Noise canceling ear buds OR ear phones???

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Have any of you found a set of ear buds that lessen the wind noise while allow you to listen to music/GPS directions while riding?

For those not familiar with the term "Ear Bud":

phillips-noise-cancelling-earphones-ear-closeup.jpg

Apparently there are quite a few on the market. I would like them for my 1,800 mile trip this year to use when we are on the back-routes for turn by turn GPS directions. If they don't block much wind noise than I'll say forget it...

What have you tried...do they work at speeds under 60 mph? I would stick with ear plugs on the freeways.

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of Shure's - they are noise isolating not noise cancelling. I don't mind them, they remove a lot of the noise and allow me to hear music clearly. They are comfortable and fit deep in the ear to allow for a helmet to be pulled on over top of them.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of Shure's - they are noise isolating not noise cancelling. I don't mind them, they remove a lot of the noise and allow me to hear music clearly. They are comfortable and fit deep in the ear to allow for a helmet to be pulled on over top of them.

+1 on the Shures. Pricey, but worth it. Also have a set of Harmon Kardon's. Really, any silicon type ear insert ones work well, and don't require the volume to be so high that you negate the wind noise cancellation with loud rock music!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Shures. Pricey, but worth it. Also have a set of Harmon Kardon's. Really, any silicon type ear insert ones work well, and don't require the volume to be so high that you negate the wind noise cancellation with loud rock music!

wind noise blocking is all I'm after I could care less about sound quality as I do not listen to music while riding...this is strictly for GPS turn by turn directions so I can enjoy my ride in uncharted territory and not be constantly looking for my next turn. :thumbup:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Have any of you found a set of ear buds that lessen the wind noise while allow you to listen to music/GPS directions while riding?

For those not familiar with the term "Ear Bud":

phillips-noise-cancelling-earphones-ear-closeup.jpg

Apparently there are quite a few on the market. I would like them for my 1,800 mile trip this year to use when we are on the back-routes for turn by turn GPS directions. If they don't block much wind noise than I'll say forget it...

What have you tried...do they work at speeds under 60 mph? I would stick with ear plugs on the freeways.

Here is a good read, im a DJ so we need really good noise supressing head phones that dont block out important sounds like (ambulances, horns etc in our case)

DJ TechTools  |  The Best In-Ear Monitors for DJs

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the soft foam earbuds at home depo, I trim the ends because they usually come big and stick out. Around $12 for a box of like 200, enough for years to come. And with a scala g4 I can hear it clearly even at 80 mph speeds. It's kinda of like being in the car with the windows rolled up.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a compulsive music fan and I hate riding without earplugs. So I looked around and tried a lot of different headphones to find the best sound output and hearing protection at the same time. I used blockade brand buds from home depot before and surprisingly they were good. They have this weird soft plastic tip that has couple layers and it works really good isolating noise. Almost as good as 32Db earplugs. Also the volume adjuster on the cord was perfect for riding. Blockade ($30) has better base output than the 90$ er-6's but its harder to fit for complete isolation..

Etymotic er-6 is what im using currently...I use the soft foam inserts and they fit perfect.. they never slip out putting the helmet on/off and the sound is really clear, but base output is weak compared to a good pair of headphones...When I first took this item out of the package and put it on, my first reaction was to ship them back right away, but I was lazy and decided to give them a chance since so many people love them...and it definitely grew on me..my only problem is the base output for this thing..and I dont mean that it sounds like an old radio or anything...it just doesnt have that satisfying base kick to it..

I dont want to say this is the best thing out there but Its one of the better options under 100$

Last edited:

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
I used the Etymotic er-6i ear buds and really liked them! (Lost them on an airplane:rant:) They really quieted things down and were flush with my ears so they didn't get in the way of the helmet.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Skull Kandies, never ride without them, even if i have no music playing, its just too loud inside my HJC POS helmet.

12$ on ebay, these things have BASS and they're earbuds, they never come lose and never fail for me. I highly recommend them, you've never heard sound like this come from anything this small.

Skull Kandies

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I use JVC marshmellow earbuds. They deform just like ear plug and have a low profile so that the helmet fits. I noticed that the new ones have a shorter cord. I have been using these (well not the same ones) for 3 years now.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the skull candy... they come with multiple inserts so if you put the right one on it, it blocks probably 85% of the wind noise and the bass fixes the rest :rockon: plus they're like 15 bucks at best buy.... i've owned $100 headphones... ended up taking the back and getting skull candy earbuds with my 85 bucks back lol.... Oh another note, if you do get some, DO NOT, get the "Titan" version, got it once, and the sound quality is crap, very tingy, just go with the base model $15 ones. (they also make one i want to say it's the "smokin'" series that has a volume control on the wire)
DO NOT BUY:

thumb_11_buds_titan_blackblack_s2ttdz-033_2.jpg

These are the base model iirc:
11_b_buds_inkd_silverblack_s2indy-045_thumb.jpg

I'd seriously try them, if you end up not liking them, it's what? a 15 dollar loss? if you end up sticking with them, you just saved yourself $50+ dollars :thumbup:

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
Noise cancelling earbuds don't work for wind noise reduction, I tried.

The best noise isolation you can get is from custom silicone earplugs, and they can make them around earbuds too. The recommended earbud to use in this case would be Etymotic E6i (or something like that).

They also won't fall out, ever. In fact, if you don't give the cord enough slack they will lock your head in place when you go to do a shoulder check. I think if you twisted your head hard enough the cord would break before they pop out of your ear.

The custom silicone plug will add about $100 to your buds. There is also a cheap do-it-yourself custom moulding kit available online but it doesn't attenuate any noise, it just locks the buds in your ears. Ear fuze or something, I think they're called.

Last edited: