New Grill!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Almost....

SO, I bought a house back in November, and after 2 years of not being allowed to grill (apartment complex didn't allow them), I bought a cheap $30 portable gas grill from Wally-world.

With the weather getting nice, and tax return season being relatively good to us, the subject of a new grill came up. The Char-Griller Duo became the subject of my affection, and I'm wondering if anyone here has one, knows someone who has one, or if anyone has any experience with Char-Griller brand grills.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nice... having to separate grills is handy... one for something quick like dogs or burgers, and another for something slow.. like chicken... :thumbup:

this is my summer love, hardly got a chance to use her last year

047362324702.jpg

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
That thing looks pretty sweet, but your local corporate hardware stores usually have some pretty good deals too...HomeDepot, Lowes....

This grill is available at Lowe's (only local place that has it). I stopped by on Saturday, and they have it for $299, $100 less than the web site, which is why I'm thinking really hard about this grill.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ya, i got mine from lowes... the one pictured is actually this years model.. i got mine 3 years ago... 99% same.. slightly diff design...

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This grill is available at Lowe's (only local place that has it). I stopped by on Saturday, and they have it for $299, $100 less than the web site, which is why I'm thinking really hard about this grill.
do it! do it! do it!:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
ya know...just to play devil's advocate...but before spending nearly $300 on a grill, I HAVE to say that my mesquite charcoal only weber grill beats out in flavor cooking with the gas grill. You can get one of those for $30 on craigslist...use charcoal or mesquite (mesquite only for us for flavor). just puttin' it out there....(I have both)

BUT you're right in that it isn't worthwhile for only a hot dog or two or a burger...for parties or for a hunk of meat taking 30 minutes of indirect heat then it's great!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
ya know...just to play devil's advocate...but before spending nearly $300 on a grill, I HAVE to say that my mesquite charcoal only weber grill beats out in flavor cooking with the gas grill. You can get one of those for $30 on craigslist...use charcoal or mesquite (mesquite only for us for flavor). just puttin' it out there....(I have both)

BUT you're right in that it isn't worthwhile for only a hot dog or two or a burger...for parties or for a hunk of meat taking 30 minutes of indirect heat then it's great!

That's exactly it too. The gas side is great for the week nights when I want to burn a few burgers or dogs, and the charcoal/smoker side on the weekends for the low and slow pulled pork/steaks/ribs.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Really it comes down to how much you will use the charcoal side. I personally wouldn't use it that much because maybe two or three times a year do I cook for more than 5 people. But then again I might cook different things if I had a smoker :)

If I were you I would also look into them as seperate units and see if you could save a little money and sacrifice some space. I mean that toaster blender combination looked great until half of it broke down.

Whatever way you go make sure you get a quality cover to protect your investment. Then get some quality tools to cook with :)

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Really it comes down to how much you will use the charcoal side. I personally wouldn't use it that much because maybe two or three times a year do I cook for more than 5 people. But then again I might cook different things if I had a smoker :)

If I were you I would also look into them as seperate units and see if you could save a little money and sacrifice some space. I mean that toaster blender combination looked great until half of it broke down.

Whatever way you go make sure you get a quality cover to protect your investment. Then get some quality tools to cook with :)

This is what Lowe's carries.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...category=Char-Griller&N=4294961356+4294963984

To get the combined setup (albeit slightly smaller than the two separate grills), it'd cost over $300, and require twice the covers.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
rob and I love our Weber....would never get another brind, I don't think

That beign said, this does look like a fine and fancy setup, and it would be nice to have both the gas and charcoal sides... We grill year-round (once a week, or a little less int he winter, three or more a week in the summer) so it's propane for us for convenience, but as others said, if you think youw ould use the charcoal side often enought owarrant having it, go for it.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Almost....

SO, I bought a house back in November, and after 2 years of not being allowed to grill (apartment complex didn't allow them), I bought a cheap $30 portable gas grill from Wally-world.

The seller did not provide a nice grill with you new house?????

The must be grounds for a lawsuit here!!!

We all know the 50% of the reason for getting a house is the grill!! (Then there's 45% for getting space for the bike, and 5% for the rest).

I use charcoal only, - someone once told me that it makes the best steaks :), - but to be honest, on most meat you cant really tell if it was made on propane or coal.

Last edited:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
It also depends on the type of charcoal you use as well.

True, - A friends father used to import his own wood for some obscure parts of Sweden and Poland, - he then had a special oven where he made his own coal in, - and used different "blends" depending on what was going on the grill.
But that's a bit to far outthere for me :)

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
You're making me choose which forum to answer you in... ;)

I have 2 separate units. Granted, you need storage space, patio/deck space, two covers (if you don't store them inside) etc. Plus, you would have both right away if you went with that single unit, ready to go, the ultimate in versatility out-of-the-box. But on the other hand, concerns with an integrated unit would be:

+ With separate units, when one breaks, the other is just fine. The gas grill will go before the charcoal part will, meaning you'll wind up with 2 eventually.

+ Char-griller is a known name for charcoal BBQ, never heard of them doing gas grills...do they have any other than these so you can look at review?

+ They're not much more expensive separately - you can get a char-grill with side box for <$200, and a gas grill with decent specs for about the same

+ Two grills will probably provide more cooking area. I would have to imagine if this is two full-size units on one frame it would make this thing enormous, is each portion smaller than a corresponding stand-alone?

+ You can separate two units. In my case, I only pull out the charcoal one in the summer, for low-n-slow BBQ (e.g. pork butt cooking for 8+ hours). I'm not going to do that during the winter, so into the shed it goes. The gas grill lives in the garage, perfect to pull out in the fall/winter to quickly grill up some burgers and hots during halftime, while having a beer to get over my weekly disappointment with the game (my household is a Buffalo Bills household)

Good luck with your decision, the good news is that you can't really go too wrong either way.