New Chain and Sprockets

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Peter Stevens at Ringwood put on a new chain and sprockets for me yesterday @ $485. Bike has done 48,000 on the OEM gear not bad.
The Dunlops have just done 3,000km and appear fine. At $150 cheaper than the Michelin PR2's Im happy at present. Bring on the cool and wet weather, Im ready.
Rumps

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just paid $140.00 for a DID VX 530 chain (superior to a regular o-ring chain), $30 for a new OEM Yamaha front sprocket and nut, ($60 for an OEM rear sprocket).

Another $100 for a DID masterlink rivet tool (another tool for the tool box!!)...

If the prices are similar to the US, $250 in labor seems kinda steep for 1-2 hours labor, IMHO..

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just paid $140.00 for a DID VX 530 chain, $30 for a new front sprocket and nut, ($60 for an OEM rear sprocket).

Another $100 for a DID masterlink rivet tool...

If the prices are similar to the US, $250 in labor seems kinda steep for 1/2 hour labor IMHO..

I'm looking at the Supersprox 520 conversion kit, x-ring chain, and front and rear sprockets (rear has alloy hub with steel teeth)

Then, if I buy a split link to join, for $4, the whole change will cost me less than $265 or so (with shipping)

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at the Supersprox 520 conversion kit, x-ring chain, and front and rear sprockets (rear has alloy hub with steel teeth)

Then, if I buy a split link to join, for $4, the whole change will cost me less than $265 or so (with shipping)

Cheers,
Rick

From what I've researched, the DID 520 is plenty strong enough for the FZ6 but its working life is less than the 530, just something to think about. IMHO, I'd stick with a name brand chain.

The chain should come with a masterlink of some sort. :)

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've researched, the DID 520 is plenty strong enough for the FZ6 but its working life is less than the 530, just something to think about. IMHO, I'd stick with a name brand chain.

The chain should come with a masterlink of some sort. :)

Yeah - I expect the 520 will last less - but I'm over 30000kms on the stock 530 now, and if the 520 lasts 2/3rds as long, then I'm still talking 20000kms+ which is acceptable.

And I'm not too sure if they include a split link, you'd expect so, but even if they don't, I'll still buy a spare.

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortuanatly, the original owner of my bike (a friend of mine's, son) NEVER cleaned/lubed the chain in the first 4,500 miles of its life (until I got it).

Its got 12,000 miles on the clock now and the chain/sprockets were showing a bit of wear and needed replacement...

Got a real good deal on the bike 3 years ago ($2K-needed a bunch of parts from a laydown) but I'm paying for it now....

Should be good for awhile now, as the chain doesn't see more than 200 miles without a lube... :)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought it was too expensive, but Mike broke it down for me:

$200 for chain
$80 for sprockets
2 hours labour - that's probably what they would charge.
$480

Not saying it's right, but that's the sort of price stealerships would charge. :(

That's why most people, if they can, try to do to it themselves (or their husband takes care of it :D)

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure thats fitted:(Workshop rates are killer these days:eek:

Yep! And yet another reason to just do it yourself! My last set of chain and sprockets, cost me just over $220...X ring DID chain, Renthal rear sprocket, Sunstar front sprocket(OEM).

All bought online for big saving over local retail.

:thumbup:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure thats fitted:(Workshop rates are killer these days:eek:

Sorry I didn't specify, but I gathered that was including workshop rates - and it STILL seems far too expensive.

$230 for chain/sprockets, an hour labour @ $80 etc.

Cheers,
Rick

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I didn't specify, but I gathered that was including workshop rates - and it STILL seems far too expensive.

$230 for chain/sprockets, an hour labour @ $80 etc.

Cheers,
Rick

yup, like i said, looks like someone's been taken for a ride....would only take 30 minutes max to do in a shop, with the right tools on hand!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They may take 30 minutes, but, it's a stealership. They aren't going to charge only 30 minutes.

Typical!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They may take 30 minutes, but, it's a stealership. They aren't going to charge only 30 minutes.

Typical!

You gotta remember the trips to the water fountain and associated trips to the urinal that are apparently billable.

I've often thought of putting a discreet camera on my bike/car and when I get the bill, showing them the footage where they only spent 30mins of the 4hrs they charged!

It's one of the reasons I prefer to do it myself - and the fact that if I do it myself, I know one hundred percent that it was done right....

Cheers,
Rick

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Typical!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Yet more reason to avoid paying for labour where you can! I got raped on labour when they rebuilt the TRX motor...but i was stuck in a position, where i could only do so much of it in my shed...

Labour cost was over half the bill for engine re-build, and at least one of the labour amounts was a bit questionable...6 hours to take the motor out....um it took Mikey and me 3 hours to pull the whole bike apart!

:eek:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i just fitted a new chain to my bike yesterday, it's not that hard, but a bit fiddly

£20 for a dremel type tool
£30 for a chain splitter/riveter
£120 for a new chain and sprockets

always use the rivet type links, i've heard many many stories of split links coming off