New 04 fz6 owner here..

03cobrah

Reaction score
Visit site
yay first post, sorry it has to be a ****ty one though, the first day i bought my bike off a buddy of mine.

the first night it sat in the parking lot, it was kicked over by some random drunk chick, don't worry they caught her and am still waiting for her to make payments (waiting on police report).

i have a few questions since i'm new to the bike scene and i just want to ride!!! my handle bars are jacked up and my brake lights don't work anymore but the lights work and it seems to turn on just fine. i'm basically looking for aftermarket parts since, i'm assuming will be cheaper than oem. here's some pics of the damage. oh yes i'm also in need of the right side mirror.

THIS IS WHERE SHE KICKED IT.

SAM_0116.jpg

THE AFTERMATH
SAM_0115.jpg

SAM_0118.jpg

SAM_0114.jpg

SAM_0119.jpg

SAM_0120.jpg

as you can see the handlebars took the majority of the fall when it got kicked over.... i'd appreciate some guidance as to what mods to get so i can get her up again and start riding!

Last edited:

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum, and I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience early on with your bike. If I were you, I'd take this opportunity to evaluate what kind of riding you do and therefore what type of handlebars you want to replace the OEM handlebars.

Are you going to be doing some touring? If so, you might want to get the OEM bars and get some risers for a more comfortable position.

Are you going to be doing track days/aggressive street riding? For that, you might want to look into clipons/suburban machinery handlebars.

Do you want to have a slightly leaned over position, but have the handlebars straighter to relax your wrists more? Look into getting the FZ1 handlebars.

There are also plenty of other options for handlebars that I didn't mention. LSL, drag bars, Rizoma, etc. Handlebars are usually pretty inexpensive and there are a plethora of options out there. Do some searching and you'll find PLENTY of opinions on handlebars. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/33201-aftermarket-handlebars.html

As for mirrors, I would either get an OEM mirror to replace yours, or just look into getting bar end mirrors to replace your stockers. If you do end up going with the bar end mirrors, you can get block off plates to cover up the hole where your stock mirrors mount.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
May I suggest some frame sliders? It wouldn't save the tank where that dumb biatch kicked it, but would definitely have saved the handlebars and more. I've recently reviewed OES extended sliders in "I think I found the PERFECT frame sliders". IMO extended sliders do a better job in tip over and no/low speed falls, which I believe is more common than the other types. Besides, if I would have crash at speed, the damages would be too much, frame sliders or not. In that case, I'll just let my insurance deal with that.

03cobrah

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude that sux! I have a pair of OEM bars that I took off and replaced with FZ1 bars. If you want them....they're yours (if you pay shipping). They're used but don't have any damage. Let me know.

thanks for the nice gesture, i'll gladly take them off your hands. do you have a paypal account?

03cobrah

Reaction score
Visit site
May I suggest some frame sliders? It wouldn't save the tank where that dumb biatch kicked it, but would definitely have saved the handlebars and more. I've recently reviewed OES extended sliders in "I think I found the PERFECT frame sliders". IMO extended sliders do a better job in tip over and no/low speed falls, which I believe is more common than the other types. Besides, if I would have crash at speed, the damages would be too much, frame sliders or not. In that case, I'll just let my insurance deal with that.

thanks for the suggestion, i have been looking into frame sliders actually, and if i have any money left over (doubt it) i'd buy that scorpio alarm system too

:
Are you going to be doing some touring? If so, you might want to get the OEM bars and get some risers for a more comfortable position.

Do you want to have a slightly leaned over position, but have the handlebars straighter to relax your wrists more? Look into getting the FZ1 handlebars.

thanks i'll be doing some touring, i don't think i should be doing anything aggressive yet at my experience level, i'll save that for my car for now. i like the idea of the FZ1 handlebars though, thanks a lot.

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude that sux! I have a pair of OEM bars that I took off and replaced with FZ1 bars. If you want them....they're yours (if you pay shipping). They're used but don't have any damage. Let me know.
Gestures like that are why I love this forum! :thumbup: