New Guy - Just Purchased (VFR leaving) !

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
Well hello everyone. I have been lurking for a few weeks, reading and using the forum to finalize a purchase decision. I have been riding motorcycles for three decades and had been on "cruisers" for the most part; my present bike is an 07 Honda VFR. Prior to that, 4 Harley Davidsons and Hondas before that.

I love the smooth, spirited nature of the VFR, however long for a more upright riding position. I have been riding with a new group of guys (HD buddies can't hang), and I fell in love with the sexy look of the FZ1 / 6, then started doing some research.

The FZ6 is roughly the same HP (98HP v VFR's 108, but almost 100 lbs lighter) as the VFR and god knows I DO NOT NEED MORE! The riding position is FAR MORE COMFORTABLE!!! :thumbup:

I am awaiting a left over 09 FZ6 which is being shipped from the warehouse, it should be here any day. The VFR is being traded in. Got a fair deal so I am stoked!

Here is the old girlfriend (she don't know yet).

-2-1.jpg

I will post a pic of the new girlfriend as soon as she gets here.

In the mean time, since I have only owned Honda and Harley motorcycles, Yamaha will be completely new to me. I know they are rock solid, but I would appreciate any comments about my transition from the VFR to the FZ6.

Thanks guys and gals! See ya around!

:iconbeer:

Last edited:

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to the forum! nice looking vfr! was considering it but eventually decided to go for fz6 cause i heard of the spares parts availability issure here and the coil problem the vfr have.

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome guys! I can hardly sleep, awaiting the arrival of the FZ! I know I have at best, two months of riding before riding time becomes once or twice a month until winter passes.

I do love the sporty ride, and with the combined comfort that the FZ6 offers, I am certain that we will have a long relationship!

:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:rexbaum! Always liked the VFR and was thinking of one not too long ago. You'll love the FZ6! It should be a little quicker in the turns. You'll notice a difference in torque from the V4 to the Inline4 The FZ6 really wakes up at around 8k. You will notice the weight loss. The FZ6 is happy doing just about anything and very reliable. You just can't go wrong with such a great design. You can mod it in just about any direction.
I've never ridden a VFR but have always been interested in Honda's V4s since they came out with the 750 Interceptors.

Lot's of great members on this forum so make yourself at home and enjoy!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Power to weight ratio is roughly the same, as you mentioned, but VFR has a LOT more torque. I've ridden it back to back with my FZ6 and noticed that VFR pulls much harder from down low. It also vibrates a lot less than FZ6. Those are the things I loved about it.
FZ6 is more upright, quite a bit lighter (even lighter in feel than on paper compared to VFR, from my experience) and can easily hang with VFR in straights if RPMs are in the right place (remember that VFR redlines at 11k, I think.. vs 14k for FZ6) and in the turns, FZ6 would be my weapon of choice.
Both are awesome bikes. Enjoy!

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the comparison info. I really look forward to the upright riding option and the sleek, sexy look of this partially naked ride! :Flash:

I am expecting a call this morning on when it should arrive. The sales manager was off yesterday and he is the only person with a sign-on ability with the factory warehouse shipping department. :confused:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: To the best forum around! You will enjoy your FZ6 alot. You might want to swap the handle bars for FZ1 bars right away. The stock bars are bent wrong for my and a lot of others wrists. The FZ1 bars are way more comfortable. You will have to show some pictures when you get her! Enjoy!!!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: welcome to the forum.. post up some pictures of the new beautiful bike when you get a chance :thumbup:

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 08 FZ6 and like it the way it is.
They are a good all around bike and a blast in the mountains.
I have owned two Yamaha s and actually prefer them over Honda s.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: rexbaum, you will love the FZ6

I really look forward to the upright riding option and the sleek, sexy look of this partially naked ride! :Flash:

:

I got a pair of handlebar raisers barback, they made my riding position perfect, between that and the crampbuster, I can ride for miles and miles without any back, neck, shoulder or wrist pain.

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
Great comments. I have read many posts were guys mention vibration around 5K and smooth again at 6k. You want to feel vibration, take a HD Softail (rigid mount motor), for a spin. It can put your arms to sleep!

Once again, I am plagued by the break-in period.......

I absolutely will not accelerate hard or stop suddenly, but I think just a normal spirited ride during break-in will not hurt a bike (or at least that has been my experience). After break-in, I will push the envelope and see how she plays!

:rockon:

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got off the phone with the dealer. The bike will arrive tomorrow in a crate, and be preped and ready to pick up by noon on Friday!

:wav:

The even better news is, I am off Fri-Sat-Sun, and the weather forecast for the St. Louis area is great! :rockon::sinister:

Sorry for being a little over-enthusiastic!

:popcorn:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Rex!
You picked a great bike, and it comes with an even better group of people on its forum!! :thumbup:
There are about 7 of us in the St Louis area, and we have tried to do some group rides, but it's tough with everyone's schedules.
Can't wait to hear how you like your new girlfriend!

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just sold my 1996 VFR750 last weekend.. As mentioned, the power of the V4 engine is available just off of idle, and is very smooth throughout the range. While both my FZ6 and my old VFR were both just a touch under 100hp at the crank, the Honda FELT faster because of the available torque..

The FZ is much more comfortable for longer distance rides, and I managed to find one with full luggage, where I didn't want to screw up the lines on the VFR with hardbags, (that weren't available, anyway)...

Enjoy the little Yami!!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome Rexbaum! :welcome:

Some tips on breaking up with your VFR, it's just like a human breakup. Don't introduce her to your new love. The day before, just take her to a mountain cabin via a long, hard, ballbusting ride, then sneak out and call a taxi. Trust me, that's the best way... :rolleyes: :BLAA:

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Rex!
You picked a great bike, and it comes with an even better group of people on its forum!! :thumbup:
There are about 7 of us in the St Louis area, and we have tried to do some group rides, but it's tough with everyone's schedules.
Can't wait to hear how you like your new girlfriend!

My schedule is not the best either but I am off every other weekend. I love riding with groups! You can count me in! When I am not limited to using my phone to reply, I will send you a message with contact info.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Great comments. I have read many posts were guys mention vibration around 5K and smooth again at 6k. You want to feel vibration, take a HD Softail (rigid mount motor), for a spin. It can put your arms to sleep!

Once again, I am plagued by the break-in period.......

I absolutely will not accelerate hard or stop suddenly, but I think just a normal spirited ride during break-in will not hurt a bike (or at least that has been my experience). After break-in, I will push the envelope and see how she plays!

:rockon:

Concerning post about vibes on the FZ6.
I have had my 08 FZ6 for a few months and I don`t notice any vibes. Maybe earlier models were affected.
The only bike i`ve owned that was smoother was a V-Max. The Max was a smooth, powerful v-four.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey rexbaum, what year was your vfr? I've always loved thosed bikes and was gonna get one before the fz6 but I didn't have the cash for a new one. Never got a chance to ride one yet tho, but it's still on my list for my next bike.

edit: just saw in the first post it's an 07. Looks clean...I so would have traded you for it