New chain problem

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Folks,
Installed new chain and sprockets today. 3 things happened during the install:

#1 - When removing locknuts from rear sprocket 5 nuts came off and 1 nut came off with a stud is this normal? When I went to torque the new sprocket on 5 of the 6 nuts torqued and the last one would tighten but I could not torque it fully so im wondering if i stripped the aluminum threads?

#2 - When i put the rear tire on after installing sprocket to mock it up and spin it , i noticed the sprocket moved side to side a tiny bit and did not spin "true" when i grabbed the sprocket and checked it for movement it had no play , it would just not spin completely "true"

#3 - When i installed new chain , aligned tire , and set chain tension i went to spin the wheel to check everything and noticed there is a tight spot in the chain and it seems to stem from the sprocket. Nothing is "binding" there is just a tight spot and it is not near where i installed my master link (rivet type).

I havn't had much time to check it over and look at it closer as I had to leave for work , but Im just wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions as to what to check.

Cheers!

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, first off it sounds like you stripped one of your sprocket bolts. That is not good. Did you tighten the sprocket bolts in a star pattern? I think all of your problems are stemming from the sprocket studs.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Folks,
Installed new chain and sprockets today. 3 things happened during the install:

#1 - When removing locknuts from rear sprocket 5 nuts came off and 1 nut came off with a stud is this normal? When I went to torque the new sprocket on 5 of the 6 nuts torqued and the last one would tighten but I could not torque it fully so im wondering if i stripped the aluminum threads?

#2 - When i put the rear tire on after installing sprocket to mock it up and spin it , i noticed the sprocket moved side to side a tiny bit and did not spin "true" when i grabbed the sprocket and checked it for movement it had no play , it would just not spin completely "true"

#3 - When i installed new chain , aligned tire , and set chain tension i went to spin the wheel to check everything and noticed there is a tight spot in the chain and it seems to stem from the sprocket. Nothing is "binding" there is just a tight spot and it is not near where i installed my master link (rivet type).

I havn't had much time to check it over and look at it closer as I had to leave for work , but Im just wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions as to what to check.

Cheers!
Hi,

#1 sounds like you may have stripped a thread. Is it the nut with the stud stuck on it?
Does it tighten and then go slack? If so the tread is stripped. Others more mechanically minded than I will tell you an effective fix.

#2 Is the sprocket seated nicely in the cush drive? Mine has a slight off centre spin but no nasty grinding noises or funny looking wear patterns on the chain rollers or sprocket teeth. Have you over tensioned the chain? There should be about 2" of slack in the chain. The FZ6 likes it slightly on the loose side.

#3 It's a brand new chain any chain will have a slight tight spot but shouldn't bind. With the rear wheel off can you smoothly move all of the links of the chain through a complete 180 pivot? or do they require force to do so. If it's binding I would return it. But again this may also be enhanced by an over tight chain.

Have a look at the links after riding the bike. Are there any odd wear patterns. Final impact (Randy) posted a good picture of uneven wear.
Let us know how you get on.

Neil

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I tightned the nuts in a star pattern. I have not rode the bike yet as the chain gets super tight when it gets to that point so I don't want to drive it until I get smooth movement with correct tension. I had the rear wheel off last week to have new tires installed and never had this problem when I installed it with the old chain and sprockets. I believe all the links have free movement.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tightned the nuts in a star pattern. I have not rode the bike yet as the chain gets super tight when it gets to that point so I don't want to drive it until I get smooth movement with correct tension. I had the rear wheel off last week to have new tires installed and never had this problem when I installed it with the old chain and sprockets. I believe all the links have free movement.
It sounds like the chain is to tight, can you slacken it off to the required 2" free play?

Neil

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I can try getting 2" free play at that tight spot , and if i get the tension right where it is tight and then check the wheel again and it doesnt tighten up i guess im golden , but if I loosen the chain at that spot to get my tension and then it gets super loose when i spin tire i guess i have another problem on my hands. Its that rear hub that has me concerned.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, first adjust the tension at the tightest point to 2". However, a brand new chain and sprockets should have VERY LITTLE tension variation across its length. This is why I think you have a problem with your rear sprocket. Could very well be the hub bearing. When I replaced my chain and sprockets, the rear wheel turned smooth as butter and made almost no noise.

