New (to me) bike burning lots of oil!

caelanseth

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike is back at the dealer. They said they will get back to me tomorrow. I wish I had the time to drain the coolant and see how much oil there actually was; when I took the cap off oily coolant spilled right out. Oh well, we will see what they say.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike is back at the dealer. They said they will get back to me tomorrow. I wish I had the time to drain the coolant and see how much oil there actually was; when I took the cap off oily coolant spilled right out. Oh well, we will see what they say.

They better not hand it back to you with just fresh fluids. What did they have to say about the oil?

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
You're not checking the oil with the bike on the kickstand are you? If so then it's not "using" oil, you're over-filling it and that's how it's getting in the coolant.

Last edited:

caelanseth

Reaction score
Visit site
You're not checking the oil with the bike on the kickstand are you? If so then it's not "using" oil, you're over-filling it and that's how it's getting in the coolant.

Haha, I wish that was the case, but no.

BTW I haven't heard much... apparently they have been pretty swamped at the shop and have only been able to do a few diagnostics. They called me on Saturday and said they pressure tested the coolant system and it was leaking. There are closed today, but hopefully I will know more tomorrow.

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like it is becoming "that bike". The one that sits in the corner of the workshop that none of the mechanics want to work on and gets put aside at every chance because they won't make money out if it. The only way to actually get it done is ring or go in every day. They might not like you doing it but from experience it will be the only way to get it done.

caelanseth

Reaction score
Visit site
Got your PM, as well as a few updates. First I want to thank everyone for the insight and help.

As for the bike, the shop sent the head to a machine shop to check for any cracks or imperfections. It came back good, and that there was no apparent signs of damage within the head or valve train, except the head gasket. Unfortunately, this means it is not covered under the warranty, as it does not cover rings or gaskets. The total bill is going to be ~$1000 :)eek:) of which the shop will pay for half, or roughly $500 out of pocket.

They seem to be painfully slow at getting it completed. I probably will not get the back back until sometime in September.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a side note, unless they pulled the oil pan, and pulled the connecting rods and pistons, They PHYSICALLY CANNOT replace the piston rings. If your paying for rings (without a pretty big tear down) your getting ripped..

There's a fair amount of labor there pulling the head, the machine shop work, but gasket wise, keep an eye on that (head gasket, exhaust O-rings, timing chain cover, CCT gasket, not much else I can think of)

Did the head gasket actually fail, did you get a chance to look at it?

Glad its nothing (hopefully) more serious..:thumbup:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you advised them of the problem before the warranty expiry, I would think that would still hold. (it would in Oz)

I'd be speaking to the manager, or your fair trading department (if one exists!).

Cheers,
Rick

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got your PM, as well as a few updates. First I want to thank everyone for the insight and help.

As for the bike, the shop sent the head to a machine shop to check for any cracks or imperfections. It came back good, and that there was no apparent signs of damage within the head or valve train, except the head gasket. Unfortunately, this means it is not covered under the warranty, as it does not cover rings or gaskets. The total bill is going to be ~$1000 :)eek:) of which the shop will pay for half, or roughly $500 out of pocket.

They seem to be painfully slow at getting it completed. I probably will not get the back back until sometime in September.

Thanks for the update, I hope you get the bike back soon.

Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

caelanseth

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the bike back last week. $471 for the gasket. Unfortunently I have had very little time to ride and have only put a few miles on it. This weekend I plan to put a few hundred miles in the saddle, I'll let you all know how that turns out.

Update: I've put about 300 miles on the bike. So far so good, its running great. Again I wanted to thank everyone for their insight and help. This was certainly not how I thought things would go when I bought this bike a few months ago. My wallet is quite a bit lighter, but Im actually more upset with losing most of the riding season. Atleast the bike seems to be running good, no oil loss now that I can tell. Again, thanks for all your guy's help.

Last edited:

caelanseth

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy ****. Fu*k my life. Oil light came on during my ride to work this morning. During lunch I stuck a soap pump into the resevoir and pumped some coolant out to see if there was oil in it. Oh yea, its a deep dark oily blue color. So.... the problem is not fixed. ARGGGGGHH!!!

What could it be?? HG is brand new and the head was magnafluxed for cracks. I was talkin to some guys at work, who suggested it could be oil seeping in through the oil cooler. ****. I guess I will call the shop back tomorrow.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy ****. Fu*k my life. Oil light came on during my ride to work this morning. During lunch I stuck a soap pump into the resevoir and pumped some coolant out to see if there was oil in it. Oh yea, its a deep dark oily blue color. So.... the problem is not fixed. ARGGGGGHH!!!

What could it be?? HG is brand new and the head was magnafluxed for cracks. I was talkin to some guys at work, who suggested it could be oil seeping in through the oil cooler. ****. I guess I will call the shop back tomorrow.

Wow, that sucks....

The oil cooler could leak, but I think it'd be a first here on the forum (I've never heard one break or leak).

Was the head gasket actually blown??? There should have been some visable damage to it...

BTW, I'd be doing some wheeling and dealing for what it cost to NOT FIX IT.

That cooler is easy to change out at least..

Good luck.....

chroline

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
sell the bike already! You'll end up paying to fix it more than it's worth. Try trading it in (not in the same shop) and see how much you get. Don't mention the problems it has.

If that don't work, put it up for sale, just not on this forum.