Night gear poll

What do you do to increase night visibility

• I don't ride at night

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I wear reflective gear (please post to specify)

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • I have extra lights (please post to specify)

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I do nothing different from daytime riding

Votes: 40 63.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey Guys:

I'm relatively new to the forum. Bought my FZ6 about two months ago.

Anyway, I don't do alot of night driving, but I always suite up, jacket, pants, boots, gloves and helmet when I commute to work, and would wear the same at night.

I live in Orlando, so I have been riding home in the rain in the afternoon alot lately. So I'm glad my riding suit has the rain liners that I carry in my soft gortech luggage set on the back. I'll have to include my clear shield in the mix in the future.

I'm very impressed with the safety consciousness of my fellow FZ'rs:thumbup:

I have a Givi E52 top box that I added an "Ad More Light" LED kit to. This provides very bright running and brake lights at the rear and sides of the bike. It really makes a difference IMO both day and night. I leave the top box on all the time whether I need it or not because I like the extra visibility.

After seeing reiobard's HID headlight last weekend, I'd really like to look into getting that on the front. During the covered bridge tour, Rob was 7 bikes back in our group, but his headlight really made him visible. Even when I couldn't even see his bike because it was so far back in my rear view mirror, I could see his headlight bright and clear. Compaired to the other 6 bikes, he was way more visible. This was again during the day, but at night it has to be even more impressive.

Finally, I was following a sport bike rider a month or so ago that had two very bright green LEDs on his front forks near the axle. These really made him stand out. The unusual color helped make him conspicous.

-John

I don't ride at night if at all possible. Cracked roadways, large potholes, tar snakes and inconsiderate drivers dropping trash on the roads around the Tidewater metropolitan area make it difficult enough in the daytime. I do get caught out some times due to factors outside my control, so my jacket has reflective material built in (yellow and white).

and remembering to pack your clear shield..... damnit! :rant:

I always forget it and my tinted shield is downright dangerous after dark.... So are the bugs. So I end up going between shield up with bugs blinding me to shield down with it blinding me. Back and forth. Not good.

I am trying to design a mount of sorts for my clear shield behind the wind screen. I'll start a thread for it if I'm successful. (Of course, I may be the only with this problem :don'tknow:

What i'm thinking of getting is the new HJC FS-10 Helmet:
silver.jpg

anthracite_side.jpg

It has a system with retractable integrated smoke sunscreen!
I got caught the other day with my smoke screen as well on the highway at night, not fun!!! half blind with it down, or have it up with stuff flying in my face :rolleyes: lose/lose...haha. But if i had the FS-10, its just a click and i'd be set :D

I like many others don't really stray from daytime ride gear. I think the one item I depend on most to be seen is a Vision Reflective Vest. I also notice the older I get the less I like to ride at night. When I was young I didn't much pay attention to the night critters but now they scare the crap out of me.

I don't often ride at night, but when I do, I know for a fact that I don't take enough precaution with my gear. I'm in the market for something little more reflective than my black jacket. Typically while riding on straights, i'll occasionally kick my brake slightly to lightup the brake light, just to increase visibility, even momentarily. Also the high beam stays on, unless im directly behind someone, or passing someone going the opposite way

kindof off/on topic. been riding my bike more with the gas prices. 30 miles back highways going home @ 3 am. running a pair of 55w halodgen running lights wired with 16 gauge, soldered connections and a 40 w relay. found the more power put to them the brighter they will run. also run the center of the road when there are no oncoming vehicles for more reaction time from wildlife, deer, wild boars, bears, etc. and yes i've seen all of them even a bear run across @ 3pm going to work one day in the broad daylight. also break it down @ 55 at night.

Besides reflective clothes, stickers, bright lights on the motorcycle, bringing a flashlight can be useful. I carry a mini mag light with me just in case if something goes wrong, so I can find all the tools, fuses, etc.

Besides reflective clothes, stickers, bright lights on the motorcycle, bringing a flashlight can be useful. I carry a mini mag light with me just in case if something goes wrong, so I can find all the tools, fuses, etc.

Though I've only worn my reflective vest once, I do also have reflective tape on the rear fender and on the rims. I chose black tape because I didn't want a visible stripe during the day. The leftover reflective rim tape was wrapped around the bottom of my helmet and applied to my wife's helmet.

Last edited:
What i'm thinking of getting is the new HJC FS-10 Helmet:
silver.jpg

anthracite_side.jpg

It has a system with retractable integrated smoke sunscreen!
I got caught the other day with my smoke screen as well on the highway at night, not fun!!! half blind with it down, or have it up with stuff flying in my face :rolleyes: lose/lose...haha. But if i had the FS-10, its just a click and i'd be set :D

Nice. I think they make one with the flip up chin guard and the integrated sunscreen. That's my next purchase. (I may be mistaken though about whether this exists or not.)

HAAAAAA i use my blinkers...i know that's terrible. But cars don't see me anyways and i only use them if i'm not hard on the throttle during the day.:don'tknow:

Back