Noticing a trend in FZ6 Horsepower Obsession

What will provide the best real world performance for the FZ?

• Leave it alone, she's fine the way she is.

Votes: 225 49.9%
  • Exhaust, air filter, airbox mods that get us 5-10 hp increase ($200 per 1 hp increase).

Votes: 78 17.3%
  • Engine Swap with R6 for a 35 hp increase ($64 per 1 hp increase).

Votes: 23 5.1%
  • Suspension, everybody knows suspension is where it's at for real world performance increase.

Votes: 125 27.7%

• Total voters

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
This bike has more power than you can use with the suspension it was given. Upgrade the suspension and this thing can run with the supersports.

Esra

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm always cautious about upgrades that add too much horsepower, like supercharging or engine swaps.

The rest of the machine needs to be set and able to handle the additional power. Brakes, suspension, frame...

Can't list the number of cars I've driven that are ruined by adding too much power.

Better to leave the bike the way it is (with in limits, nothing wrong with adding cans or maybe suspension tweaks) and upgrading to a different model when you're ready for the power.

Remember though I doubt anyone on here would even be getting to 90% of what a stock standard FZ6 or R6 is capable of. Hand one of these bikes over to Rossi or Stoner and see what they can really do.

So why be obsessed with what is, in the end, just a number.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
can someone elaborate on suspension? it's a bike.. it has one spring under the seat, do you mean forks too? im lost.

The suspension consists of the springs as well as shocks (shock absorbers), both front and rear. The front springs are packaged inside each of the two front fork tubes, which also contain the shocks. The rear shock is that metal can thing that fits inside the spring you see under the seat.

The purpose of springs is to basically just hold up the weight of the bike, so heavier riders (or very light riders) and anyone who pushes the bike hard at the track will need to adjust the spring rate to compensate. The rider's weight also affects the bike's ride height, so it is adjustable on the rear of the FZ6 as it is on almost all bikes except cruisers I think.

Shock absorbers are there to prevent the bike from bouncing all over the place on the springs. They basically control the movement of the suspension, which is the key to good handling.

On any bike, they always end up having to compromise the shock settings between sporty control and day-to-day comfort. The FZ6 suspension is a little bit more sport-oriented compared to other sport-touring style bikes, but not by much. It's still a somewhat soft suspension for real good cornering control. For that reason the stock suspension really isn't suitable to hard track riding, it kinda feels like riding a marshmallow when cornering hard.

Sportier bikes come with stiffer shocks and some more adjustability to allow each rider to finely tune the behaviour of their suspension to get exactly the control they need, that's how important shock absorbers are to the handling. This adjustability is also lacking on the Fizzer, but considering how softly it's sprung, there wouldn't be much value to adjustable shocks anyways. A lot of riders here have swapped out their stock forks for R6 forks to get the stiffness and adjustability they need for sportier handling. Some will also get a different shock for the rear too, but that's more expensive and the benefits aren't as significant as swapping the front forks.

I'm not sure if any of these mods add anything substantial to real-world performance, but then maybe those guys/gals who've done the mods can chime in on that?

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
fastar1 That was a good overview but want to add a few things.

First although commonly called "shocks" they are really dampers. They dampen the compression and rebound of the bike. Having adjustable compression and rebound will allow you to slow or quicken the movement of the suspension. A quick compression will make the bike comfortable while a quick rebound will allow the travel to return back to optimum faster. Likewise a slow compression will keep the bike from bottoming quickly over big bumps or quickly G loading when entering fast conners at race speeds. A slow rebound can make the suspension compact over a rough road.

Also adjusting the spring does not change spring rate, spring rate is always the same unless you have dual or raising rate springs. The spring adjuster only sets ride hight. The correct ride hight is important to maintain correct suspension and steering geometry.

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
fastar1 That was a good overview but want to add a few things.

First although commonly called "shocks" they are really dampers. They dampen the compression and rebound of the bike. Having adjustable compression and rebound will allow you to slow or quicken the movement of the suspension. A quick compression will make the bike comfortable while a quick rebound will allow the travel to return back to optimum faster. Likewise a slow compression will keep the bike from bottoming quickly over big bumps or quickly G loading when entering fast conners at race speeds. A slow rebound can make the suspension compact over a rough road.

Also adjusting the spring does not change spring rate, spring rate is always the same unless you have dual or raising rate springs. The spring adjuster only sets ride hight. The correct ride hight is important to maintain correct suspension and steering geometry.

I raise you my hat! Finally someone that understand spring rate!!! Pre loading a spring do not change spring rate, it just change the amount of weight require to make the spring initially move.

As for damping... that's a science of it own. On an open wheel car, even the most experience driver can't feel anything over 5"/sec. Above that it's HS stuff.

As a rule of thumb I like to suggest... Use as little damping as you need. Or start on the soft side.

HSBumb: Go stiffer until you feel like a donkey kick you in the butt everytime you hit a bump, then back off a litlle.

LSBump: That should have to do with the speed that the bike transfer from front to rear. If you hit the throttle and can't feel the bike transferring weight to the rear wheel (power down) it mean you might be too stiff on Low speed bump.

HSRedound: After hitting a bump, notice how the bike react. If you close the rebound too much the wheel will stay up off the ground... don't want that on a bike! Too soft will get you "driving grand pa Cadillac feel"

LSRebound: This is what you might feel the most. The way the bike feel under braking and acceleration. Start on the soft side and go stiffer a little at a time.

I have a racecar background here, I'm just truing to explain in my own words... Just not sure 100% how all that stuff might apply to a motorcycle. But all I have to say is too stiff is not good. Stiff enough is what you want. You want stiff enough to transfer all the load, braking or acceleration, to the tires and keeping them on the ground! Too stiff will make the tire go over bump and not following the road.

One last thing... tires have spring rate too. Pressure are important, keep them constant.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Adding to this suspension stuff. . .
Lets separate what we intend to do here. The Fizzer was never meant to be a race bike. IS that where this thread is going?

It's more of a "jack of all trades" and as such, its suspension is soft to handle light people over smooth terrain as well as some heavier folks over rougher terrain. So, keep your focus when tuning. What do you do with it 90% of the time?

I'm just saying there are many ways this thread is being divided:
Lighten it and reduce unsprung weight = thats good for acceleration, but can hurt longevity.
Stiffen it and control the suspension = good for the track, but may rattle your teeth.
Control the suspension = adjust it to where/how you ride => good daily use.
More HP? Yes its nice to have, but is it worth the sacrifice?

See my sig. . .

Esra

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want more power and better suspension, just sell the FZ6 and buy an R6.

Put some raisers on it and the ride isn't even that harsh.

Amazing how many people buy one thing and try to mod it into something that already exists.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site

Amazing how many people buy one thing and try to mod it into something that already exists.

What about those of us who love it's looks. It's feel? We could buy a turbo busa and still try to make it faster; we all want, and always will want, more. I reckon if you want to waste $20k making it as fast as you can (looking at Wolfie here) power to ya. If you want to make it as sexy looking as you can (looking at Geoff here) power to ya. If you want to turn it into an FJR (there are a few culprits) power to ya. We all have fun.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site

That is strange you make that statement yet you have posts on here stating that you are going for an aftermarket exhaust (why try to mod it into something that already exists?) and a K&N filter (why try to mod it into something that already exists?) and a different naked headlight and different windscreen, etc. As you can see, people like to mod their bikes to make them their own because it is fun and nice to customize the bike to suit yourself. Nothing wrong with that at all :BLAA:

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
i voted suspension just because that is the main area yamaha cut major on the FZ in cost... it is entirely too soft unless you are a 160lb. person and i haven't seen that since Jr. High... :D so that is something i have already addressed with racetech suspension...

However i would have chosen air filter/exhaust had it not been for the insane cost math for that 5-10hp (probably not really that much of a gain to the ground...) costing 200$ per hp... ??? this doesnt make sense an air filter is what 50$ and exhaust if you shop right should not be more than 300-400$ (yes for a full set of two cans) unless you are going two bros then that is your personal preference to pay another 400$ and your math would be somewhat closer... I know i have under 400$ invested in my set up for exhaust and air filter... the PC tune is again not needed on our bikes unless your preference dictates a slightly smoother response in throttle...

I still think that these few mods if done smartly can be found for under 500$-600$ for suspension/air filter/exhaust but it is not an R6 and I am in no way attempting to make mine into one... I enjoy the mods I put on my bike because they suit my tastes plain and simple...

I do enjoy taking my bike to the track and throwing it over dragging a knee in the turns and wearing out a set of tires and pucks... But I also enjoy going on a 400 mile ride in a day around town and backroads in my area... or a simple commute into work... and I believe the FZ offers the best package of customizability to suit the needs of many people to be the best all around bike that offers these capabilities...

Will I own other bikes in the future...? Sure I plan on owning many... but I will never get rid of my FZ it is just a sweet versatile machine that is capable of putting a smile on my face no matter where I plan to ride for the day...

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
bhp is nothing more than a bragging right in the pub .torque is where its at so specific and expensive tuning is required..and once you get the power you need to stop. decent breaking setup is expensive, and helping acceleration and breaking and everything in between is the suspension,its the link from your brain to the engine ( see power ) to the road...... aftermarket suspension is expensive.

Fz6 is perfect in oe form (for price) ..the only imperfection is the rider (you had the 36" tv ,now you want the the 50" HD 3D lcd) ..the quest for more power,stopping and handling is increased every weekend ride, when you see the italian exotics the high spec japs or the brutish high dispalcement V-twins....we bought what our wallets would allow and probablby more than our capabillities would allow..i personally deviated from the FZ6 and what ive learnt is that i may be able to accelerate quicker and brake later but any bike ive owned since is not the "complete" package the Fazer was. its not a race ready R6 ..its not a 100mpg scoot .but its an exillerating, economic ,insurable, accomplished mile munching,street,crusing,scratching,head down ass-up,upright budget bike..its whatever you want it to be...unless its not...then its time to trade

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For 600cc it's well tuned. The suspension is a dog. Cheap and harsh. Not really worth it to upgrade though. If you don't like the bike the way it is, it's time to upgrade to a better bike.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
For 600cc it's well tuned. The suspension is a dog. Cheap and harsh. Not really worth it to upgrade though. If you don't like the bike the way it is, it's time to upgrade to a better bike.

Then i guess the ~%80 of us in here who have upgraded/modified our bikes to our liking should havve just vot a fz1?

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

going going.....gone

Reaction score
Visit site
bhp is nothing more than a bragging right in the pub .torque is where its at so specific and expensive tuning is required..and once you get the power you need to stop. decent breaking setup is expensive, and helping acceleration and breaking and everything in between is the suspension,its the link from your brain to the engine ( see power ) to the road...... aftermarket suspension is expensive.

Fz6 is perfect in oe form (for price) ..the only imperfection is the rider (you had the 36" tv ,now you want the the 50" HD 3D lcd) ..the quest for more power,stopping and handling is increased every weekend ride, when you see the italian exotics the high spec japs or the brutish high dispalcement V-twins....we bought what our wallets would allow and probablby more than our capabillities would allow..i personally deviated from the FZ6 and what ive learnt is that i may be able to accelerate quicker and brake later but any bike ive owned since is not the "complete" package the Fazer was. its not a race ready R6 ..its not a 100mpg scoot .but its an exillerating, economic ,insurable, accomplished mile munching,street,crusing,scratching,head down ass-up,upright budget bike..its whatever you want it to be...unless its not...then its time to trade

Very well said. I understand wanting more power so I'm getting an fz1 hopefully and might keep the fz6 too just to play with but who knows somebody may want my bike.

Dan

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.979096,-0.023645

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The ONLY mods I want to do to the FZ6 have nothing to do with extra power, but I want aftermarket pipes because the factory ones are too quiet(!) and a K&N air-filter, just because it's re-usable.

I have lost count of the times some moron pedestrian has almost stepped off the curb, right in front of me, just because they can't hear me! (I, luckily, have a quick-fire horn thumb!)

LOL!

My last bike was a ScorpioZ (for commuting) and the one before that was a TDM900. I tend to go on long rides, so need the versatility of a comfortable riding position, but like the 'chuckability' of the Fizzer.

Cheers,
Rick

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
These engines at already pretty well wrung out from the factory. You aren't going to change much without doing internal work like swapping cams or doing some other head work.

I'm fine with the power this bike has and focus on touring mods for mine along with suspension upgrades for handling purposes.

But this is the great about having YOUR bike. You get to do stuff to It that makes you smile. To hell with what anyone else thinks ;)

Sent from my iPhone

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Preach it brother!!! I'm gonna make a fz boss hog, and smoke all you fools sayin buy a fz1....why because I wanna!!!

Well wanna dream...

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com
Just curious if anybody has reprogrammed there ECU?
I have been looking into ECU programming and it seems a little bit interesting. The local dealer here in Sweden told me that this was better to do instead of powercommander. Program the ECU should give more. The only thing is that this cost about 600$....:(