New Rider, Bike Suggestions Please!

jacobmcfryer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Well, I just recently finished my MSF course and I'm looking for a bike! I read the sticky at the top and was really glad I did! It enforced what I have known all along and made me really realize that I don't need a death trap underneath me just yet. :p
So, I've been riding dirtbikes since six or so (I'm 20 now) and have done lightweight racing. I can ride pretty well on dirt. I know, dirt and street are completely different, which is why I'm wanting to start with a small bike. I just got a job at Apple and I have to commute daily a total of 80ish miles. Highway speeds of 65mph. I have to ride in pretty heavy traffic in Sacramento, but only for maybe 5 miles. Alright, now to the topic. I would love for some suggestions of what you think would be a great starter bike that will get me through traffic and speeds of 65. I've been looking at 250's (rebels,ninjas) which seem like a great place to start. So, let me know what you think!

Thanks in advance!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Based on your riding resume and your needs for the bike, get a FZ6, used of course. You will outgrow the Ninja 250 or Rebel after a few months. As long as you have throttle control, which I assume you do from riding dirt bikes, or something like a SV650 will do.

jacobmcfryer

Reaction score
Visit site
Well that's what I was looking at as of 20 minutes ago before reading the sticky. I really love the FZ6's, hence why I joined the FZ6 forum. Thanks for the input!

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Vegas. If you've been riding dirtbikes for 14 years you'll have a very easy time adapting to the street. Just be careful and you'll be fine. Good luck!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd plan on investing in a touring windscreen to go on it. If it's all highway to work and we assume you're moving at a realistic speed in a 65mph zone, you'll do just over 2 hours a day in the saddle.

With a lack of wind protection, 2 hours a day may get to ya. And I'd invest in a good aftermarket seat soonish after buying the bike. 10 hours a week on the stock seat will wear out your bum after a few weeks. Trust me. :D And don't use his helmets. Crushed EPS is hard to see outside of an X-ray and you don't have to scratch the shell to crush the EPS.

Other than that, sounds good to me. Check it out throughly and try to talk him down some. ;) Not that he's high as it is.

ryan00ss

Reaction score
Visit site
Just started riding a few months ago with barely any dirt experience. Im 20 as well and went with an fz6 as my first bike. Super comfortable and its forgiving enough to be a good starter bike. Just take it slow in the beginning and youll do great. I couldnt be any happier with the bike i picked. Hope this helps

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll agree with everyone above. I started on a Ninja 250 (after being off the bike for nearly 20 years). While I'm glad I started on a smaller lighter bike, I did know right away I could never keep it for very long.. lots of people do, but it just felt like a toy.. especially for 2-up riding (which I do NOT recommend until you get plenty of miles in).
Lots of people start on FZ6 with no experience and most do just fine (sure lots of people drop them, but lots of people drop 250s too).
FZ6... truth be told.. the only reason to ever get rid of it is just to have something new/different. Otherwise, this bike can handle everything. It can be docile (at low rpm); it can be very fast and a little scary until you get really comfortable with street riding (at high rpm); it can be used for touring and track days; it gets pretty good fuel eco and it's perfectly adequate for 2-up.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll agree with everyone above. I started on a Ninja 250 (after being off the bike for nearly 20 years). While I'm glad I started on a smaller lighter bike, I did know right away I could never keep it for very long.. lots of people do, but it just felt like a toy.. especially for 2-up riding (which I do NOT recommend until you get plenty of miles in).
Lots of people start on FZ6 with no experience and most do just fine (sure lots of people drop them, but lots of people drop 250s too).
FZ6... truth be told.. the only reason to ever get rid of it is just to have something new/different. Otherwise, this bike can handle everything. It can be docile (at low rpm); it can be very fast and a little scary until you get really comfortable with street riding (at high rpm); it can be used for touring and track days; it gets pretty good fuel eco and it's perfectly adequate for 2-up.

In other words, it's the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles. It can and does everything! I have over 71,000 miles on mine with zero maintenance issues except the steering head bearings, which everyone experiences.

Fantastic piece of machinery.

C

CoolATIGuy

Like Erci, I started on the Ninja 250 - extremely light bike, and contrary to popular opinion you def. can get on the freeway with it - you may not accelerate as quickly as the bigger bikes, but no problem doing 70+. Both my Ninja 250 and my FZ6 have had centerstands, so that's a plus too.

The FZ6 is a great bike - I picked my '05 up a few months ago. The Craigslist post you mentioned is a pretty good price, although the mileage is high, it's been laid down, and there is no windscreen. However, that's probably exactly what you need as a first street bike - something safe and mechanically sound, inexpensive and with some existing "character".

Hope for the best, plan for the worst; just plan on dropping your first bike, if not at speed, then at least in the driveway. Unless you have plenty of cash, you really don't need to spend $5k, $6k, or more on your first bike.

Be sure to check the frame, mechanics, how bad the plastics damage is, make sure the fuel tank dent isn't major or rusting. Be sure to calculate in if you'll need to do an oil change and/or put tires on it right away.

Have you checked out insurance? At 20 (I assume male) you're still in the nasty price zone - these non-liter bikes help keep that cost down.

