New clutch cable needs constant adjustment??

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my clutch cable after the last one started sticking and wasn't operating smooth at all. However there is a problem.

When I go for a ride sometimes the bike gets a bit hot, usually 208F+ (98C+) the clutch feels like its still slightly engaged, with the clutch lever pulled all the way in. I would have to adjust it so the clutch engages when the lever is a little further out from the bar. Basically when in 1st, at a stop, with the clutch pulled all the way in the bike feels like it is moving forward slightly. Today is the third time it happened, and the third time I had to adjust it. The cable was replaced about 200 miles ago (320KM)..... I did notice that the interval between it needing to be adjusted increases each time. I also have a problem getting the bike into neutral when this occurs. Most of the time it wont even go into neutral. I would push hard on the shifter and then it would skip neutral and go right into 2nd. I checked the oil level when the bike was cold and its good. I also lubed the new cable very well before installing it.

When replacing the cable I noticed that it runs in front of a part of the engine and actually touches the engine at two spots. Now the engine gets pretty hot. can this be the cause?

Or is this normal for a new cable?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly what brand and weight of oil is in the engine?
Not all oils are suitable for the clutch material so you do need to be careful in your selection as it could effect the clutch performance.

Why did the original cable get replaced and how many miles are on the bike?

You might want to lube the pivot on your lever if you have not done so already.

Can you tell us how you adjust it?

From the Owners Manual: page 6-23
It has a picture, 1 is adjuster nut, 2 is lever out all the way showing some free play.

1. Clutch lever free play adjusting bolt
2. Clutch lever free play

==========================
The clutch lever free play should measure 10.0–15.0 mm (0.39–0.59 in) as shown. Periodically check the clutch lever free play and, if necessary, adjust it as follows.
To increase the clutch lever free play, turn the adjusting bolt in direction (a).
To decrease the clutch lever free play, turn the adjusting bolt in direction (b).

NOTE:
If the specified free play cannot be obtained as described above or if the
clutch does not operate correctly, have a Yamaha dealer check the internal
clutch mechanism.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
Yammalube 10w-40. bike has 7140 miles. I replaced the old cable because it was sticking. I tried lubing it multiple times with no success. I adjusted the new cable using the adjuster next to the lever.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also the cable should have an adjustment where the sheath is divided into two sections. This is between the tank and the air box on the left side of the bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you the original owner? Has the bike been abused to your knowledge, specifically the clutch?

If that cable is adjusted all the way out and its still dragging, I'd be looking at the clutch plates. Sounds like they may be warped and getting worse with time. Their easy enough to get to and measure.

That would explain why its hard to get into neutral, the clutch is still partially engaged even thou the cable is adjusted correctly...

Should you need to replace the fiber plates, give them a good soak in oil before installation but the steels are likely warped...

Good luck...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you the original owner? Do you know if the clutch has been abused?

If the cable is adjusted out fully and its still dragging, it sounds as if the clutch plates are warped / sticking. That would explain the difficulty going into neutral as the clutch isn’t fully disengaged..

A check of the steels and fibers is easy enough. I suspect the steels are warped and getting worse with time...

Good luck

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
I also did the mid cable adjustment before installing the cable. The guy i bought the bike from was an older gentlemen. And I'm pretty sure he took very good care of the bike. He gave me all the paper work and dealer brochure in a binder when I bought it.

However I did went out last night and adjusted the lever free play to within specification and while doing that i think I may have figured out what the problem is. With the old cable I had the lever on the # 1 setting so it was at the closest pposition possible to the handle bar. Maybe this is why the clutch wouldn't disengage all the way?? and also I had forgotten to adjust the free play when I installed the new cable... I know :spank::spank: but now with both the cable and lever adjusted I an hoping it will be fine. I have to take the bike for a longer ride to be sure though. If this isn't the case I will change the eoil. BW I was reading the owners manual and noticed it said to use eithe 10w30 or 2040. I have 10w40. could this possibly be the problem?? thanks.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not having enough free play in the cable will cause the clutch to grab/not release by itself. BTW, extending (adjusting longer) the mid adjuster accomplishes the same thing as adjusting at the clutch lever. Its usually not needed on a new cable but later once the cable starts to stretch from old age/use...

If its adjusted to spec's, you should be able to set the adjuster on the #1 position without problem. UPDATE 2:48p*THIS IS INCORRECT, THERE IS NO LEVER ADJUSTER ON THE CLUTCH LEVER, JUST THE FRONT BRAKE LEVER*

If the clutch lever end play is correct you should be good now.

The difference in oil weight shouldn't make a difference. If its very old, and nasty, its not helping things and should be changed anyway...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hope that works for you. The oil wt should be fine but look at the average outdoor temp for your area. Also pay close attention to the oils specifications.

As I recall it said something like no CD or energy conserving II. you want API SG JASO MA. . . . blah blah. Or skip the dino oil and buy synthetic formulated for bikes with wet clutches.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
Not having enough free play in the cable will cause the clutch to grab/not release by itself. BTW, extending (adjusting longer) the mid adjuster accomplishes the same thing as adjusting at the clutch lever. Its usually not needed on a new cable but later once the cable starts to stretch from old age/use...

If its adjusted to spec's, you should be able to set the adjuster on the #1 position without problem.

If the clutch lever end play is correct you should be good now.

The difference in oil weight shouldn't make a difference. If its very old, and nasty, its not helping things and should be changed anyway...

ok. is there a specification for the mid cable adjustment? The manual said 10 to 15 mm for the lever free play. so if I extend the mid cable adjuster the bike should disengage fine with the lever in the 1 position right? just trying to understand everything correct.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In my post, #8, I posted you can set the adjuster to #1. I apologize, I was thinking of the front brake adjuster, my boo. There is no lever adjuster for the stock clutch lever. Do you have an after market clutch lever that's adjustable (ASV, etc)?

You just want, with everything installed, 10mm-15mm of free play in the clutch lever measured at the end of the clutch lever. It really doesn't matter where you take the play up at.

I found, after approx 4,000 miles, my cable stretched enough that the top perch adjuster was almost all the way out. At that point, I put the top adjuster back in about the center and adjusted the mid point adjuster out to take up the slack.. I like to have my upper clutch perch maybe half way out and the mid adjuster taking up the rest of the play... **For me, this is so I can remove the top end of the cable easily for basic maintainance (pressure lubing the cable from the upper end).

Make sense?

Last edited:

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I have the ebay levers. (pazzo knockoffs) both brake and clutch. The brake fine. when i first installed them it was on 1. Then replaced the clutch cable and forgot to adjust the lever free play and lever position. last night i adjusted the free play and I just set the lever to the number 2 setting. everything seems fine. for now.
I know exactly what you mean about the cable maintenance. I must have lubed my old cable about 4 times in one month before changing it. BTW.Thats a beautiful FJR.

SO EVERYONE IF U CHANGE YOUR CLUTCH CABLE, REMEMBER TO ADJUST THE FREE PLAY OR THE CABLE AND ALSO REMEMBER TO ADJUST THE LEVER POSITION IF YOU HAVE AFTERMARKET LEVERS.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent!

BTW, someone bought a knock off aftermarket front brake lever not too long ago.

He found his front brake locking up on its own. Seems the machining of the lever was not quite right, the lever was NOT RELEASING FULLY thus building up pressure and not releasing it.

Obviously, EXTREMLY DANGEROUS, knock on wood, he was able to stop bike safely and eventually find the problem.. Just something to be aware of...