New Parts Coming!

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
Just ordered myself some Metzeler Sportec M5 tires and all balls racing steering head bearing kit hopefully this improves my ride.
My question is though trying to find new chain and sprockets. I am not a stunter , I commute 6km each way to work but plan to do more touring this summer so I think I should stick with the stock 16-46 tooth combo. I take it this "520" conversion is a smaller lighter chain?

Thanks!

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
520 is a little narrower than 530, and loses some strength and probably longevity from that.

I've got an RK XSOZ1 chain, and Vortex rear sprocket, and some no-name front sprocket. Stock 16t front and I think 45t rear, because Vortex didn't make a 46t and I wanted to drop cruising revs a little. The single tooth in the rear is almost indistinguishable from stock gearing, though it did make the speedo a little more accurate. I really like the gold sideplates on the chain, not so much for looks but because they don't rust up like black oxide does.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I called sprocket center an asked them alot of questions they highly recommended 530 for longevity I was commuting 50 miles each way daily and I'd 23 k miles in 15 months burning through my stock chain 200 for a stock kit they even added a chain lube bottle for calling

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
So I did some inspecting tonight on the bike and noticed that I have 16t front and 46t rear sprockets. The front sprocket shows signs that the chain has been rubbing into the face of it as it is grooved out. I played around with string aligning and the tire didnt seem to be really out of alignment. Bike has 23000km going to track down new sprockets chain and install it when the new tires come in.debating the 15 to 48 sprockets or keep stock.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As much as I love to mod you have tire never its all engineered so their is a reason yamaha has 16-46

Just make sure the negatives to what you do are something you can live with

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Decided to stay with the stock 16-46 tooth sprocket combination and looking at an EK SRO-Z 530-120 chain. I am also thinking about getting one of them motion-pro chain alignment tools for $20 as the string method works but this will make things easier. Any thoughts on this tool?