For example, if you're riding in race tuck for a long time, the levers should probably be almost horizontal -- because your forearms will be horizontal. If you're upright most of the time, the levers should be angled down more.

Dennis

definitely being "light" on your hands helps and move them about, vary your grip position and force . . .

here's why it happens
there's a couple of nerves that run past the inside of your wrist into the palm of your hand, excess pressure on them WILL cause numbness, median nerve shown and the other one (sure it called radial nerve) goes to the little finger and little finger side of the ring finger
carpaltunnelanatomy.jpg

I had all this explaned to me by my doctor, when I still had numb hands 1 week after having cycled from London to Paris, a few years ago . . . . . .

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
vibs do that...

i installed bar snake - big difference
took off loud ass two bros - huge difference

also grip pups are supposed to work great but you may not like how they feel sinze they are thick..

dblaze

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback I will try to put into practise all the advise, I think by the sounds of things its bad practise on my part still being new to riding having only past my motorcycle test 27.12.2009. I'm probably putting way too much weight on the bars & squeezing the hell out of the grips.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A good sync on the FI wouldn't hurt.

+1 on the grip puppies, 1" and 1" back risers.

I also wear Olympia Gel, vented leather gloves. The gel is on the palm side, the leather elsewhere has mulitple holes for venting/cooling.

For long rides, a cramp buster (properly adjusted) allows your hand to rest on the throttle vs gripping it. I don't have it on the FZ6 but have a Throttlemeister on my FJR.