Be sure to let us know what you go with!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Also started with a Ninja 250 with limited riding experience way back in the last century :). It was a great bike and the first 6 months my commute was neighborhood roads and city streets with speed limits between 20 and 40. Second 6 months my commute changed to a suburban 6 lane highway with 55 MPH speed limit but with speeds ranging between 0 and 65+. The little Ninja did fine but didn't have the go at the higher speeds but was OK. Took 2 hour road trips several times and it would cruse at 70 or 80 without complaint. By contrast the FZ6 is bigger and heavier but much better at 55 and up. Easy to get out of trouble with.

Major issue with the FZ6 is its ability to go accelerate very quickly once the revs get above 8,000. If you have the self control to keep the revs down until you learn how to ride well on the street then the FZ6 will be a great bike. It is heavier than the Ninja 250 and takes a little more care at low speeds. One very nice aspect to the Ninja 250 is you can ride it hard and have a good time but not destroy the speed limit. The FZ6 will exceed any speed limit around here before it is hardly in 3rd gear. If you watch videos of folks going down on YouTube most don't go down because of speed but rather rider error.

Get the bike you are comfortable with and learn how to ride it well at low speeds and highway speeds. AGAT

C

CoolATIGuy

That's the thing about the 250, you actually have to learn the gears, rather than just cracking the throttle; great for starting out on the streets.

And you can't ride much else short of a bicycle that'll let you go as slow as the 250 and still leave you grinning ear to ear - a bike that weighs barely more than you do is pretty easy to handle. :)

Still, not putting down the FZ6, and I think the OP has already made up his mind. I went with the 600 for the same reason, being in a bigger city with large highways I wanted a little more get-up-and-go power to get out of situations when needed. oh yeah, and it's fun besides. ;)

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 was my first bike after I passed my MSF course. I bought it two days later. Its a great bike. Just don't ride out of your skill level. Happy I didn't buy something smaller because I would be ready for an upgrade by now.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Really hate to plug my own bike on a different forum, but if you don't think you want a 4 cylinder 600 underneath you, you might consider a Versys... 650 parallel twin. doesn't have the "rip your face off" in the top end like you get with the FZ but it goes plenty quick if you need it to.

It's very similar to the FZ actually, Upright, "jack of all trades" bike. just another option. Both are very good bikes and i myself plan on adding the mighty FZ6 to the garage next spring, but i encourage you to check out the Versys (mind you pre 2010 models "take some getting used to" as i like to say, regarding the looks :rolleyes:

I'd try out a bunch of different bikes if possible. One person may love a bike and his friend may hate it. It's all preference in the end. The FZ6 is a great bike and it makes me sad that they discontinued it. But plenty of clean examples out there for good prices!

Good luck to you in search of a bike, it really does set your soul free :thumbup:

jacobmcfryer

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Insurance wise, I have had a few quotes and basic liability is rather cheap. (40ish a month) For a bike, I plan on spending around 4kish, and I've seen really good deals in the 4k range. A few 08's with 10k miles for 4k. The bike I posted earlier was just to see what thoughts you guys had, I actually realized I don't really like it. :p Anyways, I believe a 600 is going to be a smart choice for me as I will be riding in heavy traffic and may need some balls to get me out of trouble. I really don't plan on pinning the bike, but rather taking it easy for the first good 5 months. I really want to get my feet wet with the street and be able to handle really well before hitting the mountains and such. I want to hurry up and get my license so I can ride already!
Also, I have been reading a lot of threads about gear and I plan on wearing helmet, padded jacket, padded riding pants, boots, and gloves. I've been trying to distinguish between what brand and textures, but there's such a freaking big lot to choose from. I'm thinking Kevlar, but maybe leather? For now the temperature in the Sacramento area is around 95 degrees, but with the coming months will drop to the 60's and eventually 50's. So, as for now I don't really have to worry about too much ventilation, although I still want to have that option. So my point finally, any suggestions? (helmet, jacket, etc.)

Sorry for the long post!

* I guess it wasn't as long as I thought it was...

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd get a good helmet (Shoei RF-1100, can't go wrong with that), but make sure it fits well. Don't use other people's helmets because the part that does the job in a crash is the EPS (Expanded Polystyrene). It absorbs the shock of the impact, but doesn't expand to do it again. And compressed or degraded EPS liner can be hard to spot outside of an x-ray machine. If you have to use a used helmet, send it in to the manufacturer for testing before you wear it. 90% of them do it for free, you just pay shipping to and from.

Jackets, I'd go with a good mesh and a good leather one. The mesh should have a rain liner, and the leather would hopefully have a rain/wind liner and a thermal liner. AVG Sport makes some good cheap leather ones (crash tested those!) and any mesh that doesn't fall apart and isn't 100% nylon should be okay. Nylon melts... just saying.

Gloves should be any glove that fits well when wrapped around a bar, breathes well, and doesn't bind up. Knuckle protection is a plus, and if you can find one with the pinky and ring fingers strapped together, that's good too. Leather is best. I have a mid-range Alpinestars set of gloves.

Get 3-season mesh pants for your legs.

Shoes should be sturdy over the ankle type shoes. Preferably ones designed for riding. I have riding shoes and my combat boots.

As far as kevlar, it's okay (actually a good blend is better than leather...), but if you get a cruddy blend it can fall apart on you, or degrade to the point of not being useful in a crash. The guys from motoport.com seem to make top quality stuff. But you can get a custom 2 piece leather suit from spartan leathers for what motoport wants for a kevlar jacket. FWIW.