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
It turned smooth with the old sprocket on there too , just with the new one installed I got this problem. Might have to go buy a tap set and rethread that hole in the cush drive and torque everything propper if the tension adjustment doesnt work.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
If it is in fact stripped, find the next biggest tap and retap the hole (make sure it's perpendicular) and find a bolt to fit said hole. Sprocket may need to be drilled to let the bigger bolt fit correctly

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Wondering if when i installed my master link if I put that too tight if it would cause this problem? However when i installed it i kept checking the masterlink and it moves freely no binding , and when the chain gets tight the master link i installed is in the middle of the swingarm.

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok what ive discovered is that the chain goes tight when the rear sprocket is in 1 location because the teeth of sprocket contact the roller surface on the chain instead of meshing. Any thoughts on what could cause this?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok what ive discovered is that the chain goes tight when the rear sprocket is in 1 location because the teeth of sprocket contact the roller surface on the chain instead of meshing. Any thoughts on what could cause this?
OK that identifies the problem your sprocket is well out of alignment. I would remove the sprocket and check that all the cush drive is seating correctly and the check all the mating surfaces. You didn't have this problem prior to the install so it points to a installation issue.
Losing a bolt from the rear shouldn't affect the alignment.
Is the sprocket on the right way round?

Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you please keep this particlular issue on ONE THREAD

( http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/49221-chain-clicking.html )

Its a bit harder trying to follow the progress (or not) and folks repeating what's been done, what potential remedies have already been done, etc...

Thanks..:thumbup:

BTW, on POST #10, of the original thread, I posted that Yamaha does sell the individual studs and nuts (not shown on a parts fisch) per an R6 forum... And don't torque them beyond 35-40 ft lbs in a criss cross pattern. If that sprocket is wobbling (once tightened down completely) , that hub bearing is bad.

Last edited:

Kenfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
The torque stated in the manual is way too much for the chain sprocket studs. Good and snug is what I look for, they have locking nuts on them.

If the stud is stripped, I have found Toyota exhaust manifold studs in the automotive department self help section are almost an exact fit. Just a little long. I had to shorten them a little to clear the swingarm. It will get you by until a replacement is in.

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys so last night for a few hours i played around with the alignment of the chain and for the life of me cannot get this thing running true. I am taking the hub in to a shop this morning to seeif soneone can do me a favor and get the stripped nut off for me and the. I will start fresh. Was going to try putting the old aprocket on and see if there is a difference. Boggles my mind how it is only on 1 sectionof the sprocket

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
So i got it fixed!

Went to yamaha and bought a new stud and replaced that so i could eliminate 1 problem.

When i got home i put the hub on the axle mocked it up on the bike and noticed that the chain would not seat fully on that NEW rear sprocket.

I then put the old sprocket on the hub and mocked it up and bingo everything meshed and flowed nice with no binding or tight spots.

I am now using the old rear sprocket. Yes i know u should replace in 3s but i have A cMping trip this weekend and i think i am going to just order a oem rear sprocket from yamaha.

What are the chances of a new sprocket not working? The packaging says it fits my bike with the sprocket up front and chain i have but when i wrapped the chain around it would bind at the 1 location.

Thanks for all your help guys!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So i got it fixed!

Went to yamaha and bought a new stud and replaced that so i could eliminate 1 problem.

When i got home i put the hub on the axle mocked it up on the bike and noticed that the chain would not seat fully on that NEW rear sprocket.

I then put the old sprocket on the hub and mocked it up and bingo everything meshed and flowed nice with no binding or tight spots.

I am now using the old rear sprocket. Yes i know u should replace in 3s but i have A cMping trip this weekend and i think i am going to just order a oem rear sprocket from yamaha.

What are the chances of a new sprocket not working? The packaging says it fits my bike with the sprocket up front and chain i have but when i wrapped the chain around it would bind at the 1 location.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Was the new rear sprocket a chinese knock off?

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
It is a Vortex brand. I ordered a vortex front and a vortex rear. Funny how the new one would not mesh up. Time to send it back!

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
not an expert, but if you stripped one nut and then tried torquing rear sprocket to spec you may have accidentally warped the rear sprocket (because in effect you weren't tightening in a star pattern), which would neatly explain everything.

also my sympathies for your rear torquing woes, it's simply amazing that that torque spec has made it into the manual - it's way above the mark.

best of luck, at least you got a brand name sprocket, which should increase your chances of a replacement. :)