New guy

Check bikebandit or motorcyclesuperstore, one of them has a sale on tires now.

Thanks man, the Pirelli's seem to get solid reviews.. about to pull the trigger on a set of Diablo Rossas for about $240.

Taking the wheels off will be a great excuse to spend man-time with my bike! I don't like not knowing about the machines I use.

It's NEVER too early to start modding LOL

First thing? Get the BD43 headlight wire - makes both headlights illuminate, as was designed by Yamaha, before the EU Nannies had a problem with it....

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Metzler Z8 or Michelin Pilot Road 3 for tyres - proven great mileage, great road-holding and very reasonable prices.

Just to let you know, I had a similar (but not as good!) good luck story.

About 6 weeks ago, purchased a 2005 FZ6 with 22000kms on it - same sort of thing, the rider only rode it for pleasure on weekends, and only if it was dry.

Always kept under cover so the hoses are fine (and yours has done fewer kms, and also looks to have been in a shed) so I wouldn't be surprised if the hoses are still good (as are mine)

Change the fluids and the tyres, get some DECENT gear and you'll be good to go!

Be aware of the problem some 2005/2006 models had with the headset bearings, might want to change them out with All Balls.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
Just to let you know, I had a similar (but not as good!) good luck story.

About 6 weeks ago, purchased a 2005 FZ6 with 22000kms on it - same sort of thing, the rider only rode it for pleasure on weekends, and only if it was dry.

Always kept under cover so the hoses are fine (and yours has done fewer kms, and also looks to have been in a shed) so I wouldn't be surprised if the hoses are still good (as are mine)

Change the fluids and the tyres, get some DECENT gear and you'll be good to go!

Be aware of the problem some 2005/2006 models had with the headset bearings, might want to change them out with All Balls.

Cheers,
Rick

Thanks for the heads-up! Action feels smooth and without play, but I will keep an eye out for signs of those bearings going out.

As far as the lines, yes the bike has been kept in a garage since day 1 and they look and feel brand new. I'll be keeping a close eye on them as well though.. and probably replace brake lines with stainless steel ones in the near future anyway. I replaced the clutch line on my car with a S.S. one a couple years back and it made a world of difference. For lines that never move, I don't understand why manufacturers don't use stainless steel from the start...

I've finally got all my gear and completed all the maintenance on the bike... so I decided to get my first proper practice session in today! Ridiculously fun, I think I'm in love with this thing!

I've gotten pretty decent at low-speed turning, and counter-steering at higher speeds feels natural and effortless... it's amazing how light this machine feels once you're in motion.

That being said, a few things that caught me off guard and I definitely need to work on:

1) I realized I'm dependent on seeing the flashing indicator light in front of me, and usually having it turn off automatically. A few times I caught myself completely forgetting my turning signal was still on.

2) Didn't realize how much more touchy the bike is while braking, it really loses a lot of stability so I have to remember to be smooth.

3) I'm by far the most uncomfortable turning to the right from a complete stop. I've already gotten in the habit of putting only my left foot down when stopped (probably because my right foot wants to stay on the brake). So the slight lean to the left doesn't make it any easier. For some reason, I also don't feel as comfortable starting in general with both feet on the ground.

Any similar experiences, or words of advice??

Thanks! And here's a pic of my baby after today's romp, just to prove it happened:

Welcome to the forum. Find a big parking lot and practice circles, right and left. Figure 8's both ways are also good. Do some emergency stops to get the feel using front and rear brakes. The fronts do most of the work but be careful not to lock the wheel. Bad things happen very fast. ATGATT.

Thanks, and will do. Do you guys always modulate the clutch at low speed turns? Throttle feels much more jumpy in 1st and 2nd than in a car...

I am not an expert, but i will chime in anyways. for slow speed turns that require extra care (gravel on road or in tight parking lots) i will "feather" or modulate the clutch to help stay smooth, but under normal cucumstances i don't feel the need to do that. if I am taking the turn a little faster, but still very slow, i will take it in 2nd gear and it is a little easier to control throttle.

FRAME SLIDERS

I don't see them on your bike. For the money, best mod you can do.

Everything else seems to have been covered. For sure new rubber, check the brake lines, have a peek at the air filter, wouldn't hurt to replace that too. Being a tall guy, you may want to put a taller windscreen on also.

One nice little thing is lubricating the clutch cable. Makes working the clutch much easier on the arm.

And ATGATT...be safe.

Welcome to the forum, have a ton of fun, that's what it's all about!

Back