Need Help-Bike wont start!?

wdsoccer

Reaction score
Visit site
Im new to bikes and not very familiar with the electrical system. heres whats happening. my bike has not been starting up unless i push start it. when i push start it starts right up but wont start regular. i am not sure if it is a bad battery or i was told it could be the stator...? when i try to start it regular it wants to turn over but just cranks and then i hear the clickkkkkkk.

has this happened to anyone? what could it possibly be?

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
My $ is on the battery, given the rapid clicking sound. Especially if it's still the stock battery in your '04.

If you have an alternate form of transportation, and don't have a multimeter, you could pull the battery and take it to an auto-parts store that does free battery testing, and also carries a replacement, if that's the problem.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
100% on the battery. It's pooched and not holding a charge by the sounds of it. Mine is starting to do the same thing if I let my bike sit for a few weeks. When I go to start it, all I get is ClickCilckClickCilckClickCilck. After a night on the charger, it fires up just fine.

It's your battery dude. Go get a new one and you will be good to go.

wdsoccer

Reaction score
Visit site
My $ is on the battery, given the rapid clicking sound. Especially if it's still the stock battery in your '04.

If you have an alternate form of transportation, and don't have a multimeter, you could pull the battery and take it to an auto-parts store that does free battery testing, and also carries a replacement, if that's the problem.

i took it off and took it to autozone (where i work) and charged it, had 12.33 before and 12.76 after slow charge. thing is that we cannot test a motorcycle battery. all we can do to them is a voltage test so thats what i checked. i was leaning towards the battery as well because of the clicking (same as cars). good thing is that i get a discounted battery for working there. :)

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
As long as you didnt pour NOS energy drink in it, its the battery like everyone else said

:rof: High Performance for when you need to push your bike a long distance...
22oz_NOS-wcap-web.jpg

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
you cant test a battery but a voltage test after 30 min only shows the surface charge. hook up a multimeter and check the voltage when you try to crank it. it shouldn't drop below 9.6v. most likely for you it will. just because i tested mine before i swapped it and it went to 6v. berry berry baaad. new battery cranks at 10.6v for me now.

verdict will be that you need a new battery

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are making this more complicated than it needs to be. The fact that you can't get it to start via the starter, but once bump-started runs fine --> this tells you that the stator/alternator is running just fine. You need to remember that the battery ONLY helps start the bike. Once the engine is running, the stator/alternator runs all electrical and recharges the battery.

So there are two options of what can be wrong: 1) the battery, which is most likely or 2) the starter itself is going defunked, not likely.

Replace the battery and let us know how it is after that:thumbup:

rickawd

Reaction score
Visit site
i recently had the same kind of issue on my 2-3 month old bike. for me it turned out to be the regulator/rectifier which was not charging the battery properly; dealer replaced it under warranty. if your battery is 3-4 years old then its probably a good time to replace it, but you can't rule out the charging system.