need advice

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
Hi guys & Girls

I been thinking about selling both the electra-glide and the FZ6 and buying a yamaha FJR1300

my thoughts are I do not need 2 bikes and the FJR would be comfy for my wife yet still be quick and somewhat nimble

Had to get advice from those I trust.........

things I want to know ---
what am I thinking right

what am I missing

what other bikes should I consider

thanks

Mike

this is what i am up to as I type:
crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: Pacific Coast -- Seattle to San Diego, by Mike Miller

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
First of all, have you ridden the FJR? It's been a long time for me since the first year of its introduction. It's a great, great touring bike, so smooth it's like riding a Camery on 2 wheels. It is bulkier and not as nimble as the FZ of course. But you'll always arrive in style.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First thing is to get to try one for a couple of hours and take the wife with you. Find out if you like it first otherwise all the rest of the research is useless.

I like the look of them but I will stick to my California for touring.

Steve

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Wish I could help Mike but I've never ridden one. I have a friend who owns one and truly loves it. He does a lot of multi state touring and swears by it. That's about all I can offer.:D

Anthony

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 04 (bought it new in 04 )and love it except for the heat. Did all the heat mods and its helped. I live in SW Florida so its friggin hot anyway... Winter time is when it shines....

Gen II's 06 and up are slightly different, Yamaha did some min mods to help with the heat, slightly higher gearing too (doesn't wheelie as easily as my 04)... The FJR is definitly heavier than the fz but you have 145 hp at 7,000 rpm, so you dont have to wind it up high to haul ass.... It IS faster than the FZ, even with its weight...I've wheelied in first and second, without clutching it, run up to about 4k, back off the throttle and then hit it.. The front WILL come up... Good for around town or road trips.. I usually leave the bags off...

Scott

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The new concourse bike, 1400, is a very, nice bike however the leg heat is really bad(rode a new one home from the shop about 20 miles) and the side bags block half the mirror's view. I've HEARD, the ST also has heat issues....

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, if I had the two bikes that you currently have, I'd keep them. One is a huge tourer, one is nice and nimble. I'd prefer to have two that were each really good at their task, rather than one that was half way.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
You have got to give the Goldwing some consideration, the ultimate tourer and has been known to shock and amaze the most die hard riders with its handling and performance.

Reaction score
Visit site
Co-worker on Hilo has a 1300 and it is a very sweet bike. Power is not an issue. He got it in Virginia last year.

Unless the money is just burning a hole in our pocket, I would venture to say keep what you have and save the coins for a rainy day.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the Goldwing is a sweet bike(I had an 04), its pretty nimble for its size and very, very comfy. Longs days on it are a piece of cake..

They do have some inherent problems, (regular steering head bearings, not tapered), tend to get the decel shake, had some transmission problems (don't know if they fixed em) and are a PIA to work on. ALOT of tupperware to remove, its basically a car, very shrunk down, its that tight underneath the plastic. Car sized alternators, cruise, am/fm/cd, intercoms, etc....

Honda warranty can also be an issue. To find a competant mechanic that knows the bike can also be an issue....

Scott

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
You have got to give the Goldwing some consideration, the ultimate tourer and has been known to shock and amaze the most die hard riders with its handling and performance.

I could not agree more. If you can afford one, the Goldwing is certainly a contender. I had the chance to put about 15 miles on one on two different occasions this summer and it was simply amazing. Despite weighing twice as much, it balances better and handles lighter than the FZ6 by a long shot. The motor, transmission and clutch are simply amazing- smooth as can be and without much effort you can shift the thing almost as smoothly as an automatic. Add in the built in radio and navi, heated seat and heated grips.......... and the set is comfortable as all get-out. If you're looking to get a significant other to ride with you too the Wing is unbeatable, the back seat on that thing is like a lazy boy.