New FZ6 owner, bike is not comfy at all...

vannatta20

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool I did this today and it did help. Thanks!

+1

One of the first things I did to my 08 was to rotate the levers to align with my shoulders such that your hands are neither arched upwards or pitched downwards compared to your forearm (5'10", 32"inseam).

Center stand your bike, loosen the lever pinch bolts and hop on and get in your riding position. Visually draw a line from your shoulders to the top of the bars. Picture this as a straight line and rotate your levers so your wrists are parallel to your forearms while actuating the levers. Your wrists should not be arched upwards or downwards when you grasp the levers! Keep them parallel to your forearm.

The factory lever angle are horrid for people with long torsos. You having risers probably makes this angle even worse!
Also, At this new angle you can apply more force to the Brake Lver! Be Careful!

Reaction score
Visit site
After cutting down my stock windscreen, and finding that it barely removed
any buffeting at all, i removed that piece of garbage. Very nice now!

~Dave

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the stock seat, but I didn't like the bars. Put Rizoma bars on it and put a screen on the bike (I have naked). Wrist/lower back doesn't hurt now and I don't get battered around by the wind.

Problem is, EVERYONE is different.

What works for me might not work for you, and vice versa.

You have to get to know your bike a little better and try to work out what exactly is causing you discomfort.

:)

xr76

Reaction score
Visit site
im 19 as well, im 6'0 and 160 lbs, i took my bike 3 hours today one way to the state capital, rode around, and back, about 400 miles and with the yamaha comfort seat and a puig double bubble windscreen i had little to no problem, i also had a tank bag with a sweatshirt stuffed in so i could rest on that when my back started to get sore or my butt.

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
LoL,

maybe you could stuff a pillow in your tank bag, it would be much more convenient in case you want to take a nap :p

By the way, the fz1 handlebar helps a lot!

vannatta20

Reaction score
Visit site
Removed the stock windscreen. The wind noise is much lower now especially at lower speeds. I really need to figure out what seat to get. Leaning towards a Shad seat or custom made bill mayer. I cant send my stock seat away because I ride my bike everyday though. Heres a pic of the bike
View attachment 36101

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
A new seat is most definately in my plans. Just working on the funds. I know a TS seat cushion will make riding much more comfortable. The bars don't give me any trouble but I think if they were a bit more straight they would be better.

I want to take a nice 2-3 day road trip but I've got to make a few more comfort mods.

ebk02

Reaction score
Visit site
As many have put forth here - riding comfort is so much of personal preference, physical build, riding position.... there are no set answers. I have been riding for 43 years, and found no bike perfect. Most of that time was on old "classics", cruisers, and lately with some sport bikes. However, the fz6 is one of the best all around bikes I have ever owned. The performance and handling is superb without being radical, and has a good measure of comfort. the stock seat isn't all that bad. I did buy a Yamaha "comfort" seat that wasn't, so I think I will re-foam it so it will be what the name implies. I have ordered the 1" riser / bar back, and put on the Puig racing screen - it is about 1 1/2" taller. I can ride for most of a day, and have no more discomfort than I have had on other bikes.
Keep in mind that to go to a cruiser, you will certainly be sacrificing a lot of "fun" to gain a bit of comfort. The fz6 is the best all around combination of everything a bike should be.
Work on "personalizing" the machine to your comfort, and enjoy.