New 2007 FZ6 Got problems!!

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
hello everyone

Just like to say you've got a great forum here with excellent resources!!

I've got the technical manual downloaded and when i get home tonight i'n goona see what i can find out via the diagnostic mode but i was wondering if any of you could shed some light point me in a direction if this is something common.

Got my new (2007) FZ6 yesterday and was taking out of a short drive, everything was fine, life was good, following as best i could engine break-in procedures. Then as i stop at a friends house to so his the bike, it's idleing for about 1 minute, as i leave his place the check engine light starts comming on intermitantly (like on for a flash sometimes, others for a second) with an acompaning loss of power. When i pull up to a stop if it happens when the bike is at idle, it will cause the bike to stall. Started at 8 miles on the bike, again going to check cables, wires and diagnotics when i get home. just wondering if there are any pearls of wisdom to be had out there.

Thanks again guys

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
if it is a new (zero miles) 2007 it may have sat on the showroom floor long enough that the battery drained itself. Bring it back to the dealership where you bought it and they should do a load test and if it checks out give you a new battery. good luck

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
i checked the battery, it was built for me and was never on the showroom floor - and besides the thing starts just fine
also i agree with just taking it back to the dealer, but it's a 3 hour drive away and if it was just a loose connecto or something i'd rather save the 6 hour trip, well a 6 hour trip would be nice, if it was on my bike!!:thumbup:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
i checked the battery, it was built for me and was never on the showroom floor - and besides the thing starts just fine
also i agree with just taking it back to the dealer, but it's a 3 hour drive away and if it was just a loose connecto or something i'd rather save the 6 hour trip, well a 6 hour trip would be nice, if it was on my bike!!:thumbup:

Where did you buy it? Why don't you call them, maybe they can give some advice over the phone?

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site

if you think you can tackle this by yourself, than mor epower to ya. I am by no means a motorcycle mechanic but with any electrical problems i have always been told to start by checking your grounds. then general (basic)connections
good luck

MrTurner

Reaction score
Visit site
I know it sounds stupid but.. Have you checked the user manual? There could be something obvious in there. It could be all manner of things, but if it's not found, the dealer should arrange to sort something under warranty.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to the site , congratulations on your new ride,,,which dealership is this?
since it is a long distance for you,,i would check the battery connections and run the diagnostics ,,also contact the dealership via phone to tell em what happened,,,dont you have a closer dealership to you? since it is under warranty ,all of them should be taking care of a problem like this free of charge....

gomd3

Reaction score
Visit site
that sounds normal, you should be getting an error code under the speedometer, where normally the trip meter or odometer is located. let us know what this number is and maybe it'll point to the defective component.

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
funny thing is it's not giving me an error code, not at least during "normal" running, gonna throw it into diag mode tonight when i get off work, the code should be stored there. i just found out today how to do that today

Beknatok

Reaction score
Visit site
funny thing is it's not giving me an error code, not at least during "normal" running, gonna throw it into diag mode tonight when i get off work, the code should be stored there. i just found out today how to do that today

Go dig for my thread regarding electrical problems. I've had an almost identical experience, though the dealership hasn't been much help. At this point, get a multi-meter and a battery charger, charge it up, and see if it'll hold over time with the multi-meter.

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
So i got around to doing the diagnostic this morning. Got fault code number 34 - Malfunction detected in the primary wire of the ignition coil (#2 and #3)
Technical manual states
-Open or short circuit in wire harness
-malfunction of ignition coil
-malfuction in ECU
-malfunction in a component of ignition cut-off circuit system

my bet is on either of the first 2

let you know how it develops

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
90% of initial problems are electrical. You can check my pocket if you want.

Actually, I just jammed my own hands down there and found:

Firing Incorrect / Ignition Control Unit or ECM defective.

Last edited:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
90% of initial problems are electrical. You can check my pocket if you want.

Actually, I just jammed my own hands down there and found:

Firing Incorrect / Ignition Control Unit or ECM defective.

How on earth have you determined that? Where did you get those stats, other than off the top of you head? Again, you're a very odd person... it's like you're writing in haiku all the time...

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
hello again and thanks to everyone for the interest

So i did the resistance test on the ignition coil this morning - 22 ohms way out of spec ( spec is something around 1 to 2 ohms ) so the coil is shot.
Phoned to the dealer afterwards and they said they will ship me a new one, excellent - no big drive. The catch? they dont have one in stock and im going to have to wait for 3 to 5 days before they get it plus shipping to my door. life i guess, gives me time to put a good shine and polish on the bike at least :Sport:

thanks again for the resource guys, would have been a major pain without it
mathieu

cbjb

Reaction score
Visit site
pretty close to the same thing happened to me my first ride out last wknd.
ON MY NEW BIKE TOO, and as best as I can tell, it overheated and I could not get it out of neutral without killing it. I think for me, it was because I was riding slowly and starting and stopping alot and then when I stopped for 5 minutes with the motor off it did'nt get a chance to cool down enough. Once it cooled down it was no problem. I too am hoping this is a breaking in "thing"
and nothing else. As long as I was traveling or moving it was never a problem.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I think for me, it was because I was riding slowly and starting and stopping alot and then when I stopped for 5 minutes with the motor off it did'nt get a chance to cool down enough. Once it cooled down it was no problem. I too am hoping this is a breaking in "thing"
and nothing else. As long as I was traveling or moving it was never a problem.

The FZ6 is a LIQUID COOLED motor...there for it shouldn't matter how long you have it 'stopped' with the motor running, it should'nt over heat...unless your riding in extreme heat!

Stopping for 5 min with the motor off (or on) should in no way cause your bike to over heat. The FZ6 shouldn't require any 'cool down' time. If you engine is overheating after 5 min of not moving, then something is wrong with your cooling system and should be checked (bad thermostat, low coolant level).

Last edited: