Need some tire help, do I change both?

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Well a friend had a rear tire blowout at 100km/h this weekend so I decided to go check out my Shinko 005's. The rear is DEFINITELY ready to be replaced but the front looks pretty decent. Im a little embarassed by my 2inch chicken strips still on the sides :spank:

Do I need to change both right now? Im going to buy a set of tires simply to save the couple bucks, but should I worry about changing the front right away too if im going with the same tire? Why do they wear at such extreme different rates?

Im considering moving up to the Shinko 009 line simpoly to get a little more mileage based on the fact that obviously I dont ride as hard as I do in my mind!
thanks guys

Last edited:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how people could have large chicken strips! I've got two about 4mm wide... And want smaller ones :) I don't know which tyre to recommend, but it it is usually a good idea to replace both at the same time.

ebk02

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say that you obviously do quite a bit of high way riding. I would look into dual compound tires. As to the front tire not having much wear, you may not be utilizing the front brake as much as you could. My tires wear nearly even, but I do get more wear from the front, as the acceleration will wear the center of the rear quicker.
Gauge whether you feel the need to replace the front by tread depth, and how / where you ride. I change the tires with about 33% left as I ride in mountains, and a blowout could kill me.....

S

Shamus McFeeley

I would recommend either the Michelin Pilot Road 2 CT or the new 3 CT.

PR2 Link

PR3 Link

I've had a few sets of the PR 2s and I usually end up changing the rear at least once before the front. I get around 8000 miles on a rear and 11-12 on a front. The PR2s are an awesome all around tire. I've ridden long distance, in the rain, at a track, even in the snow with them. The PR 3s are suppose to be even better.

Don't worry about "chicken strips". Anyone who judges you by the width of the unused portion of you're tire is not worth the time of day.

S

Shamus McFeeley

No problems with mixing the SAME brand and series of tire. I would never recommend mixing brands.