noise after front sprocket

sleepymas

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my front sprocket down 1 tooth and now i have a pop tick when i roll the wheel with my hand on the center stand. while riding it sounds like a whine. i have loosened the chain way up and it does not go away, so its not that the chain is to tight. you can watch as the chain rolls over the sprocket it lifts and then drops, whcih i think is the noise. i got a 530 sprocket which i thought was the right size. i am wondering if my chain my just have a little stretch to it so its not hitting the new teeth just right. now sure what to do, i may just have to end up buying new sprockets and chain and do from scratch. i only noticed whine because my friend was riding my bike past me. i do not hear it while i am riding. i had read some extra noise is normal due to the solid instead of rubber mounted gear but i am not sure this is acceptable. any adivce is greatly appreciated.

PVFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on the chain, and how is your chain maintenance?

When you go down a tooth on the sprocket the radius gets smaller which means the chain has to bend tighter around the new sprocket, and as the chain gets older it will loose flexibility. This can cause the chain to make noise as it comes in contact with the sprocket.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
How many miles are on the bike? Are you the first owner? Is the chain and the sprockets still OEM?

530 is the OEM chain size, for what it's worth.

sleepymas

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry totally forgot milage my bad. 6600 when i changed, i am not oringinal owner, i have put like 1200 of those miles on it. i lube weekly and take care of like crazy (i am master mechanic). i have a feeling i will be needing a new chain. yeah the sprockets were the original. i thought 6k wasnt to many to just change one sprocket but the owner before did leave outside under a cover so there was some rust on some things that i cleaned off. so i am sure the chain has not been well taken care of. :(

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Same issues happened to mine after changing the front sprocket to Vortex 15t.
That grinding noise is all about the rubber that OEM sprocket has but the aftermarket unfortunately doesn't have.

And i am trying to get used to it these days.
About 15T, i am not sure, it doesn't change anything dramatically.
May be it should be done with a 48t rear sprocket also. I'll try it lately.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any way to get a rubber spacer, or something to that effect, on the aftermarket sprocket? Ive never taken my apart so I dont know if its possible.