New chain time

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have 27,000 miles on my chain. Got a couple of tight links it's time for a fresh chain.

My local guy want's $130 for a DID O Ring chain. Sounds fair to me total job will be around $160 to $170 Roys Cycle Service in Newhall Cal.

This is just for the chain. Normally I change out the chain and sprockets on my dirt bikes myself but on my street ride I rather have a pro do it. The sprockets look almost new I mean very little wear at all and were talking the stock stuff here. I'd never run anything other then steel sprockets.

So my plan is another stock chain on stock sprockets and go for 50,000 miles.

What did you guys do when it was time to replace your chain?

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like my plan. I often wonder if an automatic oiler would make enough difference to justify. Seems that it might possibly extend chain life greatly depending on how/where the bike is used...

I seem to recall other members posting upwards of 40,000M chain life in other posts, but that sounds exceptional. I'll never make that with the dirt and grit on my drive.

Not a big fan of multi-fit-splice-together replacement chains with master links either, so if I have an option when the time comes, I will avoid... The less to go wrong, the better IMHO.

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
Just re-read your post - hope you're planing to replace the sprockets too. Any sprocket wear greatly reduces the number of chain links in contact with sprocket teeth when a new chain is installed. Transmitting power that way - not good. I'm betting there is more wear than quickly meets the eye... Worn as a set, replaced as a set, if thats what you're asking...

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
What he said ^

You may have gotten 27k out of this set, but only replacing 1/3 of the set will greatly reduce the mileage you get out of the new part.

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site