new bikes?

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i had the race on in the background while i was working on the computer. i don't keep up with this stuff like some of you so i need some help. they said something about some "new technology" and/or "new bikes" that some, but not all, of the riders were riding. did i miss-hear? if there's new stuff, what's it all about?

Yep, no more 125cc bikes. We now have:

Moto3 - 4 stroke, 250cc class
Moto2 - 4 stroke, 600cc class
MotoGP - 4 stroke 1000cc class

Also, MotoGP has CRT bikes (Claiming Rule Teams). That's why there was such a big field. Created to make MotoGP more affordable for smaller teams. They are given a dozen engines a year (MotoGP factory teams only get 6). They carry more fuel (24 litres not 21 litres) and the teams buy or "claim" the engines with the transmission. They may have a Yamaha frame but Aprillia engine/transmission.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong......

Last edited:
Yep, no more 125cc bikes. We now have:

Moto3 - 4 stroke, 250cc class
Moto2 - 4 stroke, 600cc class
MotoGP - 4 stroke 1000cc class

Also, MotoGP has CRT bikes (Claiming Rule Teams). That's why there was such a big field. Created to make MotoGP more affordable for smaller teams. They are given a dozen engines a year (MotoGP factory teams only get 6). They carry more fuel (24 litres not 21 litres) and the teams buy or "claim" the engines with the transmission. They may have a Yamaha frame but Aprillia engine/transmission.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong......

That's a pretty decent summation Kazza! The Moto 3 bikes sound awful! And the CRT bikes do not convince me that they belong in MOTO GP!

:thumbup:

Well done Kaz , couldnt of said it better & simpler myself :thumbup:

I dont know if Moto3 sounds crap or if it just because we all REALLY miss the 2 stroke scream which has gone hand in hand with bike racing for ever :thumbup: I know I really miss the 2 strokes :(

CRT , well they are just a disgrace :spank: How long before one gets lapped do you reckon ??? :eek:

i think they will tweak it slightly to give the CRT teams a better chance, but i think even then it will be difficult to have a "fair" playing field, because at some point they will catch up. Bear in mind they are only lapping 1-2seconds behinds the motogp bikes, and cost a lot less.

There was a good article in "Performance Bikes" this month, the CRT bikes still cost £1-2m to run. For example the carbon brake discs cost £8k, per rotor, and they will need several sets.

Still i think they need to do something to encourage manufacturers to develop, evolve and improve, hopefully they won't mess it up like F1

They need to make Moto3 bikes sound like and MX2 motocross bike.

Anyway, id just love all classes of Gp go back to being strokers :D

Back